Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

APR193 said:
Closed cockpits would be the end of me watching F1. This years cars were bad enough
It's all about the safety of the driver not the look of the car.
You only need to make it so safe. Make it so safe it destroys what is great about motorsport. And its not just that, its that F1 is open cockpit. You change that you ruin a part of what F1 should be. It would be like if F1 starting running cars that are based on road cars. It would ruin it.
As if closed cockpits would have made this Bianchi-situation any better.
Completely agree. The last thing the sport needs to do is a knee jerk reaction to a freak accident. If you want to make it safer, all you need to do is don't allow any vehicle past the barrier unless there is a safety car/red flag. Simple
With all this talk about closed cockpits/canopies, this is my idea from a while back. Sorry for how crude the pictures are, I had to use paint and a trackpad on a work laptop.

So first is the full canopy.

And here's my compromise so that the cars are still open top, but with protection ahead of the drivers head.

• Codemasters Staff
Axonal Injury apparently. 

From what I've read, that's really serious.
Yeah, that's from Marussia's statement. The wikipedia entry on "Diffuse Axonal Injury" doesn't make for optimistic reading I'm afraid:

"The outcome is frequently coma, with over 90% of patients with severe DAI never regaining consciousness"
"About 90% of survivors with severe diffuse axonal injury remain unconscious. The 10% that regain consciousness are often severely impaired."

They said he was severe...if it turns out to be more mild he could be fine, but if it is severe then it really ain't looking good at all :(
I am 99% sure a closed cockpit would have made no difference in his incident. The impact against that JCB would have surely smashed the perspex or whatever they'd use, so maybe even then that could cause further issues with cuts and bleeding? 

For other incidents, it could certainly make a difference, but for Bianchi, no way. With a fully closed cockpit, the temperatures would be ridiculous too unless they get some kind of ventilation going on in there. Imagine at a place like Singapore, that could be dangerously hot.

Can't believe this is all actually happening. So often we've seen huge crashes and drivers walk away from them, but this seems like it could be different :( Come on Jules.
I agree wholeheartedly with APR. Closed cockpits would completely ruin what F1 is about. It's one of the fundamentals of F1. What I think would be cool though ,would be to go back to the 70's style high windshields. I know they weren't there for safety reasons but they could be ,  and it would look awesome too imo.

mike96 said:
I read that Hammond suffered a diffuse axonal injury when he had that high speed accident as well so I guess we can hope..  :)
It all depends on the severity. It just worries me that they said severe. I mean how severe? If they mean severe as in it was on the severe end in terms of  diffuse axonal injuries then be prepared because it wont be good news. 

But then maybe they just meant severe as in, his brain was injured. A severe injury would be something like that, if you know what I mean. Here's  hoping. 

EDIT: http://www.momomotorsport.com/article/what-does-severe-head-injury-really-mean-f1s-former-doctor-explains/e259f8ac475cc905520e162433418121
  • UP100 pinned this topic