Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Jesus, this is scary.

Max Verstappen is apparently being linked with the Red Bull and Mercedes young driver programmes, and his father, Jos, even hinted at him driving in F1 next year.

This guy is a month younger than me, and he's only 16 years old. 

Jesus, this is scary.

Max Verstappen is apparently being linked with the Red Bull and Mercedes young driver programmes, and his father, Jos, even hinted at him driving in F1 next year.

This guy is a month younger than me, and he's only 16 years old. 

This was a post by someone on the autosport forums at the end of last year : 

This guy (son of ex-F1 Driver Jos Verstappen) deserves some attention here. He just turned 16 years old, but this kid is definitely something else.

In 2005 at the age of 7 he begins karting in the Belgium MiniClass Championship. He wins it. In the year following he drives the same class again. Dry races, wet races... it doesn't matter. 21 Races, 21 Wins.

In 2007 he enters the Rotax Max Mini class. 18 Races. 18 Wins.

In 2008 (10 years old) he enters 3 championships: Rotax Max Mini class: 18 Races, 16 wins. BeNeLux chamionship (Rotax Max Mini): 12 races, 11 wins. Cadetclass: 11 races, 11 wins.

Because of his age he is not allowed to go to faster classes, so in 2009 he drives the same championships as in 2008. 42 Races. 39 Wins. 3 Championship titles.

In 2010 he is 12 years old and allowed to go international. He drives multiple series in the KF3 class as a works driver for CRG and becomes European Champion.

In 2011 he drives the same championships as before (again age won't allow him to go higher up) and is again crowned EU Champ, dispite missing a weekend because of a back injury.

In 2012 he enters the KF2, KF1 and KZ2 (manual gearbox) classes. He shows amazing speed, but fails to deliver results with lots of mechanical issues and crashes.

2013 Is a different story however. He becomes World Champion in the KZ and European Champion in both KZ and KF. He wins almost everything he enters.

Now being quick in a kart doesn't always mean you're quick in a racecar as well, that's always something that has to be seen.

And so he went testing a Formula Renault 2.0 at the age of 15 (and later 16) a few times last month.

First he drives some privat tests for Manor GP and Koiranen. He goes quicker than any (experienced) driver ever did for those teams. Then he enters tests where other (more experienced) drivers participate in:

Hungaroring:

28/29 okt 2013: 1st (Breaks the official lap record)

Spa-Francorchamps (wet):

04 nov 2013: 1st

05 nov 2013: 1st

Circuit de Catalunya:

12 nov 2013: 1st

13 nov 2013: 1st. (Breaks the official lap record)

Not exactly a bad CV. :o :open_mouth:  :open_mouth:   He's crazy good.

He's currently competing in the European F3 championship, and after recently having a 6 win streak is in 2nd overall (Tho he is almost 100 points behind the leader who is also a Euro F3 rookie, Esteban Ocon with 3 rounds left to go). He's struggled with a lot of DNFs. I do hope they don't force him straight up to the top level, it can absolutely ruin a drivers career.
And one of F1's best corners has just become boring... 
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/170703.html

Spa lost a lot of its appeal in my opinion when they added all the run off it has now to the point where I don't rate it much higher than the likes of Abu Dhabi or China now, frankly I think spa is a pretty poor overrated track now, Monza looks to be going to same way.

Well Monza is now trending on my Twitter...

What a shame, it was a corner that actually punished a mistake. Look at Hamilton last year, he took his eye of the track briefly and ran off wide, and he therefore had a rubbish session. Now, he'll just re-join with no punishment.

APR193 said:

Spa lost a lot of its appeal in my opinion when they added all the run off it has now to the point where I don't rate it much higher than the likes of Abu Dhabi or China now, frankly I think spa is a pretty poor overrated track now, Monza looks to be going to same way.

The removal of gravel traps is not something that I think many people are in favour of, but it doesn't demote Spa to being one of the worst races of the season. The cars are still driving round the same ribbon of road. A ribbon of road that is one of the best of the season at Spa. 

VetteIfan said:
APR193 said:

The removal of gravel traps is not something that I think many people are in favour of, but it doesn't demote Spa to being one of the worst races of the season. The cars are still driving round the same ribbon of road. A ribbon of road that is one of the best of the season at Spa. 

Personally I think it has removed a huge amount of the challenge and as a result the excitement, in the same way adding massive run off did at Silverstone, Catalunya, Hockenheim etc. They all used to be tracks I looked forward to for a variety of championships throughout the year but now I personally think they are all fairly average. Spa is not one of the worst races of the year but it is the most overrated track in my opinion. Nowhere near what it used to be which is a shame, as it was amazing. 

In a way I am glad F1 goes to the silly amount of tilke tracks it does, if it still went to the kind of tracks it did 10-15 years ago they'd all have silly amounts of run off and all be ruined. At least this way MotoGP/SBK etc get some good classic tracks to go to

• UP100 pinned this topic