Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I'd really like this to happen as I've always loved Audi's (probably through Dad!), and if they make their own engines too, which I guess they probably will, then we'd have five engine manufacturers on the grid which is fantastic. I think it's really helped this year that Mercedes have won the championship. It shows that a car manufacturer can come into F1 and win, so that would be great to get some more manufacturers in.

The report says they might buy an existing team and work with what they have? Toro Rosso actually seems like quite a logical choice. Red Bull seem to have very close links to Audi through the DTM, and I guess Red Bull could still use Audi as a training ground for their younger drivers? 
I swear you mention your Dad's love for Audi every time they are mentioned haha. Not a criticism, just an observation :P If they did happen to join though you'd have a bit of a conflict of interest as you're favourite driver will be driving for what would be Audi's arch rival team. 

But anyway, enough if's and but's for one day. There's a lot of presumptions in that report that need to be confirmed before I'll take it seriously tbh. Despite the fact Volkswagon are calling the shots in that operation, I can't see Audi moving on from WEC as easily and free willingly as is stated in that report. Not with the amount of success they've achieved in it. 
VetteIfan said:
I'd really like this to happen as I've always loved Audi's (probably through Dad!), and if they make their own engines too, which I guess they probably will, then we'd have five engine manufacturers on the grid which is fantastic. I think it's really helped this year that Mercedes have won the championship. It shows that a car manufacturer can come into F1 and win, so that would be great to get some more manufacturers in.

The report says they might buy an existing team and work with what they have? Toro Rosso actually seems like quite a logical choice. Red Bull seem to have very close links to Audi through the DTM, and I guess Red Bull could still use Audi as a training ground for their younger drivers? 
I swear you mention your Dad's love for Audi every time they are mentioned haha. Not a criticism, just an observation :P If they did happen to join though you'd have a bit of a conflict of interest as you're favourite driver will be driving for what would be Audi's arch rival team. 

But anyway, enough if's and but's for one day. There's a lot of presumptions in that report that need to be confirmed before I'll take it seriously tbh. Despite the fact Volkswagon are calling the shots in that operation, I can't see Audi moving on from WEC as easily and free willingly as is stated in that report. Not with the amount of success they've achieved in it. 
On reflection I think I do always mention him, haha :p But that's a real good point you've made there actually, but drivers change so often in F1 who knows where everyone will be come 2016/2017.

I get what you mean about finding it hard to see Audi moving on from WEC. As you say, they've dominated the sport for the last 13 years or so, and it would seem a bit silly to pull out whilst still having this success.
Jiggy said:
Isn't Sauber also in trouble? They might be next.
YeaH they are. It's odd how they've tested a lot of drivers this year really, and the last two they tested, Fong and Nissany, I've never ever heard of before and they are surely there just because they have the dosh. Sauber look like a sinking ship too.
It's time for CVC to sell up.

I have nothing against a company wanting to make money from its business - that is normal - but CVC are taking far too much money out of the sport (I'm sure I read ages ago that CVC take 70% of the revenue F1 makes - far too much). 

If the sport is to survive, either costs need to be brought down or the prize money needs to be seriously increased. If Bernie kept his stake and CVC dropped their takings, that'd free up millions (if not billions) to give to the teams.

Of  course Bernie is to blame partially as well. He takes too much himself (what the hell is up with his personal trust man, ha way!) and is determined that his way is right, despite the fans normally disagreeing with him (double points, 10 teams, Tilke tracks and so on).

His way of working out how the prize money is given out is wrong too. I think it should work like the EPL, all teams get a set amount and gain extra cash for improving. I came up with my own system a while ago whereby each team gets a standard payout of £54.6 million per year and earns and loses money on top of that depending on how they finish in the WCC. Teams also get £10 million for each decade they've spent in the sport. It's much fairer!

/rant

fIsince08 said:
It's time for CVC to sell up.

I have nothing against a company wanting to make money from its business - that is normal - but CVC are taking far too much money out of the sport (I'm sure I read ages ago that CVC take 70% of the revenue F1 makes - far too much). 

If the sport is to survive, either costs need to be brought down or the prize money needs to be seriously increased. If Bernie kept his stake and CVC dropped their takings, that'd free up millions (if not billions) to give to the teams.

Of  course Bernie is to blame partially as well. He takes too much himself (what the hell is up with his personal trust man, ha way!) and is determined that his way is right, despite the fans normally disagreeing with him (double points, 10 teams, Tilke tracks and so on).

His way of working out how the prize money is given out is wrong too. I think it should work like the EPL, all teams get a set amount and gain extra cash for improving. I came up with my own system a while ago whereby each team gets a standard payout of £54.6 million per year and earns and loses money on top of that depending on how they finish in the WCC. Teams also get £10 million for each decade they've spent in the sport. It's much fairer!

/rant

You're way off the mark with some of the figures here. CVC definitely don't take 70% of F1's profits. The figure that the teams get is somewhere in the 47-48% region, so by the process of simple math you can work out that figure for CVC is exaggerated. Also, F1 as a business currently makes a yearly revenue of around $1.5 billion, so CVC lowering their takings wouldn't save "billions". 

While your figures are off target though, I agree with what you're saying that many of the cost issues could be overcome with better distribution of profits. There's enough money, just not in the right places. 

Forget a cost cap though. Cost caps are too debatable and complicated to enforce, and while the strategy group is in effect it will never ever go through. Top teams are in it for themselves and while they run that little group with the FIA and FOM they're never willingly going to give up their financial advantage to the smaller teams. 
there is hope for Marrussia yet  though given there are interested parties looking at the possibility of buying the team according to Sky Sports News. Also assuming they hang onto 9th spot they get a bit of a payout too. Unfortunately we can't say the same for Caterham yet
  • UP100 pinned this topic