Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

Depends on what Alonso does. If the car's crap he'll leave and Mclaren have cunningly guaranteed a top driver ready to return. Or if Alonso utterly destroys Vandoorne then they could always bring him back since he's proven he's just as good as him.

But then, Jenson's been saying for a while he's happy with how things are going so maybe he's looking at the long term as well for a possible future in managing a team or having a similar role to Lauda just with the added bonus of the possibility of still driving if the oppurtunity arises. There'd have been no point him going to Williams since they appear to be going downhill whereas Mclaren are going up so he'd probably have been driving a lesser car next year anyway if he went there.

Gutted he won't be racing though. Not sure who to support now :D I suppose that means I'll be playing as Jenson in the career mode in F1 2017 now as well :D

Alonso contract ends in 2017, you can guarantee he won't stay unless he has a championship car (which I doubt)  thus Button would race in 2018. I think it Sucks he won't get to race the new car. Everyone said Alonso would wipe the floor with Button but that hasn't happened. They said the same when Hamilton was his team mate, but JB more than matched him. 

What if Button decides not to? Hakkinen took a sabbatical at the end of 2001 with the idea of returning for 2003, 9 months later announced his retirement from F1, and he was only 33.

I really don't expect to see Button back in 2018, no matter what they're saying now. And that sucks ass. Taking a year out right when all of the regulations are changing doesn't seem to be good timing to me either, it'd be like learning everything again when most of the drivers on the grid had a years headstart.

Hughesy said:
There's no way McLaren are going to be fighting for the championship. Alonso contract ends in a year, Buttons in 2 years, so I'd say it's more than likely. 
Within two years McLaren could well be in with a shot. Look at how they've done this year compared to last and remember that there is open power unit development from 2017 onwards.

Firstly, I think this was completely the right decision for McLaren. They couldn't afford to lose Vandoorne, and I genuinely think he will do a better job than Button could next year. At the same time, I am obviously sad to see Button go, and I'm with Prawn on this, there's no way Button will be back racing in 2018.

Puts a lot of pressure on Vandoorne though. Mclaren know that Button matches Alonso so if Vandoorne gets slaughtered by Alonso then...
I'm sure he can keep Fernando honest but that's a mighty task that he's got to contend with now. He's basically got to show them he's as good as Lewis was when he made his debut.

He's basically got to show them he's as good as Lewis was when he made his debut.
Which is a task that nearly ruined both Perez' and Magnussen's careers. I believe McLaren should stop thinking in Lewis Hamilton-terms as soon as they give a new driver a chance. Lewis is a talent you get every 20 years or so, just because someone isn't beating a certain Alonso straight away doesn't mean he's rubbish. Some drivers need time to show their full potential (Ricciardo wasn't impressive against Vergne for example).

He's basically got to show them he's as good as Lewis was when he made his debut.
Which is a task that nearly ruined both Perez' and Magnussen's careers. I believe McLaren should stop thinking in Lewis Hamilton-terms as soon as they give a new driver a chance. Lewis is a talent you get every 20 years or so, just because someone isn't beating a certain Alonso straight away doesn't mean he's rubbish. Some drivers need time to show their full potential (Ricciardo wasn't impressive against Vergne for example).

yeah true some people do need time as we learnt later when he was teamed up with Vettel  and we know that Vettel's no slouch given he's got 4 WC's to his name. So Ricciardo has proven he can do it he just needs a car with a better engine to make the next step up I think. Unfortunately right now that's unlikely to happen but given time it might. Also to be fair McLaren had a car capable of winning races and championships back then so they needed drivers that could do likewise. Right now they don't so it's more about building for the future so that they can hopefully get back into that position. I think McLaren realise this that's why they got this new guy Jost Capito or whatever his name is in to help. They know they're not in a position to win right now but they're determined to get back there I don't think there's any doubt about that. Here's hoping they find the answers they seek McLaren look out of place near the back end of the field.

I agree Golden. But with Mclaren being a top team (debateble since 2013 but I'd still class them as such) they expect results straight away and it's why it's a massive risk being a rookie in such a team. I imagine Ferrari would be the same but they play it a bit smarter and only sign proven drivers that have been performing since they joined. I don't agree that Mclaren should dump their drivers like they did with Perez and Magnussen but that's the risk. If it works it works brilliantly like with Lewis, if it doesn't... then a young drivers career is on the line. Cruel, but the risk a young driver takes in signing for such a team.
I'm optimistic as he has shown massive potential and I'm more than certain he'll keep pace with Fernando, but at the same time I'm concerned as he was considerably slower than Jenson in Bahrain in terms of race pace. I hope he proves to be as good as they say, would hate for another potential future star to be knocked back down.
As for the Ricciardo point, I attest that to being that Vergne is a wasted talent. I'm still shocked to this day that it wasn't him taking Seb's seat last year. Him and Ricciardo would have been brilliant.

I'm excited about 2017. Feels like we're going back in time rather than forwards in regards to the styling of the cars, but they're gonna look great and with the current engines they are more than likely going to be the fastest F1 cars ever built. Let's just hope they're able to overtake.

I'm optimistic as he has shown massive potential and I'm more than certain he'll keep pace with Fernando, but at the same time I'm concerned as he was considerably slower than Jenson in Bahrain in terms of race pace. I hope he proves to be as good as they say, would hate for another potential future star to be knocked back down.

The more important point imo is that his qualifying pace is there, because for the most part that is the thing that is more reliant on raw ability, and you're either good at it or you aren't. Race pace is something you can learn from and get better with from experience, especially in this era of F1 which is so reliant on the management of tyres and fuel. 

fIsince08 said:
I wonder if we see more of this next season?
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xs8ygh_jenson-button-commentary-box-itvf1-2005_sport

Wouldn't mind if we did he did a pretty decent job at commentating that day if I recall. I could see him maybe doing it for the British GP and maybe 1 or 2 of the other European ones. Not sure about the flyaways though.

• UP100 pinned this topic