Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

fIsince08 said:

1. Hamilton - The fastest on the grid, but his racecraft isn't the best compared to others.
Seriously? His racecraft has been pretty damn good since the beginning of his career and it hasn't got much worse (apart from 2011) since then, quite the opposite.
  (look at Germany)
You mean when he finished 3rd after starting last?
And hit every second car he passed ...
IIRC he made about 20 overtakes and touched two cars, that's a grand total of 10%...

I take it Alonsos' victory in Valencia 2012 wasn't worth being mentioned as a great recovery drive because he banged wheels with Grosjean and one of the Force India's at the beginning of the race.
You didn't really think I meant half the cars did you ? It was an exaggeration. And when did I say it wasn't a great drive ? I was agreeing with you that his racecraft was good , but he was still prone to the odd mistake here and there. Prawn I didn't think Vettels Abu Dhabi drive was that good. And I don't think anyone on here did either.
It's more renowned for just the iconic-ness of the race I think, at such a crucial time in the title battle. It was the race where Alonso should've wiped out the gap, but through shear determination and a sprinkling of luck Vettel limited the damage despite a race full of issues. Well I say a race full, he made contact with one car and an advertising board. From lap 12 he was faultless. 
Platy said:
Tbf, Chilton/Ericsson/Suitl/Gutierrez/Perez/Kobayshi didn't get banned for life from racing at Monaco only for daddy to pay their way out of the ban.

Also, Perez nearly won at Malaysia a couple of years ago.
True, but as I have said I am talking purely about Maldonado's pace. I won't defend his race craft or stupidity because he doesn't deserve it, but people seem to think that it means he isn't quick. He did win GP2 after all.

Perez did nearly win but it was completely different conditions. Perez nearly won in a mixed conditions race, where his only competitor for victory at the end was Alonso in a slower car and he bottled it. Maldonado won in full dry conditions, against Alonso in a by then improved Ferrari (although still nothing spectacular) in front of Fernando's home support while his teammate didn't make it through Q1 and had a crash in the race which I still believe was his fault, not Schumacher's.
APR193 said:
Platy said:
Tbf, Chilton/Ericsson/Suitl/Gutierrez/Perez/Kobayshi didn't get banned for life from racing at Monaco only for daddy to pay their way out of the ban.

Also, Perez nearly won at Malaysia a couple of years ago.
True, but as I have said I am talking purely about Maldonado's pace. I won't defend his race craft or stupidity because he doesn't deserve it, but people seem to think that it means he isn't quick. He did win GP2 after all.

Perez did nearly win but it was completely different conditions. Perez nearly won in a mixed conditions race, where his only competitor for victory at the end was Alonso in a slower car and he bottled it. Maldonado won in full dry conditions, against Alonso in a by then improved Ferrari (although still nothing spectacular) in front of Fernando's home support while his teammate didn't make it through Q1 and had a crash in the race which I still believe was his fault, not Schumacher's.
I agree with you that he is one of the quickest on the grid. Top 5 in my opinion. But that doesn't make up for is utter stupidity , incredibly poor race craft and horrible attitude. 
fIsince08 said:
Schumacher's recovery costing over $180 000 per week :L

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/fears-grow-over-the-recovery-of-racing-champion-michael-schumacher/story-fnec578q-1227111918468
It's not like he can't afford it tbf...
He can afford $180,00 a week ? For a while , sure but it adds up very fast. That's around $9.5 million a year. 
fIsince08 said:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/fears-grow-over-the-recovery-of-racing-champion-michael-schumacher/story-fnec578q-1227111918468
He can afford $180,00 a week ? For a while , sure but it adds up very fast. That's around $9.5 million a year. 
Wasn't he on £16 million a year with Ferrari?
fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:

something like that I think
fIsince08 said:
fIsince08 said:

Don't forget that's just in medical care. His family have to live to. He won't exactly have the fortune he had before this awful mess. I don't really believe the article anyway. What in the name of God would cost $180,000 a week. It's not as if he's still in critical condition. 

doctors and nurses aint cheap especially if its privately funded, he has a team of around 20 people on call 24hours a day, then theres all the machines to feed him, make him breath as he still aint able to do that himself, they built a clinic next to his home that wont be cheap either.

it makes me wonder if its actually worth it to keep him in that state.

it sounds harsh but if it was me or you the machines would have been turned off months ago.

whilst I hope he does make a recovery deep down I think he's gone already :-(

doctors and nurses aint cheap especially if its privately funded, he has a team of around 20 people on call 24hours a day, then theres all the machines to feed him, make him breath as he still aint able to do that himself, they built a clinic next to his home that wont be cheap either.

it sounds harsh but if it was me or you the machines would have been turned off months ago.

He's been getting better throughout, so it's worth it.

there has been no official statement (dy a doctor) to say that, its all rumours. but there is an article with Dr Gary Hartstein you may want to read.

here is a quote,

“We are told, with what seems to be a bit of triumphal air, that Michael is no longer in a coma. This is not news. I cannot help but think this is highly cynical use of language, using the truth to convey an impression that is almost certainly false.”

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1586123/michael-schumacher-close-to-death-family-saying-long-goodbye-after-doctor-addresses-recovery-concern/#Yog25IGIgOx1ZXLT.99

That is also just his assessment though. The part about him being close to death is added by Inquisiter themselves. We get little information as it is, so at this point, you'd have to choose which info you decided to believe in. His son Mick said that the recovery progress is going extremely slow. We've heard signals that Schumacher could recover to a decent standard of life eventually. That's good. That's what I'm putting my money on personally.

My mate was in a coma for 3 months after being hit on the head by someone with a wine bottle (a full bottle) if it was empty it wouldn't have done much damage. Once he came out of the coma he couldn't talk,walk or do anything. After a year he learnt to walk again and to use his arms, but he still couldn't talk. Even today his speech is pretty bad, but you can understand him if you listen closely. It's been over 5 years now, apart from his speech he's pretty much back to his old self, so anything is possible ;)
From Autosport: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116664
the team could not secure the budget it needed to finish the campaign - so will forfeit the income.

So it's clear there was a clause before a team can claim prize money, and clearly, they haven't made a enough races, or Abu Double. Obviously, they would have needed the money within the next week to get there, and and negotiations have fallen through.

#RIPMarussiaF1

EDIT: Another interesting article, especially the bit on spending. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116518

Another thought or two on Marussia & Caterham; buyers can still come in a buy up what remains of the teams, ie. the base & buildings etc and enter for next year, whether it's cheaper than inheriting the full team & prize money is unlikely, but still a possibility that the grid will have >18 cars next year.
  • UP100 pinned this topic