Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

No they don't they can just pull up and drive away, because I think Alonso did that in Bahrain in 2013, when he came in the second time.
That's what I'm not sure on. I know when Michael had it at Canada in 2012 they didn't, but I'm almost certain they changed Alonso's tyres both times.

Pre season test schedule, a lot later than normal and it's all in Spain.

fIsince08 said:
No they don't they can just pull up and drive away, because I think Alonso did that in Bahrain in 2013, when he came in the second time.
That's what I'm not sure on. I know when Michael had it at Canada in 2012 they didn't, but I'm almost certain they changed Alonso's tyres both times.

I suppose starting later means there is a smaller gap between the last test and the first GP

Juice29 said:
fIsince08 said:

I suppose starting later means there is a smaller gap between the last test and the first GP

fIsince08 said:

Pre season test schedule, a lot later than normal and it's all in 
Actually , no.  It ends 1 day earlier than last year.

Well, done a little bit of a search around and it seems, although the article is correct, it's somewhat worded to make it seem Honda will be at a heavy disadvantage. This season; Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari are able to develop 48% of their unit (32 tokens) and that would had to have been done by February 28th. The loophole only means that instead of hitting the 48% limit by February, they have all season. But it doesn't mean they can develop any more than they already could. Honda are basically a year behind so they will be in the same position next season. In 2016; Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault will only be able to develop 41% of the unit whereas Honda will be able to develop 48% and so on.
Basically, Honda probably won't actually be disadvantaged at all as they will still be in the same situation they would have been had the loophole not existed.

Well, done a little bit of a search around and it seems, although the article is correct, it's somewhat worded to make it seem Honda will be at a heavy disadvantage. This season; Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari are able to develop 48% of their unit (32 tokens) and that would had to have been done by February 28th. The loophole only means that instead of hitting the 48% limit by February, they have all season. But it doesn't mean they can develop any more than they already could. Honda are basically a year behind so they will be in the same position next season. In 2016; Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault will only be able to develop 41% of the unit whereas Honda will be able to develop 48% and so on.
Basically, Honda probably won't actually be disadvantaged at all as they will still be in the same situation they would have been had the loophole not existed.
Ah, that makes sense.

Renault have said (when the homologation was in effect) that the limiting factor with engine development was time, not tokens. So, in effect they can actually develop more than they could before, because they've now got the time to.  

VetteIfan said:
Renault have said (when the homologation was in effect) that the limiting factor with engine development was time, not tokens. So, in effect they can actually develop more than they could before, because they've now got the time to.  
This is true. But saying that, Honda will have used the 2014 season as a development year while the others obviously wouldn't have been able to so even that disadvantage will be somewhat negated. Plus, if the other teams are taking longer to develop they won't be reaping the full benefit of the extra 48% for the whole season. It wouldn't surprise me if most of them use their 48% before the season opener.

Saying all that though, I still think it's wrong that the FIA are allowing them the use of this loophole in the interest of fairness. It won't be encouraging many other manufacturers to supply engines if they know they can't develop to the same rules as the established suppliers.

Britpoint said:
Yeah, he and Brundle went straight to F1 from British F3. Although not sure if it's really a fair comparison as feeder series were very different back in those days.
Goodness, you're right! Well I think back then F3 was higher up in the feeder series rankings than it is now, perhaps the equivalent to GP3? 

It's quite hard to judge, but by rating old championships on the same level as their equivalent modern day counterparts, the following drivers would not have made their F1 debuts when they did under the current super license rules:

Schumacher
Senna
Hakkinen
Villeneuve (Gilles)
Clark
Alonso
Vettel
Button
Raikkonen
Ricciardo
Massa
Verstappen (Max)
Carlos Sainz Jr

I can see the FIA's point. Bunch of amateurs.

Here is what we've all been waiting for, the Live races for BBC this year. 
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9634413/lewis-hamilton-begins-f1-title-defence-exclusively-live-on-sky-sports-f1

I don't know why again the beeb didn't get the first race, the time zone?

Anyway they missed out the US and Mexico for damn Russia, why?
The good news is Brazil and Abu Dhab are live as well as Spa and Silverstone. 

A surprisingly not well thought out comment from Nico, considering he's 30 himself later this year. Lewis has plenty of ammunition to make a comeback to that one.

Found it difficult to believe tbh though when the realisation hit me that Lewis is 30 now. I hope I'm not the only one who feels really old?

VetteIfan said:
Found it difficult to believe tbh though when the realisation hit me that Lewis is 30 now. I hope I'm not the only one who feels really old?
I can't believe he's 30 either. I remember watching his first F1 race when he was 22 and I can't believe he's been in F1 for eight years now! I was 10 years old when he first started racing, I don't know where the time has gone.

Also, I do feel old now when I think Max Verstappen is racing this season and he's actually younger than me.

VetteIfan said:
I can't believe he's 30 either. I remember watching his first F1 race when he was 22 and I can't believe he's been in F1 for eight years now! I was 10 years old when he first started racing, I don't know where the time has gone.

Also, I do feel old now when I think Max Verstappen is racing this season and he's actually younger than me.
Well, imagine how Button, Raikkonen and Alonso feel since they raced against his father :p

Looking at the original and the revamped circuit, I am going ahead on a limp and say that it's not a good track in general. And now it's just overly simplistic because of my precious run-off areas, but those extended versions of Becketts also looked ridiciolous if you ask me.

• The topic was pinned