Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

VetteIfan said:
Hughesy said:
Guess I'm going to be a Ferrari fan next year as Leclerc is set to move to Ferrari. Red is my favourite colour lol, but back in the day I hated Schumacher and have always been a McLaren fan. Forza Ferrari I guess.
That doesn't make you a Ferrari fan, that just makes you a fan who has mutual interest with Ferrari fans in Ferrari winning because it means Leclerc will be winning. Kinda like me now. 

As a side note on the Mclaren point, pinning loyalty to a team is not something I'd personally ever be interested in as an F1 fan. You'd always have to go through some phase where your team hires an uninspiring driver pairing, or a period of time where the team becomes completely inept like Mclaren now. You also get teams like Mercedes and Red Bull who are clearly not in F1 for the long haul so what's the point in being loyal to them. 

F1 history remembers the great drivers, and it's the personality and ability of those drivers which intrigues us all in the end. 
That's like saying why support a football team if they don't win all the time. 
Jiggy said:
Unless you're a Ferrari-fan. Ferrari is special. Ferrari is life.
Yeah Ferrari are maybe the one exception. The team does take priority over any driver in Italy, which tbf can't be said for the British teams/drivers. 

Hughesy said: 
That's like saying why support a football team if they don't win all the time. 
No it's not. In football you support a club and that takes primary importance because the club's name is the one that goes down in the record books, not that of an individual. Last time I checked football teams don't drop in and out of the sport either. 

You're also typically from the place/area of the football club you support as well so there's a lot deeper connection in general.

But if that's your view you're a pretty lousy fan for supporting Ferrari just because of Leclerc when you've "always been a Mclaren fan" ;)
Zak Brown has done nothing but ruin McLaren when no one thought it could get worse. You can see that in this article even. Boullier leaves so they're gonna simplify the position... across three different people, how is that simplier? 

"It's no ones fault" "systematic failures" two contradicting statements. If it's systematic then maybe Zak should resign too.  
Meh, it happened to Lotus and Tyrrell and Brabham and Ligier. People couldn't believe it at the time either because they've known those teams when they were competitive and winning championships. Back then, those were the teams deemed too big to become backmarkers, but that's what they ended up being.

So with that in mind, when it comes to privateer-teams, it can also happen to the great British teams of our generation in McLaren and Williams. Maybe they won't even be on the grid in 5 years. Unless you're a factory team, it seems like your time in F1 is limited always. And that's even the case for factory teams, but they always are able to come back one day if they'd want it. Like Toyota or BMW. But for the privateers, when they're gone, they're gone forever. Unless the name gets bought by some dodgy Malaysian dude who needs a gimmick and drags it through the mud like Tony Fernandes and Lotus.
I was trying to think last night but I can't remember for the life of me, so maybe one of you lot can help.

Who was it that McLaren signed around 2 years ago, and was literally at the team for about 2 weeks? He was in a pretty top position, but left almost straight away, can't remember who it was.
  • UP100 pinned this topic