Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Alonso to Merc and Button back at Mclaren so soon?

Nah... but one can dream.

Probably going to be Wehrlein but I personally think it's way too soon for him but then who else is there? Surprised at how sudden it was but full respect to Nico. He's achieved his dream and going straight for the next one with his family and you have to admire that.
Fair play to Nico. He knows another world title is going to be very difficult while he's Lewis' teammate and accepted as much that the strain of this season was something he didn't want to go through again to get another. So why stick around to claim a few more race wins when you have a title to your name and a family at home? Feel like he has a good perspective on his life in that respect. Whether he's a guy you support, a guy you respect or a guy you love to hate, he will be missed. 

Unfortunatly in a purely sporting context this is disastrous news. Mercedes' now have the chance to put a #2 driver in there which I'm sure they'll take. I know everyone's getting excited about the prospect of Alonso/Vettel/Ricciardo/Verstappen getting the seat (which would be brilliant) but why would they go after those guys when they can get Wehrlein at a fraction of the price. Not saying Wehrlein isn't a good driver but he's a comfortable option who won't challenge Lewis. 
I've seen quite a few people suggesting Bottas could go there (managed by Wolff, and his empty seat at Williams could be taken by Wehrlein, so Williams could get discounted Mercedes engines for doing that).

I highly doubt that will happen though. Wehrlein seems like an obvious, safe choice for Mercedes.
MBKF1 said:
I've seen quite a few people suggesting Bottas could go there (managed by Wolff, and his empty seat at Williams could be taken by Wehrlein, so Williams could get discounted Mercedes engines for doing that).

I highly doubt that will happen though. Wehrlein seems like an obvious, safe choice for Mercedes.
Bottas would be even worse than Wehrlein tbh. At least Wehrlein is remotely interesting.
1. Other than Mercedes, which teams will win races this year?
Ferrari

2. What will be the best result for Haas?
12th

3. Who will score more points: Max Verstappen or Nico Hulkenberg?
Max Verstappen

4. Which team will score more points: McLaren or Renault?
McLaren

5. Which driver will out-qualify his team mate most frequently?
Sebastian Vettel

6. Will Kimi Raikkonen remain on the grid for 2017?
Nope

7. How many of the 11 teams will score points?

8. Before the season ends, will Monza be confirmed as the host of the 2017 Italian Grand Prix?
Yes

9. Who will win the FIA pole position trophy?
Nico Rosberg

10. Who will be the first driver to be replaced or substituted for a race?
Rio Haryanto

11. And who will take their place?
Alexander Rossi, at least I hope so

12. Which driver will collect the most penalty points for driving infringements?
Esteban Gutiérrez

13. Who will win the Monaco Grand Prix?
Lewis Hamilton

14. Who will crash out of the most races?
Jolyon Palmer

15. Whose engines will Red Bull use in 2017?
Honda

16. At which race will the drivers’ championship be decided?
Brazil

17. What will be the biggest political story of the year?
Rosberg possibly losing his contract at Mercedes

18. What will be the most entertaining race of the year?
Britain

19. Who will win the Constructors Championship?
Mercedes

20. Who will win the Drivers Championship?
Lewis Hamilton
Eh, called it?
Assuming that Wehrlein does get promoted to another team, that would leave 2 seats at Manor and 1 at Sauber. Predictions anyone?!

I'm pretty sure Nasr will stay at Sauber. For Manor, I guess it all depends on who has the cash. I know Haryanto had issues with his money this year but he must surely still be on the cards. But who else brings money, Gutierrez maybe? I have no idea if Manor would be considering Alexander Rossi still either, but he seems pretty content over at IndyCar.

Maybe Antonio Giovinazzi, I think he's sponsored by a couple of Indonesian companies (similar to Haryanto). Who knows.
Juice29 said:
Rosberg signed a new contract this year.
What the hell kind of clause was in it that allowed him to retire?
Legally, you can't stop anyone from retiring.

Nasr has been linked with Manor a lot recently after they lost 10th place and I've seen Haryanto mentioned a lot. Guttierez, unfortunately is still doing the rounds too, but Rossi isn't coming back - he wants to establish himself as an IndyCar driver.
If that's the case, all my respect for Vettel will be lost. Talking about Ferrari being his childhood dream come true, trying to emulate Michael, etc. but as soon as things get rough he leaves them for good. Wouldn't do his legacy any good either, although him and Lewis in the same car would definitely interest me more than Lewis and Bottas or Wehrlein. Or Button for that matter.
If that's the case, all my respect for Vettel will be lost. Talking about Ferrari being his childhood dream come true, trying to emulate Michael, etc. but as soon as things get rough he leaves them for good. Wouldn't do his legacy any good either, although him and Lewis in the same car would definitely interest me more than Lewis and Bottas or Wehrlein. Or Button for that matter.
Don't forget there has been talk about Ferrari deciding not to extend Vettel's contract. I don't know why they wouldn't, but if Vettel feels that's the case he'll want to pull the pin on it before they do. 

I think that's the only reason he'd have for leaving. I feel at this stage in his career he wouldn't really be interested about the possibility of winning multiple world titles at another team - he already has 4 and one final WDC at Ferrari would be the cherry on the cake for his career, and a lot more satisfying. Plus, Hamilton and Vettel would not only be a difficult pairing but a very expensive one. Mercedes have no reason to put them together, as much as it would be great to see. 
  • UP100 pinned this topic