Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I thought it looked awful before but looking at it again and from this view..it's even worse. That wouldn't be much of a problem if it appeared like it would actually help in any way. The only thing it looks to do is hinder the drivers view that little bit.
The one good thing about it is you could put cameras on both sides of the top of it, one of them looking down on the driver and the other on the track, for some great low shots.

But still, it looks horrid. If F1 is going for cockpit protection then they should do it properly and go for a full canopy. This just looks like an afterthought. The car should be designed with cockpit protection in mind in the future.
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/751416288925347840

Apparently the Halo isn't going down well with the strategy group.
The Halo could act like a guillotine in the event of a T-bone collision. And in an event like in the Massa incident in 2009 the Halo could deflect little debris, such as a spring, and hit the driver's chest instead.
Engineers also criticized it due to the fact that it messes with rear downforce and the air intake.

Christian Horner wants the strategy group to vote on it, and currently the majority of the group is against it.
The halo was always a stupid design. It seeks to prevent an injury/death which is valid, except it will likely fail to prevent it. It will only deflect a tire (a risk seemingly solved with wheel tethers). It won't prevent  Massa, Bianci, or Wilson type incidents. 

Plus us it looks ridiculous. I get that looks should always come second to safety but this seems to fail both accounts. 

The RB design seems like it would at least be safer and it certainly looks better. Neither solution (or even full canopy) is perfect. They all present serious issues. Hopefully someone with some sense has the final say. 
MBKF1 said:
The one good thing about it is you could put cameras on both sides of the top of it, one of them looking down on the driver and the other on the track, for some great low shots.

But still, it looks horrid. If F1 is going for cockpit protection then they should do it properly and go for a full canopy. This just looks like an afterthought. The car should be designed with cockpit protection in mind in the future.
Almost looks like it has a camera hanging down from right in the centre of the hoop bud, kinda cool placement for a direct view of the drivers helmet.

But yea it still looks shit.
All these smart people and only now do they realize that it can be a hazard during a collision. They're lucky I decided to become a lawyer and not an engineer or something, or I'd be leading that field and fired at least 64% of those people indirectly by making them obsolete.

Juice29 said:
Mexicola said:
"Integrated" school run by bourgeois liberal scumbags, don't get me started.
oh boy I sense a rant coming
Oh, don't mind me. Just giving myself my daily dose of "the country's **NOT GOOD**, the system is **NOT GOOD*, the people are **NOT GOOD**, I'm **NOT GOOD** and my children are going to inherit my **NOT GOODNESS**".

But here, Formula 1's alright.

(did I just bypass the swear filter somehow?)
Testing times off this morning:
  1. Alonso, McLaren MP4-31, 1:31.498 (25 laps, soft tyres)
  2. Ocon, Mercedes W07, 1:33.465 (42 laps. medium tyres)
  3. Sainz, Toro Rosso STR11, 1:34.725 (41 laps, medium tyres)
  4. Wehrlein, Mercedes W05, 1:34.982 (36 laps, 2017 tyres)
  5. Lynn, Williams FW38, 1:35.174 (15 laps, medium tyres)
  6. Mazepin, Force India VJM09, 1:32.255 (21 laps, medium tyres)
  7. Ferrucci, Haas VF-16, 1:35.522 (25 laps, medium tyres)
  8. Leclerc, Ferrari SF16-H, 1:35.865 (8 laps, medium tyres)
  9. Haryanto, Manor MRT05, 1:36.082 (18 laps, medium tyres)
  10. Sirotkin, Renault RS16, 1:38.904 (19 laps, medium tyres)
  11. Gasly, Red Bull RB12, 1:43.891 (7 laps, medium tyres)
I went to the testing this afternoon! It absolutely pissed down on the drive there and when I arrived at about 1.30pm it was drizzling and it did so for the next couple of hours or so. It dried up towards the end but there were so few cars running they never ended up on slicks.

It was my first time seeing the new V6 hybrid cars, and I went along expecting to be disappointed at the noise, and by heck was I right. You remember when I spoke about the thrill the old engines gave me as a kid? None of that today, no earth shattering and body shaking noise. I could happily keep talking to my mate while they were going past at full pelt. You don't need ear plugs at all, just underwhelming. I reckon some of the GT cars in the WEC are louder than these F1 cars. Such a shame.

In the past, the car would go by you and you could hear it for another 15 seconds or so once it's out of sight, and you could hear it when it went back past near you on the other side of the track. Today, I sat at Club corner and you couldn't hear them once they had just gone through T1, and you didn't hear them again until they were approaching Vale. I just felt totally underwhelmed. I appreciate the amazing technology in these engines and they are without a doubt the future of motorsport, but they need to be 5x louder.

It was also disappointing to see so few cars running this afternoon. Alonso did the most laps by far, then probably Gasly and Ocon in the Red Bull and Merc, with Manor, Toro Rosso and Williams doing a bit too. Ferrari though, they did about 2 laps, Haas about 4, Renault maybe 15 and Force India none at all!

I also saw pictures from the pit walkabout (didn't manage to get tickets), and it seemed there were hardly any cars on display (when I went in 2013, every single team had a show car out, and some were doing pit stop practice. That seemingly didn't happen today, so that's a real shame. Perhaps I didn't miss out on too much.

What I will say though, the cars look amazing, certainly much better than I remember them being in 2013 when I last went. The colours on them are outstanding. The McLaren looked epic in the wet, and the red and black livery looks so much better in person. In fact, all of the liveries do. The Mercedes looks superb with the black and turquoise highlights. The matte Red Bull, again, superb, as is the Toro Rosso.

Anyway, I can't get away from F1, so I'm going with another mate tomorrow morning! The forecast for then is dry (fingers crossed), so hopefully we'll see some more cars out on track. For £10 it's still definitely worth going to watch it, it is F1 after all!
Went again this morning, this time much better weather as promised so we saw a lot of running, especially from Ocon and Vandoorne.

I took a mate with me and it was his first time seeing Formula 1 cars ever, and he had a great time. He was so impressed at the cornering speeds through T1 and T2 and the huge acceleration out of Club corner, but again, he said he was surprised at the noise levels of the cars. He brought ear plugs with him but in the end he never needed them!

The McLaren Honda sounds gorgeous. It has a real raspy sound on the downshifts and just looks awesome, so it's such a shame it isn't a bit quicker. The Red Bull and Mercedes you can tell are just visibly quicker. The Red Bull is planted through T1 and T2, it can take so much speed through there! I reckon the Williams is probably the loudest of the cars there, no idea why though!

Again, what a great experience seeing these cars. I really recommend going to see them testing if you can. For £10 it's absolutely worth it, and it's about £40 cheaper than going at a race weekend. Awesome!
  • UP100 pinned this topic