Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

fIsince08 said:

Hamilton has won 5 out of the 9 races he has finished this season and finished on the podium in all 9.
Rosberg has won 4 out of 10 and hasn't finished on the podium in them all.

If Lewis had obeyed team orders (something Vettel was hated on for) , Rosberg would have finished on the podium in them all and Lewis wouldn't have. 

Coming from someone who hates Vettel , it's funny how Vettel is hated on for multi 21 yet there's barely a mention when Hamilton does it.

fIsince08 said:

Hamilton has won 5 out of the 9 races he has finished this season and finished on the podium in all 9.

If Lewis had obeyed team orders (something Vettel was hated on for) , Rosberg would have finished on the podium in them all and Lewis wouldn't have. 

Coming from someone who hates Vettel , it's funny how Vettel is hated on for multi 21 yet there's barely a mention when Hamilton does it.

I see your point but it's not 100% the same thing. Vettel was battling with Webber and was right behind him while Rosberg couldn't even get into Hamilton's DRS. Lewis himself said that if Nico tried a move he would let him through.

fIsince08 said:

I disagree with team orders anyway, but hey ho.

Vettel was being told to stay behind someone he was right behind - Webber had exactly the same done to him at Silverstone in 2011.

Hamilton was being told to let by his CHAMPIONSHIP RIVAL who was over 2 seconds back through, despite easily being able to stay ahead of him (as was proven).

Plus Merc effed up Lewis' strategy anway.

mike96 said:

I see your point but it's not 100% the same thing. Vettel was battling with Webber and was right behind him while Rosberg couldn't even get into Hamilton's DRS. Lewis himself said that if Nico tried a move he would let him through.

Rosberg was in Hamilton's DRS for quite a while actually. It's just that he got in to the turbulent air zone of around 7 tenths and couldn't close any further, which in an identical car to the one in front on similarly aged tyres makes sense. Hungary is a killer for that. 

Not that I blame Hamilton for not letting Rosberg past though. He did disobey a team order which may or may not have cost Mercedes a win so morally it was wrong, but considering he's in a direct competition for the title with his teammate helping him to a possible win would be dumb. Especially as the WCC is effectively sewn up anyway. 

I would've really really loved to see it the other way around though. I imagine the reaction would be slightly different had Rosberg disobeyed the team order. 

I don't like team orders so I think what Hamilton did was fine, he shouldn't have to let him through, same as Vettel shouldn't have to sit behind and watch someone else win if he can overtake. People are going to hate Vettel for it and not Lewis, I know that, I bet a German forum hates Lewis right now, so that is fine. 

There is very few times they should be used and halfway through the season with the two drivers who will finish 1-2 in the championship isn't the right time. In fact, Mercedes shouldn't use them full stop now, it would be unfair.

It will still take all the teams to agree on that, but with Bernie behind it and the general unpopularity with the idea I hope that won't be too difficult. So good news. 

However it just annoys me that decisions like this make F1 look more and more farcical with the way it changes it's mind on a regular basis and goes to show how badly thought through this was as well. 

VetteIfan said:

It will still take all the teams to agree on that, but with Bernie behind it and the general unpopularity with the idea I hope that won't be too difficult. So good news. 

Indeed, but remember he didn't want the new engines as well..  I remain positive about this though.

• UP100 pinned this topic