Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread


Recommended Posts

Hughesy said:
Well if Renault didn't think Sainz was good enough for them, then I can't see Red Bull thinking he's good enough for them. 
Maybe, but it depends what Red Bull want. A Bottas type driver who can pick up wins when No.1 isn't able? Or a direct threat to Max? 

Renault don't have that luxury, they need two top drivers, and they've got one in Ricciardo. Who can say how good Hulkenberg really is? He has Sainz pretty well covered so far just as Max did in 2015, so next year is a golden opportunity for him. 

If Hulkenberg somehow beats Ricciardo, I wonder where he will stand on the radars of the big 3 teams? 


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
Jiggy said:
Ocon is ****.

Or is Perez ****?

Or is Bottas ****- nah.
I've seen a journalist on twitter (can't remember who, I think it was either Ben Hunt or Mark Hughes) say that Perez is close to the new consortium, so he expects Ocon and Russell to go to Williams.
Link to post
Share on other sites
fIsince08 said:
Jiggy said:
Ocon is ****.

Or is Perez ****?

Or is Bottas ****- nah.
I've seen a journalist on twitter (can't remember who, I think it was either Ben Hunt or Mark Hughes) say that Perez is close to the new consortium, so he expects Ocon and Russell to go to Williams.
Williams? Ew. I can see that work favorably for Ocon only if Williams gives up on being independent and become a full on B-squad for Mercedes. But that's not what Williams is about.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Brawn believes F1 might be full electric cars in a decades time, by that time LMP1 and FE will be lightyears ahead of them in terms of technology.
This might sound unreasonable or uneducated, I guess, but I hate this electric shit man, it ruins everything. If that scenario actually occurs, F1 might just transfer everything about FE and implement it into F1. Tired of Formula E and their pretentious attitude of being the future kingpin of motorsport and their slow cars and how major manufacturers like Audi and Mercedes are leaving historically significant classes like Le Mans-series and the DTM, severely crippling them, just to join this hipster shitshow.

The racing is good though.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Electric being green is bs. The rare metals that the batteries and motors need create a lot more pollution than petrol cars. Then there's the fact that most electricity isn't produced via wind or other non pollutant means. FE are basically like vegans, they think they are better than you and will throw it in your face whenever they get the chance.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Relevancy relevancy relevancy. My least favourite word in motorsport.

For me now if F1 wants to avoid the fate of electric racing, the mindset needs to shift from "How do we make this sport relevant?" to more "How do we attract manufacturers without the incentive of relevancy?".

Idk if it's possible. Glory and advertising potential of winning on the biggest stage in motorsport will always be an incentive but it's not enough on its own. Manufacturers usually think financially, so it needs to be made so they can make a healthy profit from doing it, to overcome any lack of relevancy. Again, idk if that's possible and maybe I'm trying to delude myself but I desperately don't want to see an electric powered Formula 1 grid in my lifetime.
Link to post
Share on other sites
It is indeed,  but as hes leaving, it must be the plan to go to Indy if he wants the triple crown. Maybe not with McLaren, but I hope he's doing the whole season.
Goes to Indy, comes back to McLaren when the new regs come in the hope that they are good enough to win. As McLaren have a good relationship with him, they wouldn't say no.

Now I hope they give Norris a chance, he has more talent than Russell imo, but if that's the case would they want two relative rookies, there's no other big names that McLaren could get.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
It is indeed,  but as hes leaving, it must be the plan to go to Indy if he wants the triple crown. Maybe not with McLaren, but I hope he's doing the whole season.
Goes to Indy, comes back to McLaren when the new regs come in the hope that they are good enough to win. As McLaren have a good relationship with him, they wouldn't say no.

Now I hope they give Norris a chance, he has more talent than Russell imo, but if that's the case would they want two relative rookies, there's no other big names that McLaren could get.
Yeah I just read Alonso's just announced his retirement from F1 at the end of the season hasn't said what he's doing next yet though.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
Electric being green is bs. The rare metals that the batteries and motors need create a lot more pollution than petrol cars. Then there's the fact that most electricity isn't produced via wind or other non pollutant means. FE are basically like vegans, they think they are better than you and will throw it in your face whenever they get the chance.
Is there much evidence to support this claim? I find it difficult to believe.

And I should add, whilst extremist vegans annoy me, they are not the majority. As usual its just the internet fanatics, most real people are not like that. Secondly, it is apparently better for the environment to be vegan. But I enjoy meat and dairy too much to give it up :D . 
Link to post
Share on other sites
A friend of mine is convinced that electric cars aren't the future anyway, but hydrogen-fueled cars are.

Just putting that out there, in case someone here feels inspired to drop some knowledge on that, I have no idea about stuff like that.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
Jiggy said:
A friend of mine is convinced that electric cars aren't the future anyway, but hydrogen-fueled cars are.

Just putting that out there, in case someone here feels inspired to drop some knowledge on that, I have no idea about stuff like that.
I've been of this opinion for years. Essentially, hydrogen atoms are ionised, the electrons are diverted through wires (forming an electric current) and the ions flow through a catalyst where they bond with oxygen to form water.

It'll last longer than a battery as well.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/aug/24/nickel-mining-hidden-environmental-cost-electric-cars-batteries
See whilst the initial extraction may be worse than petrol car pollution/oil extraction, the recyclable properties of Nickel may make it a better option long term. Oil will run out someday, and Nickel/Electricity will not. Even if oil was greener, it's not sustainable and therefore green or not, it will be gone one day. 
And as we know the electrical use is not as polluting as the use of petrol. Over time the overall energy used in production and running of a petrol engine will overtake a battery. 

This quote sticks out to me: “We have to get smarter at recovering and reusing the vast quantities that we have already extracted from the earth, rather than relying on continued pursuit of new reserves of ever poorer quality and at substantial environmental cost.”

So does that mean that most of what we need is already out there just waiting to be recycled? And it does seem that the process could be cleaner according to the article. 

I should add, I'm not some huge fan of electric cars. 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, but in the here and now most of the material doesn't get recycled and we don't have the means to recycle it efficiently. So right here and now they shouldn't be seen as green. I just don't see it right now, that doesn't even factor in the pollution from producing the electricity, as most isn't from eco friendly means. In the UK the grid is already near maximum, how they are going to cope with  charging these things I don't know.

They also aren't practical, as they take so long to charge, and using fast charging technology reduces the batteries life a lot, so that will mean even more metals needed. Anyway this is going way off topic.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • UP100 pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...