Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

My summer of being a jammy bastard just keeps on coming. My mate has managed to get himself a couple of free tickets to the Goodwood Revival tomorrow (how he got them, I don't know), and he's invited me along! Classic cars, here we come!
Had a jolly good day out at Goodwood yesterday, apart from the fact that it absolutely pissed it down with rain. But fortunately our tickets came along with grandstand access so we were undercover for a while.

Me and my mate also wandered around the paddock and waiting areas for the cars, illegally it must be said. Thing is, we saw a few people just wandering in and out of these gates (un-manned), and without passes so it seemed, so we thought we'd just risk it and go in. Sure enough, no one stopped us. I just borrowed a spare tie from my mate so we looked the part, and everyone probably thought we were meant to be there!

Didn't manage to meet any big-name drivers unfortunately, but still brilliant to be up close to such iconic cars. Would love to go back next year on a nice sunny day with a pie and a pint!
Hughesy said:
So McLaren have officially split with Honda, going from a Honda to a Renault engine isn't exactly that exciting though. If they stuck with Mercedes then the works team would have had some competition over the last few years.
You mean like the competition Mercedes' had in 2014 when McLaren did have Mercedes' engines? I have my doubts.

The Renault engine is a big upgrade on the Honda. The Renault powered Red Bull was the second best car at Monza, and Ricciardo had no problem slicing through the field. If the McLaren chassis is as good as they say it is, the Renault engine should put them in the mix for podiums, at the least. 
I'm also a Ferrari fan but I hate seeing McLaren do this bad. I'm happy they are scrapping Honda. Their move to Renault should be a good one.

What I want the car ratings to be out of 10 for 2018 looks something like this.

Ferrari's Car 10/10 (Ferrari is the best)

Mercedes Car 9.9/10 (I want an almost equal battle between the top teams ;) )

RedBull's Car 9.8/10 (It would be cool to see more cars in the mix)

McLaren's Car 8/10 (McLaren should have been up there all along)

Renault's Car 8/10 (It would be cool for them to make a return to the battle at the front)
Well, I'm a Ferrari-fan too and I don't like to see McLaren do well.

I really don't care.

Either way, Toro Rosso is taking on Honda-engines in an official statement, McLaren switching to Renault in an official statement and the biggest news might be that Carlos Sainz is joining Renault for 2018, also official.

I'm slowly starting to worry about Toro Rosso, the Honda-deal + the use of paydriver Sean Gelael and now the departure of Carlos Sainz is making me think Red Bull might be a bit more serious than we thought when they threatened to leave F1 or at least sell one team. Leave no doubts about it, Red Bull diminishing their contributions to autosport and F1 would hurt this sport severely.

So Gasly and Kvyat next season then? Would be the worst Toro Rosso-line up since Speed and Liuzzi.
  • 2 weeks later...
He was still veering into the middle a little, it doesn't look as incriminating as the Grosjean footage though. He just doesn't seem to put the steering angle in it, Vettel would have had room if Stroll had put the angle in.

One could argue Vettel should have left more room, but I don't think he expected stroll to be drifting out, unaware of his position. 

Ah whatever, as long as it doesnt t impact the title battle, it is irrelevant.
Still Stroll's fault. He lets his car drift wide to the outside of the corner while not realising Vettel is passing him on the outside, which was already evident from Grosjean's onboard shot. He turns left, but the steering motion wasn't tight enough and he has a slight change in it making his car move to the outside more, which means he was moving away from the apex, while Vettel took a much tighter approach. It can be argued that Vettel took too much risk taking such a tight approach post-race, assuming Stroll won't do something unexpected, but it's still on Stroll to pay attention to his surroundings though.
Jiggy said:
Still Stroll's fault. He lets his car drift wide to the outside of the corner while not realising Vettel is passing him on the outside, which was already evident from Grosjean's onboard shot. He turns left, but the steering motion wasn't tight enough and he has a slight change in it making his car move to the outside more, which means he was moving away from the apex, while Vettel took a much tighter approach. It can be argued that Vettel took too much risk taking such a tight approach post-race, assuming Stroll won't do something unexpected, but it's still on Stroll to pay attention to his surroundings though.
I agree it’s still his fault, but he didn’t actually turn into Vettel like the other video showed. It was just careless and lack of  spatial awareness after a long race.
Brendon Hartley signing for Toro Rosso, 8 years after being dropped from them. That would be one hell of a story.

If it does happen, Hartley's got nothing to lose. He hasn't driven F1 machinery for a long time, so if Kvyat's faster than him, so be it. And if he's faster than Kvyat then he could legit have a crack at a full season next year!

Mad.
  • UP100 pinned this topic