Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Am I the only one who thinks they are terrible? The noses are awful, the shark fins are just as disgusting as they are on the LMP cars and then other than the rear wing and fatter tyres they look the same as they have done for the last 4/5 years. There was far too much talk of drastically different cars before the reveals. Shame as the livery on the Sauber and Renault are quite nice. And how Williams can consistently make such boring looking cars out of Martini sponsorship is beyond me.
And it's part of the reason I hated that generation of cars, it's horrid. It's like the designers got drunk halfway through, so just drew a straight line.... It just looks so out of place compared to the front of the car, obviously you guys prefer modern cars with bits hanging off of them,  rather than clean sleek looking cars. 

My mate thinks it's an unpopular opinion to like them, so obviously it's not widely loved like it seems to be on here. 

https://twitter.com/AlexCoatesy/status/834105243545767937
Hughesy said:
And it's part of the reason I hated that generation of cars, it's horrid. It's like the designers got drunk halfway through, so just drew a straight line.... It just looks so out of place compared to the front of the car, obviously you guys prefer modern cars with bits hanging off of them,  rather than clean sleek looking cars. 
The trouble with clean sleek looking cars is they don't always look fast *swishy fast italics*

That was one of my fav things about the 06-08 cars, they genuinely looked fast even when they were standing still :p And so far both of the 2017 cars we've seen have brought back that feeling again for me.
The shark fins are like the stripes on the F of the F1 logo, they make them look quicker. Personally I think that it's a great, aggressive design trait. I've just done a tech article for Read Motorsport and described them as marmite though :p 
  • UP100 pinned this topic