Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

Ocon replaces Haryanto! Manor are slowly becoming to Mercedes what Toro Rosso is to Red Bull, now full of their young drivers!

I think it's a good choice and Ocon deserves a shot at Formula 1 more than Rio did. To be fair though to Rio, he did a lot better than I expected against Wehrlein. Will be interesting to see if Ocon can come into the team and challenge Wehrlein right away.

If Vandoorne and Gasly get onto the grid next year then Formula 1 is going to have a massively strong grid of drivers, especially as Palmer is expected to be dropped by Renault too. I'd say you'd just be left with Nasr and Ericsson as the two who are yet to properly prove themselves. Everyone else is top class.

MBKF1 said:
Ocon replaces Haryanto! Manor are slowly becoming to Mercedes what Toro Rosso is to Red Bull, now full of their young drivers!

I think it's a good choice and Ocon deserves a shot at Formula 1 more than Rio did. To be fair though to Rio, he did a lot better than I expected against Wehrlein. Will be interesting to see if Ocon can come into the team and challenge Wehrlein right away.

If Vandoorne and Gasly get onto the grid next year then Formula 1 is going to have a massively strong grid of drivers, especially as Palmer is expected to be dropped by Renault too. I'd say you'd just be left with Nasr and Ericsson as the two who are yet to properly prove themselves. Everyone else is top class.
Nasr has really disappointed me. I was looking forward to him coming into F1 as he impressed me in GP2 but Ericsson has done so much better than him! He might be good with a better car but so far he has been pretty poor.

fIsince08 said:
Nasr has really disappointed me. I was looking forward to him coming into F1 as he impressed me in GP2 but Ericsson has done so much better than him! He might be good with a better car but so far he has been pretty poor.
Really? I thought Nasr was wiping the floor with Ericsson. He's put on a few good performances at least. As average as Nasr is, he's nowhere near the mediocrity that is Marcus Ericsson.

• 3 weeks later...
During the red flag period at Spa, Ben Edwards mentioned that Charlie Whiting wants to introduce a rule that the cars go back into parc ferme under red flag conditions - even for tyres. What's people's thoughts on this, because I've wanted this since 2011.

I'm a half and half on this one, not changing tyres under red flag is good, I'm absolutely cool with that, good decision. But I do think that car damage should be allowed to be fixed, sending a driver back out on track from a red flag with a broken wing doesn't seem a great idea to me!
Have to be able to do both though, can't be one or the other because it doesn't make sense to be able to repair damage on the car yet leave severely worn tyres on a car. If it was up to me and a car requires service under red flags, they must restart at the back of the field.

Mexicola said:
I'm a half and half on this one, not changing tyres under red flag is good, I'm absolutely cool with that, good decision. But I do think that car damage should be allowed to be fixed, sending a driver back out on track from a red flag with a broken wing doesn't seem a great idea to me!
Have to be able to do both though, can't be one or the other because it doesn't make sense to be able to repair damage on the car yet leave severely worn tyres on a car. If it was up to me and a car requires service under red flags, they must restart at the back of the field.
Back of the field sounds fair to me. They'd end up there anyway if they had to pit as soon as the safety car came in, but at least that way it'd keep that driver with the pack rather than leave them way behind with no chance of catching.

Mexicola said:
Back of the field sounds fair to me. They'd end up there anyway if they had to pit as soon as the safety car came in, but at least that way it'd keep that driver with the pack rather than leave them way behind with no chance of catching.
Great idea... They should really consult this forum on new rule changes.

But equally, if the race wasn't stopped and your car was damaged you'd retire anyway...

fIsince08 said:
But equally, if the race wasn't stopped and your car was damaged you'd retire anyway...
Well, I suppose it really depends on the damage, I was thinking more along the lines of wing damage. If a car had the kind of damage that'd have them retire I'd kinda expect them to have probably been involved in whatever brought out the red. But if they weren't and developed a technical or mechanical problem that'd put them out, then yea, I don't think that kind of thing should be allowed to be fixed under red.

So we could just say bodywork damage is allowed to be fixed, but anything internal is a no, and include suspension in that too.

fIsince08 said:
Well, I suppose it really depends on the damage, I was thinking more along the lines of wing damage. If a car had the kind of damage that'd have them retire I'd kinda expect them to have probably been involved in whatever brought out the red. But if they weren't and developed a technical or mechanical problem that'd put them out, then yea, I don't think that kind of thing should be allowed to be fixed under red.

So we could just say bodywork damage is allowed to be fixed, but anything internal is a no, and include suspension in that too.
That'd work. Cars go into parc ferme, restart from the back if you change anything (including wings and tyres) and if multiple drivers change things they are ordered in their respective pre-red flag positions.

Obviously changes to wet tyres (or the other way around) would be allowed.

Couple of bits of news. Perez is probably racing at Renault next season alongside K Mag, Monza will sign a three year contract extension within days and the first draft of the 2017 calendar has been leaked.

• Australia, Albert Park, 26th March
  • China, Shanghai, 2nd April
  • Bahrain, Sakhir, 16th April
  • Russia, Sochi, 30th April
  • Spain, Barcelona, 14th May
  • Monaco, Monte Carlo, 28th May
  • Canada, Montreal, 11th June
  • Europe, Baku, 18th June
  • Austria, Spielberg, 2nd July
  • Great Britain, Silverstone, 9th July
  • Hungary, Budapest, 23rd July
  • Germany, Hockenheim, 30th July
  • Belgium, Spa, 27th August
  • Italy, Monza, 3rd September
  • Singapore, Marina Bay, 17th September
  • Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 1st October
  • Japan, Suzuka, 8th October
  • USA, Texas, 22nd October
  • Mexico, Mexico City, 29th October
  • Brazil, Sao Paolo, 12th November
  • Abu Dhabi, Yas Marina, 26th November

fIsince08 said:
Couple of bits of news. Perez is probably racing at Renault next season alongside K Mag, Monza will sign a three year contract extension within days and the first draft of the 2017 calendar has been leaked.

• Australia, Albert Park, 26th March
  • China, Shanghai, 2nd April
  • Bahrain, Sakhir, 16th April
  • Russia, Sochi, 30th April
  • Spain, Barcelona, 14th May
  • Monaco, Monte Carlo, 28th May
  • Canada, Montreal, 11th June
  • Europe, Baku, 18th June
  • Austria, Spielberg, 2nd July
  • Great Britain, Silverstone, 9th July
  • Hungary, Budapest, 23rd July
  • Germany, Hockenheim, 30th July
  • Belgium, Spa, 27th August
  • Italy, Monza, 3rd September
  • Singapore, Marina Bay, 17th September
  • Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 1st October
  • Japan, Suzuka, 8th October
  • USA, Texas, 22nd October
  • Mexico, Mexico City, 29th October
  • Brazil, Sao Paolo, 12th November
  • Abu Dhabi, Yas Marina, 26th November

Looks exactly like this years calendar

https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/status/772083517857665024?s=09

Although this doesn't seem to be what McLaren are saying. 

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/772083305873281024?s=09

Now confirmed, Button staying but not driving next year. If the car is really good on 2018 then it Sucks he wasn't given a chance considering all the work he put it. 

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/772084397491232768?s=09

Well, that's Button out of F1 for good then. There's no way he's gonna be back in the car for 2018, his age and the fact that he won't have raced for a year will put him out of the picture if a younger driver with a good record becomes available.

Sad to see him go like this, I really wish he'd signed for a different team instead.

• UP100 pinned this topic