Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Unlikely. As far as I'm aware Lotterer doesn't seem to have any personal backers that could broker such a deal. Kamui's effectively driving for free, so I can't see any financial gain that Caterham could gain from this.

This move makes absolutely no sense.

Lotterer apparently is a good developer, so they're looking for his feedback.

Could've just asked Nick Heidfeld, but whatever. Also, Spa is one of the joker races, this is basically throwing a race away, because there is no way Lotterer is going to perform.

Jiggy said:

Could've just asked Nick Heidfeld, but whatever. Also, Spa is one of the joker races, this is basically throwing a race away, because there is no way Lotterer is going to perform.

Lotterer has been driving Super Formula cars in Japan for years, and considering how slow the Caterham is it won't be that big of a jump for him. And don't forget that the man is a 3x Le Mans winner in a car that has a higher top speed than the Caterham.

I don't expect him to be amazing, but I wouldn't be surprised if he out performs Joffrey Ericsson.

Jiggy said:

Lotterer has been driving Super Formula cars in Japan for years, and considering how slow the Caterham is it won't be that big of a jump for him. And don't forget that the man is a 3x Le Mans winner in a car that has a higher top speed than the Caterham.

I don't expect him to be amazing, but I wouldn't be surprised if he out performs Joffrey Ericsson.

None of that sounds all too helpful to me in terms of usability in Formula One-racing tbh. Especially when it's harder than ever to just jump into a F1-car and start racing. 2009 had the famous case of Badoer, but also Fisichella, who was an active GP-racer, was miles off the pace when he jumped into a new car mid-season. Senna had the same problem at Lotus in 2011 when he replaced Heidfeld. Even Ricciardo was way off the pace compared to freaking Liuzzi at first. And here you have a guy who hasn't been near a F1-car in 10 years. I would be surprised if he takes that Caterham within half a second from Ericsson.

How is Super Formula not too helpful in terms of usability? Their lap times at Suzuka are only about 6-7 seconds slower than a 2013 F1 car, so it won't be much different from going GP2 to F1.

And with his Le Mans experience he'll be used to the kind of speeds they'll be hitting. The only thing that could throw him off is how fast the cars accelerate, how much they grip in the corners, and how technical they are to maintain.

How is Super Formula not too helpful in terms of usability? Their lap times at Suzuka are only about 6-7 seconds slower than a 2013 F1 car, so it won't be much different from going GP2 to F1.

And with his Le Mans experience he'll be used to the kind of speeds they'll be hitting. The only thing that could throw him off is how fast the cars accelerate, how much they grip in the corners, and how technical they are to maintain.

I'm pretty confident that this years LMP1 cars are much grippier in corners than this years F1 cars , especially the Caterham , so that wouldn't be a problem. What puzzles me though ,. is that he seems to be coming in as a ''test'' driver ,but wouldn't you rather someone has already driven the car all year without the updates to test it rather than somebody who hasn't been in an F1 car in over 10 years.

According to a newspaper in Italy, Vettel has signed a contract to drive at Mclaren next season. It says the move will be announced in Monza and he will replace Button. 

Italian newspapers are always a source to be suspicious of, but there's been a rumoured deal on the table from Mclaren to Vettel for some time now so it isn't a story completely out of the blue. 

Not going to happen. The only reason Vettel would move is if the car wasn't up to scratch, what makes him think Red Bull will do any worse than McLaren next season? He seems happy with the team, even if the car isn't exactly in a world championship winning position. McLaren aren't improving, and nothing makes me think they will improve next season (who really knows if that Honda engine is going to be much of an improvement?).

Vettel is a very intelligent guy, going to McLaren would be a dumb move.

VetteIfan said:

According to a newspaper in Italy, Vettel has signed a contract to drive at Mclaren next season. It says the move will be announced in Monza and he will replace Button. 

Italian newspapers are always a source to be suspicious of, but there's been a rumoured deal on the table from Mclaren to Vettel for some time now so it isn't a story completely out of the blue. 

I can only repeat myself. If this is true: YOLO

And on Verstappen, I couldn't believe it when I first read it. A driver in F1 who is younger than me? Wow.

Yes Max has the talent, but what about Sainz Jr and Alex Lynn who have been overlooked. Sainz is doing an incredible job in F3.5, the same with Lynn in GP3. Seems very silly to me by Red Bull.

And on Verstappen, I couldn't believe it when I first read it. A driver in F1 who is younger than me? Wow.

Yes Max has the talent, but what about Sainz Jr and Alex Lynn who have been overlooked. Sainz is doing an incredible job in F3.5, the same with Lynn in GP3. Seems very silly to me by Red Bull.

He's currently 7 years younger than me.
I feel crappy about that somehow.

He's currently 7 years younger than me.
I feel crappy about that somehow.

Ahhh, he will always be 7 years younger than you :p

PeteTheDuck said:

Remember Red Bull and Mercedes were trying to get him, and what does Red Bull have that Mercedes don't? A race seat in F1 ;)

• UP100 pinned this topic