Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

There were talks of bringing it back to the sport. I remember the Formula 1 website saying it could be back in 2017. That obviously didn’t happen. I would love to see refueling back in the sport. The cars could run at maximum the whole race.
Never understood the hype about refuelling.

From 1993 in to 1994 (when refuelling was introduced) overtaking numbers declined sharply.

Then between 1994 and 2009 when refuelling was active, overtaking was at its lowest amount in the past 40 years.

In 2010 (before DRS and Pirelli tyres) overtaking numbers then rose sharply again when it was banned. 

Considering the fact it's also less safe, more expensive and makes qualifying worse, I'm not for bringing it back. 

In my opinion it also actually makes strategy worse too. Back in the early 2000's if you had a few laps more fuel the overcut was almost a forgone conclusion to work every time. Having strategy based around tyres rather than fuel is more interesting, even if Pirelli do a poor job of making the current tyres give some kind of consistency. 
VetteIfan said:
Never understood the hype about refuelling.

From 1993 in to 1994 (when refuelling was introduced) overtaking numbers declined sharply.

Then between 1994 and 2009 when refuelling was active, overtaking was at its lowest amount in the past 40 years.

In 2010 (before DRS and Pirelli tyres) overtaking numbers then rose sharply again when it was banned. 

Considering the fact it's also less safe, more expensive and makes qualifying worse, I'm not for bringing it back. 

In my opinion it also actually makes strategy worse too. Back in the early 2000's if you had a few laps more fuel the overcut was almost a forgone conclusion to work every time. Having strategy based around tyres rather than fuel is more interesting, even if Pirelli do a poor job of making the current tyres give some kind of consistency. 
I can see were you are coming from. I guess instead of making huge changes F1 should focus on small improvements that make the sport better like fine tuning the 2021 rules to make the Engines more simple, durable and cost effective (and louder and faster of course).
So according to Croft Hamilton and Mercedes haven't signed a new contract yet. Hamilton wants to keep a championship winning car as one of his clauses in his contract.
Is this the same contract situation that people were talking about last year with Hamilton taking full part in the negotiations?
Jiggy said:
So according to Croft Hamilton and Mercedes haven't signed a new contract yet. Hamilton wants to keep a championship winning car as one of his clauses in his contract.
Is this the same contract situation that people were talking about last year with Hamilton taking full part in the negotiations?
Not sure, it was mentioned during FP2 where both Hamiltons and Toto's personal lifes are getting in the way of getting the contract signed for 2019. 
He wants a F1 car so he can keep and take home according to Crofty and he thinks thats why the contract hasn't been signed.
Hamilton said in an interview once that he started his career with Mercedes power and he will end his career with Mercedes power. So if he doesn’t wrap it up, looks like he will retire. Plus success can only last a certain period of time so eventually his car won’t be the winning one anymore.
So, I thought it would be cool for all of us to rate the 2018 Grand Prix's each race weekend. 1 being the best you have seen so far and the lowest number being the least. For me it looks like this so far.

1. Bahrain
2. China
3. Azerbaijan
4. Australia
5. Monaco
6. Spain
That layout looks better to be honest. I don't really see what you can do to improve what we have now, perhaps take a different route to extend the run down to the Nouvelle chicane? That would remove Portier by going left somewhere after 7. But then it might require a lot of work to the roads...
I heard about that one a couple of weeks ago, now they're mentioning Lando Norris though, so I guess Hartley's place isn't so secure despite the nearest Red Bull-talent lined up being Daniel Ticktum in Formula 3.
FOM are thinking about major changes to  F1 to suit  casual viewers especially those under 30 and will poll people about their proposed changes.

Some ideas F1 are looking at is:

Removing FP3 on Saturday
Qualifying race that takes place after Qualifying to determine the Grid for Sunday
Shorter races to attract new viewers.

Link

Thoughts?

Edit:

Heres the new standard helmet for F1 next year.

Link
I don’t want a quali race. It would feel more like F2. I like the format how it is. Quali on Saturday is always exciting, I love it. I also like the Grand Prix distance how it is, it lets the strategy play out and the weather change over time. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, and I’m 20.
Football matches are 90 mins. Grand slam tennis matches are normally 90-120 mins at least. NBA games are around 2 hours with timeouts taken in to consideration. And most F1 races are around the 80-100 mins mark. 

I'd like someone from Liberty to explain why the races being too long is apparently an issue, when every other popular sport on earth has roughly the same timeframe. Shorter races won't attract more viewers. 
I would actually stop watching if they screw with the format. I don't mind some changes to practice and I'd survive with qualy format tweaks, but adding other races is the straw that will break the camel's back.
Dear Liberty, even if it's what your wives tell you, length is not the problem. 

Especially when the most popular sports in America are long AF. Football is like a 4 hour game to watch. Baseball can go on forever. 

Even the the most popular Motorsport in America, a NASCAR race is more than 3 hours long. 

Dear Liberty, even if it's what your wives tell you, length is not the problem. 

Especially when the most popular sports in America are long AF. Football is like a 4 hour game to watch. Baseball can go on forever. 

Even the the most popular Motorsport in America, a NASCAR race is more than 3 hours long. 

That is true. American football can drag on forever and everyone watches it. Some watch almost every game over the weekend. So the length of the race is not creating the problem. Instead of getting newbie fans they should focus on keeping the loyal ones that have stuck with the sport through thick and thin.
NASCAR is soooooooooo fucking loooooooooong!

Also, what's the point of a qualifying session if it gets followed up by a qualifying race? What are we qualifying in the first place fo-oh for the qualifying race. Well, that seems redundant.
I'm all for more races, but it looks off when you go on and on about how we must introduce budget caps to save the little teams and then you put an extra goddamn race on them. That's not cost-efficient dude.

Also, shorter races? Eat my shorts. You're underestimating your audience if you think they won't tune in unless there are shorter races. F1-races aren't that long to begin with. I also feel it takes away from the premier stature of this racing class if you make the races shorter. So no.

About the helmet.. Meh. If it works, it works. Like the halo.
  • UP100 pinned this topic