Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

Yep, he did a great job dragging that BMW to 4th place at the end. Especially given that BMW abandoned a huge upgrade somewhere around the middle of the season to focus on building a championship winning car for 2009 early on which meant the development on their 2008 car stopped somewhere around July.

Didn't turn out well for 2009 though.

Btw, I was rooting for BMW a bit in 2007 and 2008, they were such a cool team and it was nice to see them getting closer and closer to the nearly invincible Ferraris and McLarens.

Latest driver rumours for 2017:
  • Mercedes: Hamilton and Rosberg
  • Ferrari: Vettel and Raikkonen
  • Red Bull: Ricciardo and Verstappen
  • Williams: Button and Bottas
  • Force India: Hulkenberg and Perez
  • Renault: Magnussen and Palmer/Sainz
  • Toro Rosso: Gasly and Sainz/Kvyat
  • Sauber: £££ and €€€
  • McLaren: Alonso and Vandoorne
  • Manor: Wehrlein and $$$
  • Haas: Grosjean and Gutierrez

Ah, another perfect opportunity to shamelessly promote my blog! I wrote a piece last week about my take on the 2017 silly season, so you can read all my thoughts on it here. https://droptheclutch.wordpress.com/2016/05/19/f12017sillyseason/

In short though, this is what I think / hope will happen.
  • MERCEDES | Lewis HAMILTON | Nico ROSBERG
  • FERRARI | Sebastian VETTEL | Kimi RAIKKONEN
  • RED BULL | Daniel RICCIARDO | Max VERSTAPPEN
  • WILLIAMS | Valtteri BOTTAS | Alex LYNN
  • TORO ROSSO | Carlos SAINZ | Pierre GASLY
  • McLAREN | Fernando ALONSO | Stoffel VANDOORNE
  • FORCE INDIA | Sergio PEREZ | Nico HULKENBERG
  • HAAS | Romain GROSJEAN | Esteban GUTIERREZ
  • RENAULT | Kevin MAGNUSSEN | Daniil KVYAT
  • SAUBER | Felipe NASR | Marcus ERICSSON
  • MANOR | Pascal WEHRLEIN | Esteban OCON

Here's my wishful thinking!

• MERCEDES | Lewis HAMILTON | Fernando ALONSO
  • FERRARI | Sebastian VETTEL | Nico ROSBERG
  • WILLIAMS | Valtteri BOTTAS | Daniil KVYAT
  • McLAREN | Jenson BUTTON | Stoffel VANDOORNE
  • HAAS | Romain GROSJEAN | Alexander ROSSI
  • RENAULT | Kevin MAGNUSSEN | Jolyon PALMER
  • SAUBER | Dean STONEMAN | Marcus ERICSSON

Here's my wishful thinking!

• MERCEDES | Lewis HAMILTON | Fernando ALONSO
  • FERRARI | Sebastian VETTEL | Nico ROSBERG
  • WILLIAMS | Valtteri BOTTAS | Daniil KVYAT
  • McLAREN | Jenson BUTTON | Stoffel VANDOORNE
  • HAAS | Romain GROSJEAN | Alexander ROSSI
  • RENAULT | Kevin MAGNUSSEN | Jolyon PALMER
  • SAUBER | Dean STONEMAN | Marcus ERICSSON
I'd love to see Rossi in a Haas!

Only way I can see Rosberg moving to Ferrari is if he loses out to Hamilton again and that's assuming Ferrari don't keep Raikkonen on. He's been closer to Vettel this season so far so if he keeps it up I don't see them changing. I don't think Alonso would risk moving right before the reg changes anyway and I'd be surprised if Mclaren didn't keep Button as well for the first season with the new regs. But Vandoorne shouldn't be without a drive. Maybe Williams if Button doesn't or even Renault if either Magnussen or Palmer get the boot. (Wouldn't that be annoying for Magnussen if he was left without a drive because of Mclaren again even after leaving them!)

Yeah I don't think there's gonna be much of a shake up drive wise next year. Verstappen obviously, but we all knew that. 

Maybe something happens with Massa, Button, Raikkonen, or Alonso but I doubt much. I doubt Ferrari will drop Kimi, he's been doing pretty well so far. I don't think dropping Massa for Button is all the much of an improvement. While yes Button is better, but why swap a (probably) soon to retire driver for another (probably) soon to retire driver? 

And Merc isn't going to drop either of their drivers, even for Alonso. If either drive decides to leave, that's a different story. But why would they leave? They have the best car and even Rosberg knows he won't win without it. 

There were some mild rumours last week that Rosberg had been in talks with Ferrari, but it's a nothing story really. Seems like most of you guys have already sacked Massa, I think he'll stay on because Williams won't build up the courage to do so. Even though they'll know there are better options out there. 

The biggest story is going to be McLaren. There's no way they can leave Vandoorne on the sidelines another year without expecting him to join another team. Therefore I think it will be Button's final year. 

Oh, and Alonso's never going to win another race again. In fact he'll be lucky to make it to the podium. I'm afraid that's the reality as far as Fernando is concerned. 

VetteIfan said:
There were some mild rumours last week that Rosberg had been in talks with Ferrari, but it's a nothing story really. Seems like most of you guys have already sacked Massa, I think he'll stay on because Williams won't build up the courage to do so. Even though they'll know there are better options out there. 

The biggest story is going to be McLaren. There's no way they can leave Vandoorne on the sidelines another year without expecting him to join another team. Therefore I think it will be Button's final year. 

Oh, and Alonso's never going to win another race again. In fact he'll be lucky to make it to the podium. I'm afraid that's the reality as far as Fernando is concerned. 
I wouldn't be so quick writing McLaren off for 2017. Just a gut-feeling.

Agree with the rest, Nico and Massa are going to stay. Kimi will stay at Ferrari for another year aswell.

VetteIfan said:

I wouldn't be so quick writing McLaren off for 2017. Just a gut-feeling.

Agree with the rest, Nico and Massa are going to stay. Kimi will stay at Ferrari for another year aswell.
Agreed as I think McLaren are starting to find their feet again they're certainly more competitive this year than last and I think that'll only improve given that both Button and Alonso know how to win given they both are former champs. Granted they're coming towards the end of their careers but still they know how to drive and drive fast. I don't think they'd ever lose that. Because I think that both Button and Alonso will both know when they've left their peak and can't push themselves to that level anymore. Also what with Button's fitness regime he has there's a good  chance he  may be able to extend himself for a few more years yet. It's just a question of whether he wants to.

fIsince08 said:
Doesn't Spa's contract expire this year too? Im sure it was a 3 year deal starting in 2014.

I doubt Spa will be going anywhere because it's one of F1's few remaining classics not that Bernie cares too much for that only money it seems these days.
I just looked it up and apparently it has a deal to 2018 anyway.

Imola would only return if there was more money in it than Monza which is ashame. I would rather have Imola as the European GP instead of  Azerbaijan because to be honest Azerbaijan doesn't even look that good and it's only there cause of money. I think Bernie should go he doesn't no what he's doing anymore

• UP100 pinned this topic