Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

I am really saddened to hear that Formula 1 and motorsport cartoonist Jim Bamber has died.

Most of you have probably never heard of him, but he used to do a cartoon each week in Autosport magazine which I absolutely loved. When I was 7 or 8 I used to copy them each week and at the time I had no idea what the cartoons meant with various rude words at times, so looking back it's pretty funny :p 

I wrote to him back in 2005 when I was eight years old, and my mum ordered one of his books for me. I sent him some of my copies of his cartoons and he sent me a signed copy of his book (along with two other signed copies later on too). He also sent me some black and white copies of cartoons for me to colour in myself, and I was so pleased when he drew a cartoon just for me, of me in a BAR overtaking Schumacher in the Ferrari!

I have a few of his pit crew figurines such as the 2005 Williams, Ferrari and Renault, and the 2007 McLaren, and he also sent me a limited edition pewter model of one of his cartoon model cars, as well as a plain pit crew figurine for me to paint myself. What an absolute legend.

If you haven't seen his cartoons then take a look as they're so good. RIP Jim Bamber. 

R.I.P I loved his cartoons too. They looked brilliant and they really made me laugh. It doesn't come as much of a surprise though as I heard a few months back that he wasn't well. Awesome story though Matt. 

PS. Surprised Autosport don't have an article up on his passing away. 

R.I.P I loved his cartoons too. They looked brilliant and they really made me laugh. It doesn't come as much of a surprise though as I heard a few months back that he wasn't well. Awesome story though Matt. 

PS. Surprised Autosport don't have an article up on his passing away. 
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114582

• UP100 pinned this topic