Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I feel like it should be obvious that comment was banter. He even smirked when he said it.
(Granted, outside from Vandoorne, nobody was laughing with him, but still.)

As for the driving style-approach, I get what he's saying, it's that style that has served him very well for most of his career and most of his F1-career too. The problem is that when you drive so much on the limit as Max does, all-or-nothing, you're bound to go over it eventually sometimes and sometimes it's nothing. Except for now it happens every single time that it's nothing. So you can drive around a bit more cautiously, maybe lose speed or aggressiveness in an intended effort to have less contact or you'll take the approach to keep the same style and find a way to utilize it without binning it. 

Preferably the latter. Starting this weekend. Because Marko and Horner have his back for now, but we're already in "okay, that's enough"-territory and if he bins it in Canada again, we'll be in "okay, now we have a fucking problem"-territory.
Jiggy said:
As for the driving style-approach, I get what he's saying, it's that style that has served him very well for most of his career and most of his F1-career too. The problem is that when you drive so much on the limit as Max does, all-or-nothing, you're bound to go over it eventually sometimes and sometimes it's nothing. Except for now it happens every single time that it's nothing. So you can drive around a bit more cautiously, maybe lose speed or aggressiveness in an intended effort to have less contact or you'll take the approach to keep the same style and find a way to utilize it without binning it. 
The problem is this driving style is a big weakness if/when he's ever in a position to challenge for the title. The Red Bull is a good car but not a title winner. There will have to be compromise at some point even if at the moment it's only costing him occasional wins. 

That's been a very notable change in Lewis' driving as his career has gone on. It's ironic because his idol is Senna but he drives more like a peak Prost these days (and that's not detrimentally speaking because that went at least some way towards him winning the title last season). 
I know I'm just another armchair expert, but if I was Chase Carey and had supreme reign over the rules, this is what I'd do.

- Reduce FP1 and FP2 to 1 hour each, and FP3 to 45 minutes.
- Keep Qualifying and the Race exactly as they are, no changes.

But, I'd create something like a BAC Mono Cup, with 26 cars. Just have a 30 minute open qualifying session, and a 30 minute race. Make it mandatory for all the current F1 drivers (and using something neutral like a BAC Mono means no team could stop their drivers from taking part due to biases / alliances, etc), and then also 4 young drivers, and a couple of wildcards, which could be a past driver, or someone else from another racing series. The championship would be a level playing field in equal cars, gives the youngsters to prove themselves too, and the fans would love it because they'd get to see their heroes in pretty much equal machinery.
If I had the ultimate control I'd get F1 off Sky and back on to free TV so you can actually grow the audience. It's not like football where kids learn to like it from playing it, it needs to have a wide reach, and if parents don't have Sky kids won't know it exists.
I have Sky, but when I was a kid my parents didn't have Sky until I was 11, so I would have completely missed it in the 90s and 00s.
Obviously this wouldn't change the races, but with out fans what's the point.
VetteIfan said:
Jiggy said:
The problem is this driving style is a big weakness if/when he's ever in a position to challenge for the title. The Red Bull is a good car but not a title winner. There will have to be compromise at some point even if at the moment it's only costing him occasional wins. 

That's been a very notable change in Lewis' driving as his career has gone on. It's ironic because his idol is Senna but he drives more like a peak Prost these days (and that's not detrimentally speaking because that went at least some way towards him winning the title last season). 
Yup. He should consider changing his first name to Louis given how much he's resembling the frenchman currently.
VetteIfan said:
Jiggy said:

Verstappen's driving style is not consistent enough. He pushed way to hard to much and pushing maximum all the time does not win championships (or most of the time at least). To get to the point of winning a championship or multiple championships you need to be smart and use your brain. Lay low when you need to, protect you points and when you got a win in sight push like hell!
If Red bull does go with Honda next year then Red bull may be a midfield team for a year or two before Honda produces a winning engine. So this year may be the last for a while to see Ricciardo (If he stays) and Verstappen up the front.
VetteIfan said:
Jiggy said:

I agree, I always wondered if a weakness in his style is that it doesn't aid a chase for a WDC. Max' vision on it is clear; he needs to keep his style and drive on the limit, because if he doesn't, he's not fast and in his eyes, there's no point in driving at F1-level if you can't drive on the limit.

Admirable, but to be a bit dramatic, it also leaves you open to become more of a Montoya instead of a Schumacher.
If Red bull does go with Honda next year then Red bull may be a midfield team for a year or two before Honda produces a winning engine. 

If Redbull do decide to go honda I think Redbull will benefit from deal in long term. Honda PU is close to Renault PU performance and Honda has showed alot improvement with the PU other last few years. So Data redbull has on Honda PU must be good for Redbull to conisider making switch. I reckon if Redbull make deal they will still remain 3rd fastest team but gap will increase to front runners unless renault improve alot or mclaren manage fix the issues!

I believe McLaren made right decision at the time to dump honda. results back decision up Just no excepted HAS to buy F1 2017 FERARI. I believe they had good chasis last year but trick suspension ban and late pu switch has comprised the chasis. low speed corners is post to be Major flaw with design which costing them straightline speed because of extra downforce to fix mechanical grip in low speed corners which is producing high drag. i reckon once they find a fix they make jump. 

I'm no aero guru but who else think's Mclarens aero this year looks draggy compared to clean designs of Redbull Mercedes Ferrari. Anyone know why Redbull let peter prodromou go? Maybe he's the issue at McLaren ? 

Adrian Newie is op

f1fan0543 said:
If Red bull does go with Honda next year then Red bull may be a midfield team for a year or two before Honda produces a winning engine. 

If Redbull do decide to go honda I think Redbull will benefit from deal in long term. Honda PU is close to Renault PU performance and Honda has showed alot improvement with the PU other last few years. So Data redbull has on Honda PU must be good for Redbull to conisider making switch. I reckon if Redbull make deal they will still remain 3rd fastest team but gap will increase to front runners unless renault improve alot or mclaren manage fix the issues!

I believe McLaren made right decision at the time to dump honda. results back decision up Just no excepted HAS to buy F1 2017 FERARI. I believe they had good chasis last year but trick suspension ban and late pu switch has comprised the chasis. low speed corners is post to be Major flaw with design which costing them straightline speed because of extra downforce to fix mechanical grip in low speed corners which is producing high drag. i reckon once they find a fix they make jump. 

I'm no aero guru but who else think's Mclarens aero this year looks draggy compared to clean designs of Redbull Mercedes Ferrari. Anyone know why Redbull let peter prodromou go? Maybe he's the issue at McLaren ? 

Adrian Newie is op

If I remember right, Prodromou chose to leave, he wasn't pushed.
Hughesy said:
Not that I know of.

Apparently McLaren are in talks to sign Ricciardo.
Yep and he also said he is in talks with other teams. Danny Ric mentioms Mercedes and Ferrari how Hamilton is likely to renew his contract and will try and keep Bottas as the 2nd driver.
He also said that Vettel is always changing to mind on who he wants in the team and his contract has a stipulation regarding that.

I think if he doesn't move by the end of the year no one will take him after 2019.
Hughesy said:
Guess I'm going to be a Ferrari fan next year as Leclerc is set to move to Ferrari. Red is my favourite colour lol, but back in the day I hated Schumacher and have always been a McLaren fan. Forza Ferrari I guess.
That doesn't make you a Ferrari fan, that just makes you a fan who has mutual interest with Ferrari fans in Ferrari winning because it means Leclerc will be winning. Kinda like me now. 

As a side note on the Mclaren point, pinning loyalty to a team is not something I'd personally ever be interested in as an F1 fan. You'd always have to go through some phase where your team hires an uninspiring driver pairing, or a period of time where the team becomes completely inept like Mclaren now. You also get teams like Mercedes and Red Bull who are clearly not in F1 for the long haul so what's the point in being loyal to them. 

F1 history remembers the great drivers, and it's the personality and ability of those drivers which intrigues us all in the end. 
  • UP100 pinned this topic