Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Funny how the same people didn't say the same when Rosberg got the bad luck last year or when Button had problems in 2012.

First of all, Rosberg didn't have a streak of two let alone four races in a row when things out of his hands went wrong. The amount of points lost due to no fault of the driver was fairly equal in 2015, just as it was in 2014. 2016 so far has been completely one sided (bad) luck-wise, hence people complain.

Regarding Button, I think bringing up 2012 to prove that he was unlucky considering the amount of points Lewis lost that season due to no fault of his own is a bold statement to say the least.

Consecutive races or not he had his fair share and then some. It's not really that bold. Merely pointing out that both of his teammates that were supposedly favoured according to the theorists had bad luck as well.
You don't actually believe it do you? :#
Merc aren't going to pay the guy 30mil+ just to sabotage him. It's nonsense.
Of course they would sabotage him.
In other news the British royal family are all lizards and the earth is flat.
Not even kidding, people who legit believe Hamilton is being sabotaged, should be lined up and shot. Of all the stupid things about F1, the Lewis Hamilton-fanbase is by far the most idiotic.  Bet it's the same type that always say that (bad) luck evens out at the end of a season, as if luck even gives a (lol it rhymes) about being fair.
Jiggy said:
Not even kidding, people who legit believe Hamilton is being sabotaged, should be lined up and shot. Of all the stupid things about F1, the Lewis Hamilton-fanbase is by far the most idiotic.  Bet it's the same type that always say that (bad) luck evens out at the end of a season, as if luck even gives a (lol it rhymes) about being fair.
"As if luck even gives a" what?! Muck? Tuck? Puck?

oh wait... Duck! As if luck even gives a duck. #amirite 
You don't actually believe it do you? :#

Where did I ever say I believed any of these theories? I believe all this is down to sheer incompetence, that's all. Still sucks though.
Sheer incompetence is a bit harsh. There's not much anyone could've done to avoid it, all the manufacturer's engines suffer some reliability problems throughout a season. 

That said, it is weird Mercedes' are now running in to all these problems after such a faultless winter testing. My theory is since Mercedes' never did proper qualifying simulation in winter testing they probably never used full power (or "quali mode") for any significant length of time, and now they've had a car encounter a problem twice in a row in qualifying. Seems a bit coincidental. 

Although admittedly the hole in that theory is I wouldn't expect Mercedes' to miss something so fundamental, and also both Hamilton and Rosberg had issues during the race. 
Jiggy said:
lol of course Colt disagrees with it.
I just don't feel like people need to be lined up and shot for any reason, especially not this one. Apart from that, I haven't seen any empirical numbers on how much more or less idiotic LHs fanbase is compared to any other fanbase. Pretty sure you can find a group of morons within any fanbase. Verstappen fans who keep talking about him winning the next Grand Prix for example. And I'm not even taking into account the enormous praise he has received from them in the past.

But just to make you feel better, I agree with your latest comment. ;)
I just don't feel like people need to be lined up and shot for any reason, especially not this one. Apart from that, I haven't seen any empirical numbers on how much more or less idiotic LHs fanbase is compared to any other fanbase. Pretty sure you can find a group of morons within any fanbase. Verstappen fans who keep talking about him winning the next Grand Prix for example. And I'm not even taking into account the enormous praise he has received from them in the past.

But just to make you feel better, I agree with your latest comment. ;)
Despite me stating "I'm not kidding", I actually was kidding, which should've been obvious, so that last line about making me feel better is out of place if you're going to say something about that.

I haven't seen a single Verstappen-fan state that he will win the next GP and I'm pretty sure there isn't an online movement suggesting he will. There is with Hamilton-fans suggesting Mercedes are sabotaging him on purpose. Fans do praise Verstappen. It has no meaning though whether you take it into account or not. The scenario manufactored and the other that's a very normal and quite common one for most promising drivers are obviously not on the same level as a scenario where it's suggested a driver is being sabotaged because he's not winning every single race of every single season. We're talking about support hoping a driver does well versus paranoia because a driver isn't doing well. In terms of results obviously.

It's only the #TeamLH fanbase that you'll see on Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook with all the #IgnoreTheHaters, YAAAAAS, SLAAAAAY-talk in abundance. Not only that, they consistently come up with these paranoid, abusive, hyper-sensitive posts everytime Lewis has a bad race. Monaco 2014 and 2015. Basically every time Mercedes made a mistake, they go nuts. I used to follow some of them. They were dreadful. Take a fun look to a Mercedes-tweet and see the responses everytime something happens to Hamilton. It's idiotic. Or use hashtags like #TeamLH.

It's them that are the most prominent on social media and it's them that as a whole reacts like morons most of the time. Other drivers don't have a fanbase like Hamilton that large that reacts that stupidly that often.
Jiggy said:
Despite me stating "I'm not kidding", I actually was kidding, which should've been obvious, so that last line about making me feel better is out of place if you're going to say something about that.
I could've sworn you were serious about that. ;)

Jiggy said:

I haven't seen a single Verstappen-fan state that he will win the next GP
You might want to take a look at the Autosport Forum then.

Jiggy said:
 We're talking about support hoping a driver does well versus paranoia because a driver isn't doing well.
You're the one talking about that. I'm talking about praise that goes beyond what I would consider to be normal. And people being overly sensitive towards any slight possibility of negativity towards Max. Obviously, that's just as stupid as claiming that Lewis is being sabotaged by a team which helped him win two WDCs in the past. At least for me.

Jiggy said:
It's only the #TeamLH fanbase that you'll see on Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook with all the #IgnoreTheHaters, YAAAAAS, SLAAAAAY-talk in abundance. Not only that, they consistently come up with these paranoid, abusive, hyper-sensitive posts everytime Lewis has a bad race. Monaco 2014 and 2015. Basically every time Mercedes made a mistake, they go nuts. I used to follow some of them. They were dreadful. Take a fun look to a Mercedes-tweet and see the responses everytime something happens to Hamilton. It's idiotic. Or use hashtags like #TeamLH.

It's them that are the most prominent on social media and it's them that as a whole reacts like morons most of the time. Other drivers don't have a fanbase like Hamilton that large that reacts that stupidly that often.
So now we're not just talking about nutters seeing conspiracies everywhere, but casual LH-fans using certain hashtags? Can't help but feel that your hatred towards Hamilton and everything and everyone in any way related to him isn't fruitful for a serious discussion, so I'll leave this one.

#teamLH
#godisthegreatest (and that's coming from an agnostic)
#blessed

Can we just agree that every fanbase has its morons, but the LH fanbase section of morons is more exposed and obvious than any other - especially across twitter which is the biggest form of social media. I can't say I've ever personally seen anything along the same lines with Verstappen, but I don't monitor every corner of the of the internet so I can't say it doesn't.

Ultimately the biggest problem with the LH fanbase is the teenage female demographic. That's where most of the hashtags and obsessive behaviour comes from. I always remember Singapore GP qualifying last year, when a tweet popped up on my timeline saying something along the lines of "Ugh I don't like all this competition. Back to Lewis winning every race again please". When he's retired they're the kind of fans who will hopefully just lose interest in F1 - because they're not F1 fans, they're Lewis Hamilton fans. 

On a completely separate but sort of relatable note though, this is why F1 should be so careful with things like fan surveys, because listening to fans like this on where to take the future of the sport is a very dangerous thing to do. Just because you have a large group of similar opinions does not mean those opinions have come from a good source. 
I can agree with this. Then again, it's not as if huge parts of social media platforms like FB or Twitter have ever been the place for serious philosophical debates among clever people, so don't be surprised if you meet an awful lot of idiots around there.
So it's settled.

Some Hamilton fans are #blessed (whatever the heck that means) and prone to believing in absurd conspiracy theories whenever he loses.

Some Verstappen fans are making sure they can say "I told you so" or "I supported him when everyone doubted him" if and when he is successful.

And Rio fans... Well there's a lot of them (I mean his twitter followers is on his resume) and are slightly delusional.

Rosberg fans (if that's even a thing) are the most unobjectionable fans... Which is fitting for the most unobjectionable driver.

And as always... Raikkonen fans don't care.
Jiggy said:
I could've sworn you were serious about that. ;)

Jiggy said:

I haven't seen a single Verstappen-fan state that he will win the next GP
You might want to take a look at the Autosport Forum then.

Jiggy said:
 We're talking about support hoping a driver does well versus paranoia because a driver isn't doing well.
You're the one talking about that. I'm talking about praise that goes beyond what I would consider to be normal. And people being overly sensitive towards any slight possibility of negativity towards Max. Obviously, that's just as stupid as claiming that Lewis is being sabotaged by a team which helped him win two WDCs in the past. At least for me.

Jiggy said:

So now we're not just talking about nutters seeing conspiracies everywhere, but casual LH-fans using certain hashtags? Can't help but feel that your hatred towards Hamilton and everything and everyone in any way related to him isn't fruitful for a serious discussion, so I'll leave this one.

#teamLH
#godisthegreatest (and that's coming from an agnostic)
#blessed

Thanks for splitting that up, makes it easier to respond to.

I'm not on the Autosport-forum, so I'm going to have to trust you on your word then. I'm not going to do that though. As I said, we're talking about a support for a driver versus paranoia because someone isn't doing well. You said it yourself, it's about Max being overly praised. Every driver has that. Bottas had that, Hulkenberg had that, Ricciardo had that. There are big differences in the issues that you describe and the ones that I describe. Mine happens on a bigger platform, by a bigger group, in a more irrational manner to the point a Formula One-team had to come out and write open letters in defence. Hamilton had to do the same. Yours happen on a forum. A big forum, but still a forum. Hardly noticeable by the people in question and nobody is getting abuse over it, other than maybe other people on said forum.

Sending abuse towards actual members of the Mercedes-team is way, way more insane than getting sensitive on a forum, how is that the same? It's one thing getting mad over your opinions being challenged, but this is fabricating Illuminati-ish nonsense just because Hamilton's car is breaking down a lot + going bonkers to the team over it.

"So now we're not just talking about nutters seeing conspiracies everywhere, but casual LH-fans using certain hashtags?"
Did I ever suggest anything otherwise? I'm calling them idiotic, I'm giving more reasons why I think that, then I added more situations where they reacted similar to how they are handling the current controversy. It's not like I jumped off any point or made it about a completely different subject. You have a problem with understanding what I'm saying, you interpret things in an odd way. Suggesting I have a hatred for Hamilton is an example of that and a very annoying one at that. It's like if I said you're only mentioning Verstappen and exaggerating your gripe with his fans because I'm Dutch. But I'm not saying that because I don't think people taking issue to something I am fond of must have a personal motive behind it. And it would make me a hypocrite. But if you're going to assume things like that, then maybe it is for the best if you drop out of this discussion.

P.S. I actually like Hamilton. I just can't stand his fans.
P.P.S. Rio Haryanto's fans are really annoying.
VetteIfan said:
Can we just agree that every fanbase has its morons, but the LH fanbase section of morons is more exposed and obvious than any other - especially across twitter which is the biggest form of social media. I can't say I've ever personally seen anything along the same lines with Verstappen, but I don't monitor every corner of the of the internet so I can't say it doesn't.

Ultimately the biggest problem with the LH fanbase is the teenage female demographic. That's where most of the hashtags and obsessive behaviour comes from. I always remember Singapore GP qualifying last year, when a tweet popped up on my timeline saying something along the lines of "Ugh I don't like all this competition. Back to Lewis winning every race again please". When he's retired they're the kind of fans who will hopefully just lose interest in F1 - because they're not F1 fans, they're Lewis Hamilton fans. 

On a completely separate but sort of relatable note though, this is why F1 should be so careful with things like fan surveys, because listening to fans like this on where to take the future of the sport is a very dangerous thing to do. Just because you have a large group of similar opinions does not mean those opinions have come from a good source. 
And males + old people in their mid 20s acting like teenage females.
Jiggy said:

Thanks for splitting that up, makes it easier to respond to.

I'm not on the Autosport-forum, so I'm going to have to trust you on your word then. I'm not going to do that though. As I said, we're talking about a support for a driver versus paranoia because someone isn't doing well. You said it yourself, it's about Max being overly praised. Every driver has that. Bottas had that, Hulkenberg had that, Ricciardo had that. There are big differences in the issues that you describe and the ones that I describe. Mine happens on a bigger platform, by a bigger group, in a more irrational manner to the point a Formula One-team had to come out and write open letters in defence. Hamilton had to do the same. Yours happen on a forum. A big forum, but still a forum. Hardly noticeable by the people in question and nobody is getting abuse over it, other than maybe other people on said forum.

Sending abuse towards actual members of the Mercedes-team is way, way more insane than getting sensitive on a forum, how is that the same? It's one thing getting mad over your opinions being challenged, but this is fabricating Illuminati-ish nonsense just because Hamilton's car is breaking down a lot + going bonkers to the team over it.

"So now we're not just talking about nutters seeing conspiracies everywhere, but casual LH-fans using certain hashtags?"
Did I ever suggest anything otherwise? I'm calling them idiotic, I'm giving more reasons why I think that, then I added more situations where they reacted similar to how they are handling the current controversy. It's not like I jumped off any point or made it about a completely different subject. You have a problem with understanding what I'm saying, you interpret things in an odd way. Suggesting I have a hatred for Hamilton is an example of that and a very annoying one at that. It's like if I said you're only mentioning Verstappen and exaggerating your gripe with his fans because I'm Dutch. But I'm not saying that because I don't think people taking issue to something I am fond of must have a personal motive behind it. And it would make me a hypocrite. But if you're going to assume things like that, then maybe it is for the best if you drop out of this discussion.

P.S. I actually like Hamilton. I just can't stand his fans.
P.P.S. Rio Haryanto's fans are really annoying.
You know what: You're right. I agree about the two things we were talking about being quite different, now that you've explained it this way.
It's just that I think you shouldn't throw all LH-fans in the same pot. Tbh, I cringe quite a lot reading what some of my fellow LH-fans say. I even argue with them whenever I feel they're being ridiculous. And what sucks is that - at least that's my impression - you don't seem to make a distinction between someone like me, and someone who claims that Mercedes are deliberately manipulating the outcome of this championship. And in return, I give you some sh*t back. ;)

No hard feelings.
So it's settled.

Some Hamilton fans are #blessed (whatever the heck that means) and prone to believing in absurd conspiracy theories whenever he loses.

Some Verstappen fans are making sure they can say "I told you so" or "I supported him when everyone doubted him" if and when he is successful.

And Rio fans... Well there's a lot of them (I mean his twitter followers is on his resume) and are slightly delusional.

Rosberg fans (if that's even a thing) are the most unobjectionable fans... Which is fitting for the most unobjectionable driver.

And as always... Raikkonen fans don't care.
What about Vettel fans?
  • UP100 pinned this topic