Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

So I've been plugging a few numbers based on a blog from Joe Saward, theses are the ESTIMATED values of prize money for each, 2013 & 2014.

All values in dollars

RBR:          2013: 200m, 2014: 167m
Merc:         2013: 105m, 2014: 154m
Ferrari:       2013: 185m, 2014: 185m
Lotus:         2013: 85m, 2014: 60m
McLaren     2013: 110m, 2014: 98m
Force India: 2013: 70m, 2014: 70m
Sauber:       2013: 65m, 2014: 50m
STR:          2013: 60m, 2014: 65m
Williams     2013: 55m, 2014: 95m
Marussia:   2013: 50m, 2014: 55m
Caterham:   2013: 10m, 2014: 10m

Total Prize Money/year: $1bn

A full breakdown of where all the money comes from will be posted later.

Appalling isn't it...

from what I can see it seems fair, if you finish the championship higher up you get more money, just like in other sports. with the exception of Ferrari who have always got a little bit more as they are the only team still in the championship since the beginning and are the best supported team in f1, bringing much needed revenue to the sport themselves
So you feel that Ferrari should earn x20 more money than Caterham? That Ferrari get paid $100m just for existing? (more on that later), that they get 10% of the TV right to themselves when whoever finishes 11th gets 1%?

A breakdown of the above figures:

Just short of 60% of FOM's TV rights gets paid out to the teams, it works out at ~$1bn (of ~$1.8bn), the prize money can be broken down to 4 catagories:

The first, worth $400m, is split evenly between the top 10 teams, getting $40m each. Any teams below that get no share of the prize money.

The 2nd also worth $400m is handed out based on finishing position, 1st to 11th, with the top teams getting ~$80m, the bottom ~$10m, based on a percentage. It's estimated to look a bit like this:
1st: $80m
2nd: $65m
3rd: $55m
4th: $45m
5th: $35m
6th: $30m
7th: $25m
8th: $20m
9th: $15m
10th, 11th & below: $10m

There is then a pot of ~$130m given out based on an accumulative performance over a period of 4- years, based on number of race wins, and given to the top 3 teams. For 2013 this looked like:
RBR: $80m
McLaren: $35m
Ferrari: $15m

This year (assuming Merc win the final 3 races)
RBR: $62m
Merc: $34m
McLaren: $23m

There is then further prize money awarded to Ferrari, simply because they pull Bernie's stings and the can't stay in FOTA for more than 3 weeks. This equates to ~5% of FOM's takings, $90m simply for being stroppy Italians...
Ferrari have a further clause which states if they drop out of the performance prize money, they get paid what they would have had they been in it, for this year, that works out at ~$10m further, for getting worse!

Still fair?
My final post on this matter is how I would set out the prize money:

First thing is that I would set it up for a 13 team grid, ie. the maximum, and raise the payout to ~$1.1bn (I'm still operating in dollars for comparison, but I'll brackets the £ figures, so ~£680m)

This is broken into 2 parts, the first, $650m (~£400m), is split evenly between 13 teams, $50m each (~£31m)

The remaining money is based on performance, a linear payout, in increments of $6m (~£3.75m), starting at 0 for 11th place, so (11-finishing position)x$6m, ie $60m (£37.5m) for 1st, $54m (£33.7m) for 2nd etc. totalling at just under $400m (~£250m). The remaining $50m of the money is paid out to the teams as a consistency bonus, split evenly between any teams who stay in position or move up the championship vs. the year before

If there aren't 13 teams, the money they would have earned is split evenly between the circuit to make upgrades to facilities or reduce debt etc.
This table shows the budget for each team per year and how much each team pays per point.

F1times
why only Mercedes/Ferrari pay for engines? they should be the 2 who don't pay for engines lol, too much estimation in that chart for my liking!
Surely it just means what Ferrari/Merc spent on developing/making them? As you are never going to get exact numbers its a pretty good rough idea of what teams are paying
So basically 3 rookies every year will get a chance in a Red Bull, a Mclaren and a Ferrari. Money shouldn't come in to it with those outfits, so the most talented individuals should get the chance. Sounds good. 

However with the 3rd car not scoring WCC points, whenever a 1st or 2nd car is behind a 3rd car it will just be team orders every time. Also this new system puts even more reliance on Red Bull in F1. If they just decide to drop out of the sport in a few years after this system is introduced, a quarter of the grid would effectively go with them. 
That seems weird situation for not scoring constructors points for the third car. But as you say, at least it's good we'll see rookies in those top teams every year, but I guess that means they'd have to then find themselves a permanent drive at that team for the next season because they can't stay there again as a rookie.
That seems weird situation for not scoring constructors points for the third car. But as you say, at least it's good we'll see rookies in those top teams every year, but I guess that means they'd have to then find themselves a permanent drive at that team for the next season because they can't stay there again as a rookie.
That's why I think it's a bad idea, it's all very well bringing in fresh talent but if they're without a drive for the next season what is the point?

If this does go ahead, I'd like to see a separate class for third cars like the BTCC Jack Sears Trophy.
Yeah true, but at the moment they can't even get their foot in the door for a seat. This system actually gives them a chance. It'll be quite a cut throat system, as they only get one year that may end up being make or break for their career - but at least it keeps a constant conveyor belt of young drivers coming through and getting their chance in the sport. 

As as long as it's not a guest driver in any of the third cars I like it tbh. 
  • Codemasters Staff
I expect any team with a 3rd car would be at a massive development advantage. Think of all that extra data. Think of all those risky experimental parts you could run not having to worry about losing constructors points if it explodes.

Then on top of that, you have an extra car running around the track that you can use to mess up all your rival's strategies? I can see why the big teams like this idea, especially if they aren't going to cost much extra.
  • UP100 pinned this topic