Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

Platy said:
Jenson, Webber and DC on C4 to rule them all.
This would be a sensational line up. Plus Ben Edwards, Lee McKensie and Karun and you have a superb team, and Steve Jones will only get better the more races he does. Channel 4 are really impressing me so far, and if they get JB on board then they've completed the set.

• 2 weeks later...
No idea if this'll embed or not, but it's seriously worth a watch. It's mind-blowing how much he's multitasking while doing crazy speeds and managing to race within inches of the other cars. There's at least 2 points in this video where I'd absolutely have crashed trying to do the same in the F1 games lol.

https://vimeo.com/184024132

fIsince08 said:
Next years calendar is the same as this but Canada, Germany and Brazil are provisional. Some new rules too, there will be a standing start after a safety car start and you can't stockpile PU parts anymore.
Everyone moaned when they carried over penalties between qualifying and races, and now the current system has made a mockery of the rules so it's getting changed back again. What's the odds that this time next year we'll have another new ruling for engine usage when everyone moans about the excessive penalties once again?

A simpler way imo would be to keep the current system but just say you can only use the most recent engine in your car during the rest of the season. So for example, if you decide to put 3 new engines during the a weekend, the first two new ones you put in can't be used again. No excessive penalties, and no stockpiling of engines. Straightforward enough. 

Well this is big, Motorspor.com have basically bought every competitor out...
http://www.motorsport.com/general/news/motorsport-network-acquires-autosport-the-haymarket-media-groups-motor-racing-portfolio-835263/

That will destroy opinion...

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/f1-s-future-needs-be-loud-and-lairy

Strongly urge all of you to read this fantastic article about whether F1 is wasting it's time being a hybrid formula.

Unfortunatly the only problem with all of this is you need someone to supply the engines and none of the current manufacturers, maybe other than Ferrari, would stick around if the power units returned to being naturally aspirated. 

Great article and I totally agree. Why should F1 be green and follow the car industry ? Sure F1 tech has ended up in cars, but that was never the intention, the tech was made in pursuit of building the best car.  As I've said many times noise is a massive part of F1 for me. I never used to fall asleep during races like Japan because the noise kept me awake, these days I've fallen asleep many times. I just don't feel the excitement anymore, everytime I see an older race I get a tingle down my spine because of the sound of the engines.

Hughesy said:
Great article and I totally agree. Why should F1 be green and follow the car industry ? Sure F1 tech has ended up in cars, but that was never the intention, the tech was made in pursuit of building the best car.  As I've said many times noise is a massive part of F1 for me. I never used to fall asleep during races like Japan because the noise kept me awake, these days I've fallen asleep many times. I just don't feel the excitement anymore, everytime I see an older race I get a tingle down my spine because of the sound of the engines.
It'd be interesting to hear how the cars sound without an engine though.

Hughesy said:
I understand what you're saying about the noise, but that's not what made F1, at least not to me. Don't get me wrong the current noise sucks, but the power units are incredible. I really can't say that it isn't an effort to build the best car as you say. These power units do that, we're seeing records from the V10 era fall. I think the current era is held back by tires and stupid limitations on how engines are developed and utilized. 

I think the biggest issue was calling it "green". That's never what it really was. Hybrids are extremely advanced technology, they also tend to be "greener". If you look at the tech for it's advancements and not so much the environmental aspects then you'd have to admit that these are incredible cars still. 

Boring races and stupid regulations are another story, which I maintain is unrelated to the power units. 

Hughesy said:
I understand what you're saying about the noise, but that's not what made F1, at least not to me. Don't get me wrong the current noise sucks, but the power units are incredible. I really can't say that it isn't an effort to build the best car as you say. These power units do that, we're seeing records from the V10 era fall. I think the current era is held back by tires and stupid limitations on how engines are developed and utilized. 

I think the biggest issue was calling it "green". That's never what it really was. Hybrids are extremely advanced technology, they also tend to be "greener". If you look at the tech for it's advancements and not so much the environmental aspects then you'd have to admit that these are incredible cars still. 

Boring races and stupid regulations are another story, which I maintain is unrelated to the power units. 
The power units are great pieces of kit and incredibly powerful. But the point that article was making is that hybrid power is very much a transitional technology, before we move on to electric/hydrogen/potatoes. So once hybrid power becomes a thing of the past and electric power starts taking over, does that mean F1 will go electric to "stay with the times"?

It's a difficult topic to get right because every party from fans to drivers to manufacturers want different things from F1. But no matter what, it can't get completley swept up in the real world and forget what it is. 

VetteIfan said:
Hughesy said:

The power units are great pieces of kit and incredibly powerful. But the point that article was making is that hybrid power is very much a transitional technology, before we move on to electric/hydrogen/potatoes. So once hybrid power becomes a thing of the past and electric power starts taking over, does that mean F1 will go electric to "stay with the times"?

It's a difficult topic to get right because every party from fans to drivers to manufacturers want different things from F1. But no matter what, it can't get completley swept up in the real world and forget what it is. 
I agree it's tricky. But electric cars for F1 is very far away, just look at Formula e. These power units are beyond what any hybrid on the public roads even are. So in that respect I think we can trust that in F1 went fully electric or something else it would unrecognizable to what we traditionally think of. Look what's happened in WEC. 

F1 will have to change with the times, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. If F1 can match lap times or beat them in an electric car or whatever else, then they should switch. I believe F1 will find a revolutionary way of bringing that tech to the sport. 

What i will always be against is driverless. I can't accept the pinnacle of racing will exclusively be driverless. Sure driverless might be fun in other series, not F1. 

• UP100 pinned this topic