Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I echo the thoughts of GoldenClot and AMS. I think this is going to end up in a similar way the banning of team orders did, with teams giving their drivers secret codes, or differently worded messages, and in the end the rule will end up being over turned.

With the new generation of cars being so complex with all the various systems running on it, such as brake by wire, fuel management, ERS, MGU-K, MGU-H, etc, as well as tyre wear, burnouts to the grid, gearboxes, brakes, etc, I feel the engineer's advice and comments are essential to the cars running smoothly.

Lets take the scenario Mercedes saw in Canada. Both cars suddenly lost power and in the end I think the team ended up knowing it would effect braking, which ultimately led to Hamilton's retirement. Before the ban the radio would have been something like this, I guess:

LH: 'The car's lost power, do you know what's wrong?'
Enginner: 'Yeah Lewis, there's a problem with 'x' and that means it will probably effect your braking so change the brake bias to the rear to help conserve that and change the fuel setting to yellow G2.'

Now what would the conversation be like?

LH: 'The car's lost power, do you know what's up?'
Enginner: 'Yeah Lewis, but we can't tell you as it'll break the rules.'

That will be stupid, and obviously the team want to get the car to run as best as possible, so they will want to somehow get a message across to him telling him to change the brake bias and fuel setting.

I am sure this rule will be overturned. Seems stupid.
It will make the drivers rely on there instinct and get a feel of the car to know whats wrong just like the drivers from the 70s - 90s did.
But we will see if FOM keeps this rule after the next race.

Edit: Also Code words will be banned aswell For example: "Hammer time" or "Mix 5". And the team are not allowed to give their drivers information regarding other drivers with the exception about drivers who they are coming up behind to lap.
Yeah but back then the wheel had less than 5 buttons right? F1 is more of a team sport than ever, when you lose communication in the race, it is always a bad thing, obviously. 
But like I said and like Pete said, simple issues that can be resolved with a switch now can't be. Just wait until something happens like Lewis retires due to an issue that could have been fixed with a switch and loses the title. There will be out rage.

Due to how things are now, you wont ever re create the what people loved about the 1970's-90's. Technology has moved on and unfortunately we can't have 1000BHP cars and little downforce. F1 needs to relaxs its rules a bit, bit more innovation would be great.
At one time people got excited over innovations like fan cars, re positioning engines from front to rear, carbon fibre being used and big stuff like that, now you just have a slightly different nose cone. 
AMS97KRR said:
Technology has moved on and unfortunately we can't have 1000BHP cars and little downforce. F1 needs to relaxs its rules a bit, bit more innovation would be great.
I see what you're getting at but these two sentences don't really make sense written next to each other. By the way you talk about it I assume you like 1000bhp, low downforce cars etc (which is fine), but by relaxing the rules we're going to get further away from those type of cars. With looser restrictions the designers are only going to find more downforce, not less. 

VetteIfan said:
AMS97KRR said:
Technology has moved on and unfortunately we can't have 1000BHP cars and little downforce. F1 needs to relaxs its rules a bit, bit more innovation would be great.
I see what you're getting at but these two sentences don't really make sense written next to each other. By the way you talk about it I assume you like 1000bhp, low downforce cars etc (which is fine), but by relaxing the rules we're going to get further away from those type of cars. With looser restrictions the designers are only going to find more downforce, not less. 

I did actually mean to put that on another line. I don't mind having lots of down force or very little. I just wish we had those insanely powerful cars again. My point with the high power low down force cars was that I know people liked that about the 1980's. 
I just think a bit more freedom, to a point, in the design of the car would be nice.

Gangsta rap, rap, I am not into this sort of music to make a difference about that.
Bottom line is, he has a (gangsta) rap attitude (H.A.M. f.ex.) and that was what I was making fun of. Why would I, a LH-fan myself, have a problem with his skin color? It makes no sense. And you've overreacted, no detailed discussion about whether Diddy can be considered a gangsta-rapper or not will change anything about that.
I never said you had a problem with his skin color. My point was because Lewis has never been shown to act or talk anything like in your joke, I simply cannot see the humor in it and I'm the type who sees the humor in a lot of offensive things. I also think it's odd that you continue to base it on his non-existant "rap attitude". Whatever that is. He obviously likes hiphop and is a fan of the culture, but it's not exactly that prominent in what we see from Hamilton's personality and the idea that a hiphop-fan is associated with "yo yo yo my dawg" does irk me.

But I don't feel like I'm overreacting on your poor lapse of judgement. I still think your joke was very, very poor. That's all really.
  • UP100 pinned this topic