Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

There's two sides to this for me. One side is saying this is a sad development, small teams are just as much a part of F1 as the big teams and on limited resources the majority of them do a great job. 

On the other side, in theory having 3 car teams should produce a closer field, and put more drivers in competitive cars. Which can only be good from an entertainment POV. 
VetteIfan said:
There's two sides to this for me. One side is saying this is a sad development, small teams are just as much a part of F1 as the big teams and on limited resources the majority of them do a great job. 

On the other side, in theory having 3 car teams should produce a closer field, and put more drivers in competitive cars. Which can only be good from an entertainment POV. 
Six Red Bull's are a bummer though. And imagine if Mercedes produces another W05-like car next year. 3 Mercedes cars on the podium most of the time? Not good for the show, but let's see if Parr is even right.
If we do go to three car teams, It could look like this:
Red Bull: Vettel, Ricciardo, Vergne
Merc: Hamilton, Alonso, Rosberg
Ferrari: Raikkonen, Hulkenberg, Bianchi
Williams: Massa, Bottas, Nasr
McLaren: Button, Magnussen, Vandoorne
Force India: Perez, Juncadella, Kobayashi
Toro Rosso: Kvyat, Verstappen, Lynn
Haas: Grosjean, Gutierrez, Rossi
APR193 said:
I hope and don't think that this is true. How can you say to three teams, sorry you're not needed anymore. Not going to happen. They might run three car teams at some point but they won't kick three teams out of F1 for no real reason.
It was more them going bust than them being kicked out.
fIsince08 said:
APR193 said:
I hope and don't think that this is true. How can you say to three teams, sorry you're not needed anymore. Not going to happen. They might run three car teams at some point but they won't kick three teams out of F1 for no real reason.
It was more them going bust than them being kicked out.
They wouldn't go bust all at the same time if they don't switch to three car teams. They should at most have the option of a three car team. Then to make sure teams with three car teams don't have an advantage in constructors make it so constructors is worked out with only the best result the team get rather than every result. So Mercedes get a 1-2-3 they get 25 points, rather than 58, etc etc.

I seriously hope they never go to three car teams though, especially not with only 8 teams. Only 8 different looking cars would detract massively for me, especially when at the moment 6 of them would have the same livery.
If Marussia pick up the €20m or whatever it is bonus for 9th, I suspect they'll be in next season. Either way, Bernie needs to do more to keep teams in F1, not out. He's not going to get richer with no teams for anyone to watch...
I think Ted Kravitz said it's nearer 90 million...
fIsince08 said:
If Marussia pick up the €20m or whatever it is bonus for 9th, I suspect they'll be in next season. Either way, Bernie needs to do more to keep teams in F1, not out. He's not going to get richer with no teams for anyone to watch...
I think Ted Kravitz said it's nearer 90 million...
I think that's more than their current budget! €50m last time I heard it.
  • UP100 pinned this topic