Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

The fact that this is virtually the only story Caterham/Lotus have made since they joined F1 tells you all you need to know about how important they are to the sport. The worst that would come from them leaving F1 would be how many people would be out of a job. As a team they add nothing to F1 as a spectacle and would take nothing away if (or more probably when) they leave.

Every rookie they've had was out of a drive the following year. In fact, every driver who drove for Caterham, didn't drove for anyone else after the fact. And Ericsson is only their second rookie. All the other drivers they had were experienced guys who felt "any F1-team is better than nothing", but got quickly robbed of that philosophy through experience.

It's a bit sad really to see how the three 'new' teams have turned out, with the exception of Marussia perhaps. HRT started bad and just remained in bad shape until they flopped at the end of 2012. Marussia started off pretty bad as Virgin but it's good to see they've turned out alright. I really hope they remain on the grid for a while. Caterham started off the best as Lotus but they've had a very rough couple of years.

I think Gene Haas has made a very sensible decision waiting until 2016 to enter F1. It gives him another year to get whatever he needs sorted, engines, drivers, a chassis, etc. I can see them sticking around for a while actually.

It's a bit sad really to see how the three 'new' teams have turned out, with the exception of Marussia perhaps. HRT started bad and just remained in bad shape until they flopped at the end of 2012. Marussia started off pretty bad as Virgin but it's good to see they've turned out alright. I really hope they remain on the grid for a while. Caterham started off the best as Lotus but they've had a very rough couple of years.

I think Gene Haas has made a very sensible decision waiting until 2016 to enter F1. It gives him another year to get whatever he needs sorted, engines, drivers, a chassis, etc. I can see them sticking around for a while actually.
Have they though? They've done the best of the new teams for sure, but 2 points in 5 years is pretty bad on the whole. And the main problem for me is I can't ever see them becoming established and consistent points scorers. They've simply not got the budget and resources under the current format. The way I see it the highest they will ever get in the future is more or less where they are now - very very rare points scorers on days where others slip up. Marrusia are a great and very likeable team of people, but that's the ultimate truth and a pretty dull proposition. 

And for the record, I think the Haas venture is going to be a massive failure. I really don't think his history in NASCAR is going to be of much benefit in F1 quite frankly. In fact it even has the possibility to be a hindrance - if he arrives in F1 with the same viewpoints and philosophy that is shared in NASCAR he won't get very far. Wanting to base the team HQ in America already shows how little he knows about how the sport works as it is. 

Audi set for F1 in 2016?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/89171/audi-to-join-f1-in-2016#.VEp0L4_v-Wl.twitter

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, Audi would reportedly have to give up DTM and more importantly the WEC to apparently make this happen. But Volkswagon are apparently the ones calling the shots as Audi's parent brand. Makes sense to have a team representing their division in F1, and then leave the WEC to Porsche (of course also owned by Volkswagon).

VetteIfan said:
Audi set for F1 in 2016?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/89171/audi-to-join-f1-in-2016#.VEp0L4_v-Wl.twitter

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, Audi would reportedly have to give up DTM and more importantly the WEC to apparently make this happen. But Volkswagon are apparently the ones calling the shots as Audi's parent brand. Makes sense to have a team representing their division in F1, and then leave the WEC to Porsche (of course also owned by Volkswagon).
I'd really like this to happen as I've always loved Audi's (probably through Dad!), and if they make their own engines too, which I guess they probably will, then we'd have five engine manufacturers on the grid which is fantastic. I think it's really helped this year that Mercedes have won the championship. It shows that a car manufacturer can come into F1 and win, so that would be great to get some more manufacturers in.

The report says they might buy an existing team and work with what they have? Toro Rosso actually seems like quite a logical choice. Red Bull seem to have very close links to Audi through the DTM, and I guess Red Bull could still use Audi as a training ground for their younger drivers? 

• UP100 pinned this topic