Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

The Tweets I'm seeing are that the best car won SPOTY, and that Rory McIlroy deserved it more...
Seems they forget the challenge Rosberg put up, and the fact that with 7 races remaining out of 19, Hamilton was 29 points behind and had to fight to win it in the end. 

As for McIlroy, yes it takes skill to hit a small ball with a stick, and yes you have to be pretty smart to get it in the hole a few times a year. Though the worst conditions he'll face is a bit of rain while he stands under his umbrella. Plus there's the fact that golf can't be too taxing on the body when golfers can still be competitive into their 50's and 60's and get driven around in golf carts that do 20mph.

That's a little different to 200mph. The current average retirement age in F1 is mid to late 30's because of the stress the forces of the car have on the drivers body, despite how intense the training is they do. Then there's the fact that they're in that car for roughly 6 and a half hours, 19 times a year (123.5 hours) over 9 months, and that's not including any testing or promo runs. And I think I can point to the Japanese Grand Prix and say a golfer doesn't have to face those kind of conditions, and doesn't have to face the possible consequences that getting it wrong in a Formula 1 car has.

I know the BBC award is about personality, but saying McIlroy deserves more recognition than Hamilton is just plain BS in my opinion. Thinking about it, golfers are lazy and I'm not sure how they're even called sportsmen compared to an F1 driver. Would you call a chess player a sportsman? Because that's what I'd compare golf to.

The Tweets I'm seeing are that the best car won SPOTY, and that Rory McIlroy deserved it more...
Seems they forget the challenge Rosberg put up, and the fact that with 7 races remaining out of 19, Hamilton was 29 points behind and had to fight to win it in the end. 

As for McIlroy, yes it takes skill to hit a small ball with a stick, and yes you have to be pretty smart to get it in the hole a few times a year. Though the worst conditions he'll face is a bit of rain while he stands under his umbrella. Plus there's the fact that golf can't be too taxing on the body when golfers can still be competitive into their 50's and 60's and get driven around in golf carts that do 20mph.

That's a little different to 200mph. The current average retirement age in F1 is mid to late 30's because of the stress the forces of the car have on the drivers body, despite how intense the training is they do. Then there's the fact that they're in that car for roughly 6 and a half hours, 19 times a year (123.5 hours) over 9 months, and that's not including any testing or promo runs. And I think I can point to the Japanese Grand Prix and say a golfer doesn't have to face those kind of conditions, and doesn't have to face the possible consequences that getting it wrong in a Formula 1 car has.

I know the BBC award is about personality, but saying McIlroy deserves more recognition than Hamilton is just plain BS in my opinion. Thinking about it, golfers are lazy and I'm not sure how they're even called sportsmen compared to an F1 driver. Would you call a chess player a sportsman? Because that's what I'd compare golf to.
While this seems harsh, its true. 

• Codemasters Staff

If it were called 'Sports Achiever Of The Year' I'd agree. But if it's about 'personality' then I don't think any of this really applies.

It's all done via public vote though isn't it? I guess the two are hard to distinguish when it's all just a simple popularity contest. In that context it's heartening to see how many people will still vote for F1 drivers!

@Britpoint Nah, I do agree with your first point, but my post was mainly directed at people on Twitter saying Hamilton didn't deserve it because F1 isn't a 'real sport' and golf is :p 

in my view F1 is moer of a sport than Golf is as most of the time in golf al your doing is chasing a bal around a course till it goes in a damned hole. I enjoy playing golf on computer now and then but in reality I think based on physical and mental stress F1 is much tougher. Also the popularity of F1 is much higher than golf as I read once that F1 is the 3rd most popular sport in the world after the Olympics and Football (Soccer to any Americans that maybe wondering what I'm talking about.)

Liam12d said:
Is it just me who doesn't get the crap about Lewis not having a personality? 
The two speeches/interviews he gave were great, didn't show anything that pointed towards a lack of personality imo.  
I'm not a fan of his but I've never understood what it is that people seem to passionately hate about him

They don't even chase the ball Sharpie, they get sedately driven to it :p 

I've no idea how either sport ranks in popularity, but, and I'm risking offending any golfists we may have here, it's simply a much more sleep inducing and boring sport than F1 in my opinion.

they still have to go after it though that's what I meant and just keep hitting it till they get it in the damn hole.

Even Joey Barton's criticised whether Lewis is even eligible for it. I'd say he's deserving of it though he's worked hard to put himself in the position he's in. Not many Brit's can claim to be a double world champion Lewis can.

Some crap footballer for a terrible team has called Hamilton a tax exile and says he should be banned, yet forgets to mention Gareth Bale was nominated too.

And then someone said this to him...
https://twitter.com/nellyweather/status/544419349239717888

I don't knock any sport, because I know different people enjoy them to the same levels we enjoy F1. Having said this, when you compare all the sports, 3 main things stick out. How much talent you need to be good at it, the level of fitness required and how much effort you need to invest when playing/competing. 

Comparing F1 to golf in these regards blows golfing out the water. Golf at the end of the day isn't anywhere as challenging as F1 or most sports, its a game about technique and precision rather than physicality. Although if Rory would have won he would have deserved it, he took on everyone in his field and beat them incredibly.    

fIsince08 said:
Some crap footballer for a terrible team has called Hamilton a tax exile and says he should be banned, yet forgets to mention Gareth Bale was nominated too.

Joey Barton is hardly qualified to say what makes a sports personality anyway. He's just a moron that aches for attention.

fIsince08 said:

Joey Barton is hardly qualified to say what makes a sports personality anyway. He's just a moron that aches for attention.
Couldn't agree more, the man is a halfwit oaf.

I quite enjoyed seeing F1-fans unite against attacks on Hamilton's and/or the sport's credibility regardless on whether they like Hamilton or not over these last few days.

I wasn't even aware of this idea that autosport is an easy thing to do, but I guess the general public is even more stupid than I thought was possible. People should remember that the next time they think they're Schumacher on a public road and end up hitting a random object, or even worse, a person. But looking at how angry people are getting at Hamilton's victory, that just brings a smile to my face.

APR193 said:
Liam12d said:
Is it just me who doesn't get the crap about Lewis not having a personality? 
The two speeches/interviews he gave were great, didn't show anything that pointed towards a lack of personality imo.  
I'm not a fan of his but I've never understood what it is that people seem to passionately hate about him
80% of my dislike for him now mainly lies with his fans. He does encourage them by using several of the gayest hashtags on twitter, however it's not completely in his control, so I try to put that factor to one side. 

The other 20% is mainly because of the showbiz lifestyle factor. It's his life to live of course, but I like to support someone who I can relate to. Sometimes it just seems like he cares more about being a celebrity than a driver. And while this hasn't affected his driving, it's just a mentality that you see everywhere in him which I can't bring myself to love, from being the happy go lucky kid we saw in 2007. 

Credit where it's due though. The petulant outbursts are getting ever rarer, and since he moved to Mercedes he's seemingly much more humbled and grown up than he was in the Mclaren days on the race scene. There's the odd dumb comment here and there still, but I think with someone with the "heart on the sleeve" attitude of Lewis they're always going to exist. That attitude being one of the things I do admire about him. 

I agree, his fans are some of the most stupid. Although tbh I've never been on a German or Spanish forum so I can't really compare it with Vettel or Alonso fans. 
The thing that bothers me too is his celebrity appearance. He isn't like Vettel or Alonso in that regard. He always wears sunglasses, he is a wannabe American, he takes his dog to race weekends, he wears a snapback for his official hat, he always wears gangster stuff.

I feel like if testing was open at all times, Vettel and Alonso would be out on track (Like Schumacher) a lot and Hamilton would do a few laps, then change into some swag and go hang out with his celebrity friends for the rest of the day. 

AMS97KRR said:
I agree, his fans are some of the most stupid. Although tbh I've never been on a German or Spanish forum so I can't really compare it with Vettel or Alonso fans. 
The thing that bothers me too is his celebrity appearance. He isn't like Vettel or Alonso in that regard. He always wears sunglasses, he is a wannabe American, he takes his dog to race weekends, he wears a snapback for his official hat, he always wears gangster stuff.

I feel like if testing was open at all times, Vettel and Alonso would be out on track (Like Schumacher) a lot and Hamilton would do a few laps, then change into some swag and go hang out with his celebrity friends for the rest of the day. 
Tbf Hamilton's fashion style is terrible...

Liam12d said:
I don't knock any sport, because I know different people enjoy them to the same levels we enjoy F1. Having said this, when you compare all the sports, 3 main things stick out. How much talent you need to be good at it, the level of fitness required and how much effort you need to invest when playing/competing. 

Comparing F1 to golf in these regards blows golfing out the water. Golf at the end of the day isn't anywhere as challenging as F1 or most sports, its a game about technique and precision rather than physicality. Although if Rory would have won he would have deserved it, he took on everyone in his field and beat them incredibly.    
I'm guessing you don't play golf?

Out of the 3 things that stick out for you, I'd agree that F1 blows golf out of the water in terms of the level of fitness required. But to be the best in the world at anything you need a hell of a lot of talent and you need to invest a hell of a lot of effort.

Its quite funny to see the irony in this thread of everyone dismissing golf in the same way golf fans are dismissing F1. The world is funny sometimes.

Platy said:
Liam12d said:

Out of the 3 things that stick out for you, I'd agree that F1 blows golf out of the water in terms of the level of fitness required. But to be the best in the world at anything you need a hell of a lot of talent and you need to invest a hell of a lot of effort.

Its quite funny to see the irony in this thread of everyone dismissing golf in the same way golf fans are dismissing F1. The world is funny sometimes.
Golf started it :p 

I think we should blame Nicole for Hamiltons 'fashion sense' these days :p 

When he's at a race weekend or on track in the team kit or overalls I'm a big fan. But outside of that, all the stupid articles about how he's dodging tax, or buying bling, none of them pique my interest in the slightest. I'm a fan of what he does on a race weekend, not what he wears on his day off.

When he's at a race weekend or on track in the team kit or overalls I'm a big fan. But outside of that, all the stupid articles about how he's dodging tax, or buying bling, none of them pique my interest in the slightest. I'm a fan of what he does on a race weekend, not what he wears on his day off.
This. All the tax dodging claims are haters, many people choose to live outside of the UK. Haters are so extreme, I read an article after he won at Silverstone blasting him for shouting England over the radio.

His snapbacks are amazing though.

The thing with Hamilton is that he expresses himself in such a bashful manner that it easily appears like he's showing off with it and nobody likes a showoff. A lot of his personality traits and antics can be compared with Kimi Raikkönen, who wore the flatcap snapbacks before anyone else and was notorious for his playboy lifestyle. The difference is that Kimi involves absolutely nobody except for the people around him with it. Hamilton seems to be in need of an audience at all times. Like he's The Rock 24/7 and his behaviour seems to be designed to generate attention, which makes sense looking at how active Hamilton is on social media and stuff.

In a way, I feel he is like the embodiment of the modern day social man, acting like a live museum, with their life as an exhibition, sharing as much as possible with as many people as possible. Which would be nothing out of the ordinary in a place like America, but in Europe, it can be seen as a bit too much. I also suspect that, as a McLaren-junior, his life was really led by them from a young age, thus meaning he only started to "act out" at a relatively late age, when their relationship already started breaking down in F1.

I ended up doing some half-assed amateur psychology here ffs....

Yet you hate hate Vettel's off track personality ? 

Platy said:
Liam12d said:

I don't think that was the point people are making though . We all recognise it takes immense effort to get to the top of any sport. What we're getting at is the fact that golfers are saying F1 isn't a sport , yet golfing is much less physically demanding than F1.

Platy said:
Liam12d said:

I don't think that was the point people are making though . We all recognise it takes immense effort to get to the top of any sport. What we're getting at is the fact that golfers are saying F1 isn't a sport , yet golfing is much less physically demanding than F1.
Actually, no :p I've said I like Vettel, and how he comes across as someone really likeable and funny to around when he's away from a racetrack, but dislike how his personality switches on a race weekend. I've actually posted that here a couple of times before ;)

Platy said:
Liam12d said:

Actually, no :p I've said I like Vettel, and how he comes across as someone really likeable and funny to around when he's away from a racetrack, but dislike how his personality switches on a race weekend. I've actually posted that here a couple of times before ;)
That makes no sense. How can you dislike Vettel for being more focused and determined on a race weekend when there's so much more pressure on compared to any other day? I'm pretty sure every F1 drivers personality changes on a race weekend compared other days. 

I dislike him on a race weekend because he turns into a brat when something doesn't work in his favour :p Yes all drivers do change personality over a race weekend, but screaming "Do something!" at his team after being overtaken by a Caterham just rubs me the wrong way. Then of course we have Malaysia 2013...

I dislike him on a race weekend because he turns into a brat when something doesn't work in his favour :p Yes all drivers do change personality over a race weekend, but screaming "Do something!" at his team after being overtaken by a Caterham just rubs me the wrong way. Then of course we have Malaysia 2013...
Lewis does that as well. As does Alonso , you're just not looking for it.

I don't recall hearing Hamilton or Alonso screaming at the team when they're overtaken by one of the slowest cars on the grid. Probably because they haven't been overtaken by a Caterham ;)

I don't recall hearing Hamilton or Alonso screaming at the team when they're overtaken by one of the slowest cars on the grid. Probably because they haven't been overtaken by a Caterham ;)
Stevens.

• The topic was pinned