Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

MBKF1 said:
Do you watch Ted's Notebook? He tried to talk to her after the Australian GP while she was running from the pit wall to the garage but she wasn't having any of it.
Hughesy said:
Who's that?                                                 
You don't know who she is? She worked at Ferrari before Haas and is the race strategist
http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/news/alumna-ruth-buscombe-formula-one-scuderia-ferrari-strategist-joins-haas-f1-team
https://twitter.com/ruthbuscombe

Ahh yea, I remember now. She's pretty hot ;) 
Jiggy said:
mike96 said:
I never really liked it in Gran Turismo :p 
I always hated driving Suzuka in games and basically overdrove the **** out of Fuji. Like I've done a lot of laps on Fuji.
Imdeed I struggle around Suizuka in car races in my bike games I've got I'm OK around it though. Fuji I've only driven on a couple of old touring car style games not had the chance to race an F1 round it though in any game.
Something I was thinking about the other day. I think we're past the worst of the 'pay driver' days in Formula 1. With nearly every team having some kind of young driver programme, they pick the best they can get and bring them through, so they don't need paying. Yes you do get the odd reserve driver who clearly has the cash, but the top drivers will usually be on some young driver programme.

Look at Verstappen, Sainz, Ocon, Vandoorne, Wehrlein, Leclerc, for example. They're probably the next big things in F1 and all of them are on young driver programmes. They're not pay drivers. It's so refreshing.

That was terribly worded I know, but do you get what I mean?
And the pay-drivers that do break through are usually quite okay as well. They're not terribly off the pace and don't embarrass themselves by looking like an amateur.

Although a Maldonado did had his issues. But Perez, Palmer, Ericsson and Nasr are okay. Most of them a bit boring, but it used to be a lot worse in the sense that people were happy with Pedro Diniz' abilities for a pay driver.
Yes they can make progress and they clearly have since 2015, but how can they honestly expect to beat Mercedes when both of them are making improvements to the engine. Mercedes are still finding more and more power, and no matter how much Honda make up, Mercedes will still keep pushing forward.

I don't see McLaren winning a championship for at least 3 more years. Alonso won't win a championship next year.
VetteIfan said:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-will-dethrone-mercedes-says-dennis-739539/

Just thought I'd share this as I found it quite amusing. One Q3 appearance and the delusionalists at McLaren think it's 1988 again 
Stuff like that makes me don't feel bad at all about being happy at McLaren's situation in recent seasons.
Problem with McLaren is, even if they managed to produce a car capable of winning a championship, they still screw up in so many other areas (2012).
It still boggles my mind to this day that McLaren managed to lose the 2007 championship. With just 2 races to go, Hamilton was 17 points ahead of Raikkonen with 20 remaining. All Hamilton had to do was score 7 points over the final 2 races (which was almost guaranteed when you look at the rest of the season), and the championship was his. That's like getting a 5th and a 6th.

And then bang, one retirement and a dodgy gearbox and he loses it, with Raikkonen having faultless weekends and winning both. Why oh why oh why did McLaren not just change Lewis' tyres earlier? Even if it meant he finished 2nd, it still would have given him the title.

I know I sound like a real Lewis fanboy here, but that should have been his year. He drove superbly, and with such maturity for a rookie, he was so far ahead.

If you then take the unreliability of the 2012 season and the couple of times where McLaren f*cked up pit stops and whatever, that probably should have given him the 2012 title too. He could very easily be a 5x world champion by now, it pains me.
fIsince08 said:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/24/monza-planning-tear-first-chicane/

Monza could be about to destroy the Curva Grande...
I kinda like the look of that! A longer straight for even higher top speeds and a crazy fast first corner. Yea, we'd lose one of the main overtaking spots, and it'd be sad to not go round Curva Grande, but with the current first chicane it's more of a curved straight these days anyway than a corner.
At first I was a bit annoyed when I heard the news, but this proposal doesn't look too bad actually. It's good that they'll be bypassing the first chicane so they'll be arriving at the new one at full pelt.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I didn't rank Curva Grande as a particularly amazing corner in the first place. The first chicane got rid of the challenge and made it into a curved straight effectively. However, there's no denying it is an amazing corner without the first chicane, going through there at 230mph + is mega.

The proposed design would see greater speeds through that right hand kink and it is more of a challenge which is a good thing. I think this proposal would also see a faster lap time which is sort of what Monza is all about. I'd be fine with the change.

The only problem is, I think that first right hand kink might reduce overtaking opportunities, as there will probably be one racing line through there, so it'll be tough to go side by side through it. But at the same time, there's more straight now so overtakes might happen before the corner. We'll have to see. 
Mexicola said:
Very good interview with Hamilton, rare chance to witness a 30 minute in-depth chat with a current F1 driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei4uWo5B_9U
This is a good interview. When he's asked good questions about F1 and his driving experiences, Lewis is actually a really good interviewee. This is sometimes lost in the Sky F1 interviews where it's "do you have any new tattoos?" or "what was the inspiration behind this cap design?". 

MBKF1 said:
If you then take the unreliability of the 2012 season and the couple of times where McLaren f*cked up pit stops and whatever, that probably should have given him the 2012 title too. He could very easily be a 5x world champion by now, it pains me.
Make that 6x if you include 2010, although in that instance he actually screwed it up for himself. With 6 races to go it was in his hands, but the mistakes in Monza, Singapore and Korea cost him at least 31 points - easily enough to take the title. 
Even with the mistakes, the car failure in Spain in the final laps was enough. He lost 18 that day and was only 16 behind in the end. On the same token though, Vettel's mechanical issues in Bahrain, Melbourne and Korea more than made up for that loss. Without the issues, 2010 wouldn't have been nearly as exciting though.
I think all of the top 5 made huge mistakes throughout 2010. You could also argue that Singapore wasn't Lewis' fault entirely. And then again, where did JB finish in Korea that year? The McLaren was dreadful to drive that weekend and Lewis - despite a few lock ups - made a hell of a better job than JB who finished outside the points.
I still think that 2010 was one of his best performances ever given the car was hardly ever the one to beat.
  • UP100 pinned this topic