Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

mike96 said:
He died in January or February.
Alonso when he drove the Ferrari in pre-season testing. 
???
The topic was about Alonso and sportscars, TJ's doppelganger said that (about John Button and caught out by the page number not being very obvious) and all the pre-season stuff is around January/February, so I figured Alonso died when he first found out the F14T wouldn't be a championship winning car.

That help Mike? :p

Formula 1 is my favourite form of motorsport and I'm sure it always will be, and I'll still be watching regardless of whatever happens in its future.

But I just do not understand the new rule makers. I believe that just over a week ago there was some meeting held which discussed how to get the fans more involved and how they should make rules which the fans will like.

Why then do they make a rule which does the exact opposite? This time last year, even this time 2 months ago, no one was complaining about the safety car restarts saying we should change it. Like the double points of this year, it is the solution to a problem that didn't ever exist! 

They are probably doing all this to attract new fans as the TV viewing figures have dramatically decreased in the last year, so it looks cool, but what about the millions and millions of current fans, the true fans, the racers, who have been watching for years, the ones who just want something normal? 

First of all, having a standing start will just increase the likelihood of another crash which will bring out another safety car. The safety car is called that for a reason. It's for safety purposes. It slows the cars down. That doesn't mean you need a full restart. Imagine if this rule had been applied at the 2007 Canadian GP. There would have been the real start and then another four standing restarts, which is just stupid. 

Then there's the problem of overheating cars. If the safety car comes out in the last 20% of the race, then the cars will be all hot and things will be wearing out, so there's a big chance people will have problems on the grid (stalling, meaning another formation lap) and also more likely to cause a collision at T1 or T2.

I think that the safety car restart procedure should have some change though, just not a complete standing restart. A safety car restart always makes me think 'ooh, something is gonna change, it's gonna be exciting again', but it never really is to be honest. They file out of the final corner in single file and no one ever makes any overtakes into turn one or two. They have attempts, but nothing really happens.

So therefore, I think rolling starts would be the best solution. As I said in a previous thread, the cars get into two by two formation (apart from perhaps Monaco) when the message comes up saying 'Safety Car in this lap'. They go through the final corner at low speed and onto the straight, and when the start lights turn green, they go for it and they start again. 

Doing this would mean the cars don't stop so they don't overheat. Also the cars are more spread out than a standing start, and therefore it's less likely for another crash to occur. This seems so flippin obvious to me. I wish I could write to the FIA or strategy group telling them to get their act together.

Then there's the new parc fermé rules which means that they are in parc fermé from the end of FP3? Or is it the start of FP3? Anyway, what is the point in FP3 any more? The teams use it to fine tune their setups for the race and qualifying, but now, why would they bother running? They will have to do all the work on Friday and they'd probably rather save parts than run for an hour, especially with four power units next year (another stupid rule).

@PeteTheDuck

I can understand the 4 power units thing, it's part of the cost cutting scheme and to be fair we all love unreliability ;)

I agree with everything you said bar that, but more needs to be done. I've said for a long time F1 should be fan controlled, I don't know how to organise it but I'm sure it could be done.

The safety car is already unfair on the leader - whether you like the driver or they have built up their lead. Having a standing restart just means that more accidents are going to occur. Now whilst I'm not the longest serving F1 fan by any means, I've never heard anyone complain about the safety car restarts (bar the unfairness). This makes it even worse. Double points - sure we all love a last race title decider, but the rareness of them makes them all the more exciting - having them as a common occurrence will probably have some of the novelty wear off a bit - perhaps the same could be said about the start of the race and safety car restart. Only time will tell.

All these gimmicks are spoiling the sport - I've said before the skid blocks are pointless - it doesn't suit modern F1 and just looks like the cars are broken. The FIA introduced the new engines for efficiency, having the cars scrape along the ground increases friction and reduces efficiency. DRS I can cope with as the FIA are now starting to master the zones. Wasn't something similar tried by Lotus in the 80s anyway?

I mentioned at the top of my post about cost cutting, but there is so much more that needs to be done. The top teams need to lose some of their power, but be stopped from withdrawing from the sport because of it. What will happen soon? A ten car race between Merc, RB, Ferrari, STR and McLaren? Costs have been spiralling out of control for years and due to the greedy runners of the sport, the smaller teams are going to be sucked out of the sport. We all love having large grids (I was disappointed when HRT folded) and we should be encouraging new teams to join, not doing as much as possible to bankrupt them.

As for Bernie, he is well passed his sell by date. I accept that he has done a lot of good for the sport, but his time has passed now. He's destroying the F1 calendar classics like Imola and Magny Cours for the middle east/asia Tilkedromes such as Korea, China and Singapore. The great European circuits like Spa, Silverstone and Monza struggle to get new deals (similar to Canada) as Bernie is so greedy, yet the tracks we all hate have no issues due to being in oil rich countries.

Anyway, rant over.

Actually, not quite over. I forgot about FOMs greediness too. They are too concerned about getting cash that they forget about the fans. We don't want F1 to be on pay TV, nor do we want to be forced to pay for access to the basics such as live timing screens. FOM should be earning money by allowing us fans to buy classic race weekends - although there are a lot about on the web they are either in pieces or missing some of the sessions. They could make a fortune with season packages etc (I wouldn't even mind if these were pay per view.)

Then there's the new parc fermé rules which means that they are in parc fermé from the end of FP3? Or is it the start of FP3? Anyway, what is the point in FP3 any more? The teams use it to fine tune their setups for the race and qualifying, but now, why would they bother running? They will have to do all the work on Friday and they'd probably rather save parts than run for an hour, especially with four power units next year (another stupid rule).
Its the start of FP3 instead the start of the qualifying. And then you´re right. It´s unnecessary to drive in FP3. Because then you´ve got unnecessary fuel consumption.

fIsince08 said:
@PeteTheDuck

I can understand the 4 power units thing, it's part of the cost cutting scheme and to be fair we all love unreliability ;)

I can´t understand this. Because some drivers already had changed the MGU-K for example for 5 times. And we aren´t at the end of the season.
fIsince08 said:
@PeteTheDuck

I've said for a long time F1 should be fan controlled, I don't know how to organise it but I'm sure it could be done.

Yes, it´s right that some new rules are very silly. But the F1 can´t be fan controlled because then we´ve got probably a V12 engine and more expenditure.

KuB said:

fIsince08 said:
@PeteTheDuck

I can´t understand this. Because some drivers already had changed the MGU-K for example for 5 times. 
fIsince08 said:
@PeteTheDuck

I've said for a long time F1 should be fan controlled, I don't know how to organise it but I'm sure it could be done.

Yes, it´s right that some new rules are very silly. But the F1 can´t be fan controlled because then we´ve got probably a V12 engine and more expenditure.
Part 1) Reliability will get better as we go on - just look at the V8s for example.
Part 2) I should've added that I meant in conjunction with the teams.

KuB said:

Its the start of FP3 instead the start of the qualifying. And then you´re right. It´s unnecessary to drive in FP3. Because then you´ve got unnecessary fuel consumption.

fIsince08 said:
@PeteTheDuck

I can´t understand this. Because some drivers already had changed the MGU-K for example for 5 times. And we aren´t at the end of the season.
fIsince08 said:
@PeteTheDuck

How about someone puts forward a new rule and the fans vote instead of the teams etc.

Yes, i would say thats ok when fans an vote in conjunction with teams, but when some teams says we want a V12 engine for example then we´ve got the same problem like before. We´ve got more fuel consumption by less power and more expenditure.

Stupid rule to us, but as a matter of perspective to the FIA very clever. They wanted to ditch a Friday session but that idea was vetoed, so instead they've adapted the parc fermé rules to make FP3 virtually useless, so that session is effectively scrapped. At least we may see the teams a bit more urgent to get out in FP1 next year.

• UP100 pinned this topic