Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

Jiggy said:
Except for Kimi. He's rude, but a cool rude like Rick.

Or Alonso with his heavily sarcastic ass.
Sorry bud, but both of them too :p

First thing that springs to mind with Kimi is how much he moans about blue flags and backmarkers :p And with Alonso his shouting about his engine being a GP2 engine last year... Yea lol.
Yeah, they whine too, but they're cool about it. Alonso and Kimi should be like a crime fighting duo, one always shows up drunk at the job and gets scolded at the job, the other one replies with infuriatingly sarcastic remarks when he gets told to fix his partner.
Neither of them really can care less. Their nicknames are The Wind and The Mist. (on a sidenote, this stupid forum keeps trying to force me to use emojis, fuck off with pensive lad, I don't want it and I can't delete it either, swear to God I'm going to beat up a panda because of this shit)

I feel for Ricciardo. After the past two races I had hopes that maybe Merc would drop Rosberg and pick up Ricciardo. I know Merc have consistently said they want to keep Rosberg but I had hope. 

It could be a good choice for Ricciardo. The Renault engine is getting much better and with the biggest changes next year being aero, Red Bull might have a good shot. The problem is he'll likely be teamed with Verstappen, and there's the risk of Ricciardo becoming like Webber was to Vettel. Ricciardo won't necessarily be treated as a clear number 1 driver at Red Bull... but neither will any other team currently.

Vettel speaking with Will Buxton about who he'd like as his teammate next year he said something along the lines of "if Kimi wants to keep going"

Not sure if that means the balls in Kimi's court or if it was just Seb's way of saying it. To me it almost sounds like Ferrari have asked Kimi to stay. 

• 2 weeks later...
I got bored so decided to find some new F1 Sporcle quizzes. These 3 are quite good, a couple of them completely random, but they're all pretty challenging, give 'em a go.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Pastor_Maldonado/nicorosbergfun
http://www.sporcle.com/games/JohnFrusciante/f1-monaco-gp-scorers-1950-1999
http://www.sporcle.com/games/bradvan/all-time-formula-e-drivers

My scores were:
1) Anyone but Rosberg quiz: 62/75
2) Monaco GP scorers: 156/271 (poor, were so many names on there I forgot about)
3) Formula E drivers: 28/42 (again, poor effort, were loads I forgot again)

Watching F1 Austria 1999 on Sky, every time I watch an old race I really miss the old engines. I don't care if I get called a dinosaur because they ruin the planet bla bla bla,  but I miss these engines, sound is one of things that first drew me to F1. The new engines sound slow even though they clearly aren't, ever since they went to the same size engine as my VW Golf I don't get the same enjoyment even with my surround sound turned up. 

MBKF1 said:
I got bored so decided to find some new F1 Sporcle quizzes. These 3 are quite good, a couple of them completely random, but they're all pretty challenging, give 'em a go.

My scores were:
2) Monaco GP scorers: 156/271 (poor, were so many names on there I forgot about)

Tried the "Anyone but Rosberg" quiz. Only got 52. Couldn't remember anyone who made their debut in 2006, but for some reason could remember all the drivers to get a podium with a Toyota engine. It's weird what information our brains decide to retain. 

Hughesy said:
Watching F1 Austria 1999 on Sky, every time I watch an old race I really miss the old engines. I don't care if I get called a dinosaur because they ruin the planet bla bla bla,  but I miss these engines, sound is one of things that first drew me to F1. The new engines sound slow even though they clearly aren't, ever since they went to the same size engine as my VW Golf I don't get the same enjoyment even with my surround sound turned up. 
This is a problem which I thought only affected me, especially when they were first introduced in 2014. It's amazing how much slower they feel onboard on the straights when they're revving ~6000rpm less than the V8's, despite them actually reaching much higher speeds.

They're a different animal in the flesh, but unfortunately still quieter than the GP2 and Porsche Supercup cars. That's the main disappointment. 

VetteIfan said:
MBKF1 said:

My scores were:

Tried the "Anyone but Rosberg" quiz. Only got 52. Couldn't remember anyone who made their debut in 2006, but for some reason could remember all the drivers to get a podium with a Toyota engine. It's weird what information our brains decide to retain. 

Hughesy said:
This is a problem which I thought only affected me, especially when they were first introduced in 2014. It's amazing how much slower they feel onboard on the straights when they're revving ~6000rpm less than the V8's, despite them actually reaching much higher speeds.

They're a different animal in the flesh, but unfortunately still quieter than the GP2 and Porsche Supercup cars. That's the main disappointment. 
I don't get the slowness of the new engines, but I absolutely agree with the last part. I'm one of the biggest advocates of the V6s but my instant biggest disappointment when I heard them last year was how quiet they are. You really can't hear them coming until they're right upon you.

They do sound organic and the Honda especially roars when it is upon you though. The Honda is the loudest of the lot but even then, last year it was only about as loud as a BTCC car.

EDIT: This oculd be interesting, Dietrich Matechitz is thinking about reopening the old part of the Osterreichring between turns 1 and 2 of the new track:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125068/old-osterreichring-loop-could-return-for-2017

It's a pity they won't bring back the whole track back but it's a start.

VetteIfan said:
You're right, it is odd what we remember. As it happens I somehow managed to remember all of the 2006 debutants, but was very poor on the drivers who hadn't won a race. Weird huh.
fIsince08 said:
I don't get the slowness of the new engines, but I absolutely agree with the last part. I'm one of the biggest advocates of the V6s but my instant biggest disappointment when I heard them last year was how quiet they are. You really can't hear them coming until they're right upon you.

They do sound organic and the Honda especially roars when it is upon you though. The Honda is the loudest of the lot but even then, last year it was only about as loud as a BTCC car.
Whenever I watch F1 compilation videos which have clips from the V10 / V8 / V6 Hybrid eras, I am always hugely disappointed at how dull the current engines sound in comparison. Just when I think they're sounding good, I hear a V8 or V10 and weep at how much better they were. I remember going to watch tyre testing in 2005 at Silverstone and just going WOW when I got there. There's a tunnel with a path which used to run right next to the old circuit, and I remember walking through it and being slightly scared at these howling engines. I think this was one of the things that got me properly hooked as a kid.

I can't say myself as I haven't heard the new V6 Hybrid engines yet (although that will change as of 2 weeks as I'm going to watch the F1 testing at Silverstone after the Grand Prix, can't wait!), but I get the feeling these new engines won't have the same effect on little kids these days as they did with me 11 years ago.

fIsince08 said:
This oculd be interesting, Dietrich Matechitz is thinking about reopening the old part of the Osterreichring between turns 1 and 2 of the new track:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125068/old-osterreichring-loop-could-return-for-2017

I really hope and pray this happens. There's enough space for them to re-design the circuit to comply with modern day circuit safety requirements, and I'm sure they'll be able to keep the old character of the circuit. Fantastic, fingers crossed Formula 1 will be racing on it in a couple of years time.

MBKF1 said:
VetteIfan said:
You're right, it is odd what we remember. As it happens I somehow managed to remember all of the 2006 debutants, but was very poor on the drivers who hadn't won a race. Weird huh.
fIsince08 said:

Whenever I watch F1 compilation videos which have clips from the V10 / V8 / V6 Hybrid eras, I am always hugely disappointed at how dull the current engines sound in comparison. Just when I think they're sounding good, I hear a V8 or V10 and weep at how much better they were. I remember going to watch tyre testing in 2005 at Silverstone and just going WOW when I got there. There's a tunnel with a path which used to run right next to the old circuit, and I remember walking through it and being slightly scared at these howling engines. I think this was one of the things that got me properly hooked as a kid.

I can't say myself as I haven't heard the new V6 Hybrid engines yet (although that will change as of 2 weeks as I'm going to watch the F1 testing at Silverstone after the Grand Prix, can't wait!), but I get the feeling these new engines won't have the same effect on little kids these days as they did with me 11 years ago.

fIsince08 said:
This oculd be interesting, Dietrich Matechitz is thinking about reopening the old part of the Osterreichring between turns 1 and 2 of the new track:

I really hope and pray this happens. There's enough space for them to re-design the circuit to comply with modern day circuit safety requirements, and I'm sure they'll be able to keep the old character of the circuit. Fantastic, fingers crossed Formula 1 will be racing on it in a couple of years time.
Blimey, was that tunnel open back then as well? I didn't know what, that'd be incredible. I stood at Brooklands last year for qualifying and I only heard the cars on another part of the track once. It's not like it's a million miles from the pits either. I must admit, though, it's the speed of the cars that got me into the sport, not the sound.

fIsince08 said:
Blimey, was that tunnel open back then as well? I didn't know what, that'd be incredible. I stood at Brooklands last year for qualifying and I only heard the cars on another part of the track once. It's not like it's a million miles from the pits either. I must admit, though, it's the speed of the cars that got me into the sport, not the sound.
Yep, it was open back then too! For anyone that doesn't know what we're talking about, it's a tiny corrugated metal tunnel under the service road bridge just before the old Bridge corner, and it runs right next to the circuit. It's where this pin is dropped on the map.

Ah dear, it's such a shame to hear that, and as you say, Brooklands isn't far away at all from the pits when you think of Silverstone as a whole. Are you going again to the Grand Prix this year?

I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised when I go in a couple of weeks. I think I'm gonna go on both days, I want to make the most of both pit walks afterwards!!

MBKF1 said:
fIsince08 said:
Yep, it was open back then too! For anyone that doesn't know what we're talking about, it's a tiny corrugated metal tunnel under the service road bridge just before the old Bridge corner, and it runs right next to the circuit. It's where this pin is dropped on the map.

Ah dear, it's such a shame to hear that, and as you say, Brooklands isn't far away at all from the pits when you think of Silverstone as a whole. Are you going again to the Grand Prix this year?

I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised when I go in a couple of weeks. I think I'm gonna go on both days, I want to make the most of both pit walks afterwards!!
Sadly I'm not, I only got to go last year because my school were running a trip on the cheap (relatively speaking) and for some reason they aren't doing it this year. And as I've now left I won't be able to go next year if they run one  :'(.

As I say though, the noise is good, there just isn't enough of it!

fIsince08 said:
VetteIfan said:
MBKF1 said:

My scores were:

Hughesy said:

EDIT: This oculd be interesting, Dietrich Matechitz is thinking about reopening the old part of the Osterreichring between turns 1 and 2 of the new track:

So that's why, they are so bad atm. They're using the BTCC engine! 

• UP100 pinned this topic