Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

The question for Mclaren is this: Is he better or as good as Alonso or Button? If not, then they should stick with their lineup. If he is, put him in the car. It's worse for Wehrlein, he's sitting waiting for a Mercedes seat that might not be available until 2019 or 2020.
Based on the rule changes I think it would do Vandoorne better to drive for another team like Renault or Sauber for a season to gain the experience first. Rule changes need experienced drivers and with Mclaren's current situation, they'd be worse off for not having both Alonso and Button for 2017. But, obviously they will know better than I.

It sucks for the young drivers really as they don't have a lot of oppurtunity to show what they can do in an F1 car. Perhaps instead of the testing they should have a "friendly" race weekend at the end of the season where all the teams field their young drivers and hopefuls and assess them and compare them to their current lineup. All very well testing but it's not the same as a race weekend.

Hughesy said:
I miss the old track so much :( 

https://twitter.com/PHortonF1/status/758400339762618369?s=09

No wonder no German fans bother going anymore. 

https://twitter.com/PFF1/status/758318286148960257?s=09
Me too I miss the old track as well bombing down those forested straights at 200mph was so cool. It's one of the main reasons why I'm glad they resurrected it on the Project Cars game the new Hockenheim isn't bad but it's got nothing on the character that the monster of it's predecessor had.

So sad to see those grandstands covered up. It's so odd isn't it, when you look at the HUGE crowds at Silverstone, where all the grandstands are packed, and then you come here and it's half empty. Even worse when you remember one of their drivers is challenging for the title, and the recent successes of Vettel. So odd.

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/758701987269578752

1 - Good, need a better protective system if they're going to try for it.
2 - Good I guess, as long as there's not driver coaching again and it's just technical stuff.
3 - WHAT THE... WHY?! What's the point of track limits then?

No halo is fantastic news, but there's two things I find massively retarded here.

Radio ban lifted during races - Really? You're going to lift the ban from the races yet not qualifying or practice, therefore removing the entire point of the ban in the first place. Wonderful bit of thinking there, guys.

Track limits will not be penalized anymore - May I ask why? No, honestly, what is the reason for removing penalties for what is, in my opinion, a serious problem for F1? Because it sure as hell wasn't for fan or driver outrage, not a single person (and I mean literally no one) complained about the system in place at Hungary. Seriously, who's responsible for this and why are they allowed access to oxygen?

What a bunch of stupid bastards.

MBKF1 said:
So sad to see those grandstands covered up. It's so odd isn't it, when you look at the HUGE crowds at Silverstone, where all the grandstands are packed, and then you come here and it's half empty. Even worse when you remember one of their drivers is challenging for the title, and the recent successes of Vettel. So odd.

Not just that, The tickets are a lot cheaper than those at Silverstone. A lot of German fans are boycotting it hence the covered stands.

Very pleased the halo won't be introduced next year. I've said it before, but I honestly think that if F1 is going for cockpit protection then they should do it properly and go for a full canopy. It will require a massive design overhaul of the cars, but it's better than some lame thing that's not gonna do a properly good job.

And track limits, I was away last week so missed the Grand Prix, so in a nutshell, can anyone explain what the system they used was?

MBKF1 said:
Very pleased the halo won't be introduced next year. I've said it before, but I honestly think that if F1 is going for cockpit protection then they should do it properly and go for a full canopy. It will require a massive design overhaul of the cars, but it's better than some lame thing that's not gonna do a properly good job.

And track limits, I was away last week so missed the Grand Prix, so in a nutshell, can anyone explain what the system they used was?
Think the rule was that your entire car couldn't be more than 20 centimeters over the line at certain corner.

Anyone read this yet? http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/8/f1-williams-button-2017.html

It's pretty clear to me that Felipe Massa won't be driving for Williams next year, especially after these comments. They say the team 'needs someone like Button', and to be honest I'm starting to see this happening more and more. I think Vandoorne has done enough to convince McLaren that he is the one they should pick, and for Williams, why not have Button. The sponsors love him (apparently), he's still got what it takes (look at Austria and Hockenheim in particular, two great performances), and he could be a good pairing with Bottas, the young charger.

To be honest, I think a better option for Williams would be someone like Sergio Perez, but why would Perez move from Force India? Force India seem to have just about jumped ahead of Williams now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Force India finish ahead in the constructors at the end of the season, so why would Perez move?

MBKF1 said:
Anyone read this yet? http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/8/f1-williams-button-2017.html

It's pretty clear to me that Felipe Massa won't be driving for Williams next year, especially after these comments. They say the team 'needs someone like Button', and to be honest I'm starting to see this happening more and more. I think Vandoorne has done enough to convince McLaren that he is the one they should pick, and for Williams, why not have Button. The sponsors love him (apparently), he's still got what it takes (look at Austria and Hockenheim in particular, two great performances), and he could be a good pairing with Bottas, the young charger.

To be honest, I think a better option for Williams would be someone like Sergio Perez, but why would Perez move from Force India? Force India seem to have just about jumped ahead of Williams now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Force India finish ahead in the constructors at the end of the season, so why would Perez move?
yeah I saw something like that earlier as well could be a good final crack of the whip for Button as well before retiring should he decide to make that move

I hope Button moves to Williams, be a fitting end to his career if that's the final team he drives for.

Massa has been well off the pace this year, definitely time for him to move on. Never recovered from that freak accident or the heartbreak of 2008. Poor guy.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125618/rossi-has-f1-and-indycar-options-for-2017?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This is quite interesting. Alex Rossi is in talks with Manor and one other team about a race seat for next season, but was actually offered Haryanto's seat from Germany onwards. He turned it down as his Indycar contract has first priority, but I would love to see him back on the F1 grid next year.

• UP100 pinned this topic