Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Can we go back to Vettel winning every race? He was a German I loved to hate, plus he's actually a better driver than Rosberg.

(Shock, horror, I just said Vettel is good :o)

Wow, major credit to Rosberg. I couldn't even dream of pulling this kind of sentiment out of you :p

I agree with Jiggy though. After Spain Rosberg needed to get the wind back in his favour. And, by one way or another, he's managed to do that. He's doing what it takes to win, whatever it may mean for his reputation or public perception. Whatever you may think of the actions he's actually committing is another matter, but the "win at all costs" mentality is one he has needed to adopt in a title fight as intense as this. 

AMS97KRR said:

I find it funny the way people say "Ricciardo is beating Vettel, can you believe it? Ricciardo?" almost as if he is a bad driver.

It is clear Vettel doesn't like the car, but why does Ricciardo "being better" or on the same level (according to some people) have to be a negative thing? Maybe Vettel is the driver his championships show and Ricciardo is just as good? Is it impossible that Ricciardo is actually a very good driver too? If Ricciardo ends up with 5 titles and Vettel ends of 4, how will you all look back on their time together? Because Ricciardo is showing all the same things Vettel has, he is very quick, calm and doesn't make many mistakes. 

Any way you look at it, Vettel is still in the top 5 drivers on the grid (Lewis, Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo and Raikkonen based on current and past form). In my opinion Ricciardo beating Vettel is a mix of bad luck for Vettel, Ricciardo actually being a good driver and the car suiting Ricciardo more. 

Like I've said in the past, give it a couple of years and we'll see. 

The reason I've been saying stuff like "Ricciardo is beating Vettel, can you believe it? Ricciardo?" is because Sebastian Vettel is a 4 time world champion, and surely someone that good should beat or at least equal his younger and less experienced team mate! The fact Ricciardo has won 3 races to Vettel's 0 this year is awesome, more points, and today he finished over 50 seconds ahead of him. Vettel is being trounced this year.

I respect Vettel a lot, he's a great driver, but it just shows that if Ricciardo was in the same car as Vettel for the last 5 years then maybe Vettel wouldn't have the championships he has.

Can you imagine if we wiped the past behind us. Say both Ricciardo and Vettel joined Red Bull or a lower team as rookies this year, no past to judge them on. We would be sitting here saying "Ricciardo is fantastic, a star of the future, but Vettel doesn't look great for the future". Same story with Alonso and Raikkonen.

Rosberg didn't hit him on purpose. He held his line to show Lewis he wasn't going to back down, aka "Prove a point". This meant that contact took place accidentally, ruining both of their races. Lewis being Lewis took that as "He hit me to prove a point" and has caused a monumental ship storm.

Rosberg didn't hit him on purpose. He held his line to show Lewis he wasn't going to back down, aka "Prove a point". This meant that contact took place accidentally, ruining both of their races. Lewis being Lewis took that as "He hit me to prove a point" and has caused a monumental ship storm.

Yeah pretty much this. 

I think Lewis probably got quite pissed after the debrief, which is probably what lead to the wording of his statement. 

AMS97KRR said:

I find it funny the way people say "Ricciardo is beating Vettel, can you believe it? Ricciardo?" almost as if he is a bad driver.

It is clear Vettel doesn't like the car, but why does Ricciardo "being better" or on the same level (according to some people) have to be a negative thing? Maybe Vettel is the driver his championships show and Ricciardo is just as good? Is it impossible that Ricciardo is actually a very good driver too? If Ricciardo ends up with 5 titles and Vettel ends of 4, how will you all look back on their time together? Because Ricciardo is showing all the same things Vettel has, he is very quick, calm and doesn't make many mistakes. 

Any way you look at it, Vettel is still in the top 5 drivers on the grid (Lewis, Alonso, Vettel, Ricciardo and Raikkonen based on current and past form). In my opinion Ricciardo beating Vettel is a mix of bad luck for Vettel, Ricciardo actually being a good driver and the car suiting Ricciardo more. 

Like I've said in the past, give it a couple of years and we'll see. 

The reason I've been saying stuff like "Ricciardo is beating Vettel, can you believe it? Ricciardo?" is because Sebastian Vettel is a 4 time world champion, and surely someone that good should beat or at least equal his younger and less experienced team mate! The fact Ricciardo has won 3 races to Vettel's 0 this year is awesome, more points, and today he finished over 50 seconds ahead of him. Vettel is being trounced this year.

I respect Vettel a lot, he's a great driver, but it just shows that if Ricciardo was in the same car as Vettel for the last 5 years then maybe Vettel wouldn't have the championships he has.

Can you imagine if we wiped the past behind us. Say both Ricciardo and Vettel joined Red Bull or a lower team as rookies this year, no past to judge them on. We would be sitting here saying "Ricciardo is fantastic, a star of the future, but Vettel doesn't look great for the future". Same story with Alonso and Raikkonen.

I think Vettel would still have won all 4. Vettel mastered the blown diffuser cars and trounced a well respected Webber in the process. Vettel is just a bit sensitive to how he likes his cars, much like Raikkonen. Once he finds that sweet spot though, he's very difficult to beat, just look at 2011 and 2013 as evidence.

I don't think that makes him or Raikkonen less of a driver, when Vettel has finished, he hasn't done badly, he just hasn't been lucky enough to be behind the Mercedes when they fall off the track, today he was but he made a mistake and had a damaged car (confirmed by Horner after the race). In Monaco he was on the podium when his car broke, and in Australia he had a broken car all weekend. 

Ricciardo has done a great job, but as Vettel, Horner and others have said, Vettel has had awful luck, which is probably due after the second half of 2013. Points wise it'd be a lot closer if he hadn't had so many issues.

Gotta love it when the Vettel fans try and defend him ;) The way I'm looking at it, he's taken far too long to adjust to this car and he's been left behind by Ricciardo. He's also created some of his own bad luck, spinning in Hungary, running over the kerbs in Spa... But having said that, his attitude about the whole thing has been very good. He whined a bit after the first few races, but since then he's got his head down and gotten on with the job.

Also it's quite nice for the rest of us to see him back in the pack and actually racing now. His running away at the front act got tedious by 2011!

Your last paragraph, you could insert just about any 2 teammates and it would read the same, especially with Hamilton and Rosberg :p

I dont know if Hamilton meant to say that Rosberg crashed into him on purpose, hes not the immature social media retard he was in 2011 with the telemetry shizzle, but perhaps he didnt interpret the "I was trying to prove a point" line from Rosbergin the way it was meant, he probably meant that he wanted to prove a point by ctually passing him on track and not being Hamilton's wheel to wheel bitch anymore, but got overzeolous and messed up. But I bet he wasnt gutted when he saw Hamilton's flat left rear. 

And tbh I dont really believe either of them when they say things such as "its dissapointing from the teams perspective".

The problem with Sochi is the whole track has pretty much been dictated by the Winter Olympic venues. It's just a path of tarmac that spirals around and through all the big buildings and complexes, hence it's probably been a hard track to get creative with. 

Still, I'm not going to be the ultimate pessimist about it. A very high speed street circuit with walls all the way around. Gonna need a brave driver to get the most out of it. Might yet be good. 

• UP100 pinned this topic