Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Honestly, with the idea that Formula E is going to move away from a one make series in a couple of seasons time (next year, maybe?), and because it is cheap, accessible and relevant, I could well see it replacing F1 as the pinnacle of motosport because F1 (and some of the fans) wants to go back to using irrelevant & outdated tech, and are pricing themselves out of the sport in a push to win so they make a profit. Legitimately, FE is the next big thing...
You may well be right about FE replacing F1, but if it does I and I would feel many others wouldn't watch. Having names like Alonso Hamilton Vettel etc in FE wouldn't make me watch it, wouldn't even tempt me. I understand why FE is a good idea and all that but I just can't get excited about it, when Le Mans went hybrid I more or less stopped watching completely, F1 has been a struggle to get excited about this year. Ugly cars that sound awful (or don't sound at all in FE case) just doesn't make for good motorsport.
  • Codemasters Staff
Honestly, with the idea that Formula E is going to move away from a one make series in a couple of seasons time (next year, maybe?), and because it is cheap, accessible and relevant, I could well see it replacing F1 as the pinnacle of motosport because F1 (and some of the fans) wants to go back to using irrelevant & outdated tech, and are pricing themselves out of the sport in a push to win so they make a profit. Legitimately, FE is the next big thing...
Maybe, but it's not going to be the next big thing for a good twenty years or so. The technology is impressive but the cars aren't even at GP3 levels of performance yet - even in a best case scenario for the electric series, F1 isn't going to have to look over its shoulder at FE for a long long time.
I hate it. Even though some of the slower cars were at times slower than a GP2-car, I'd hate the idea of different classes driving around on the same track. Keep that stuff for endurance racing.

Meanwhile, more great news.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/11226082/FIA-President-Jean-Todt-under-fire-for-failure-to-ban-alcohol-sponsorship-in-Formula-One.html
Absolutely despise the ban on tobacco advertising and absolutely despite the same happening to alcohol advertising. If people want to get cancer and/or Maldonado their own liver, then let them, but banning all advertisements for it is just hypocritical if you're not going to make the whole thing illegal and they're never going to do that because the industry generates too much money.

I disagree with you on the advertising thing jiggy. Just because something is not illegal doesn't mean there shouldn't be restrictions in place on its promotion/availability.  Especially with the diverse age/religious range of viewers of F1. Although alcohol is slightly different to smoking in that it can have benefits and or nil long term affects. There's nothing good about smoking. Although it makes no sense to ban sponsorship until the majority of the viewing community feels it's necessary. Would be ridiculous to say no alco $ if the company can just pay for tv advertising during the race. 
I've never met or heard of anyone who's become obsessed with anything due to F1 sponsorship. Okay, a bit of a short sighted statement, but seriously how much difference does it actually make? Alcohol advertising is everywhere in our daily lives nowadays, and across many different sports. I hardly think Formula 1 is contributing to a new generation of chain smoking, raging alcoholics. 
I genuinely  believe its more of a result of  that F1 is just "sitting on the fence" a little bit, if they wanted to tell people that certain stuff is bad then they should put up slogans saying that certain stuff is bad, but no, what they are doing is just not promoting it, they are not saying its ok but they not saying its bad either. :)

F1 is politics, why upset one important person to please another? Better option is keep both sides there by not getting too involved and pick a side in the future if you need to, otherwise just keep them both happy and carry on moving as usual :) 
F1 at a young(er) age is something you're either interested in, or you're not. There's no point changing the show to try and suit it to people who aren't interested already, so in a way I agree with him.

But his comments about twitter and facebook are so poor. Twitter especially is by far the easiest and best way for fan and team/driver interaction, and is pretty much THE source for any kind of news nowadays. The way Bernie just writes it off because he is too "old fashioned" doesn't make it hard to realise why F1 in general is on a downward spiral at the moment. 
  • UP100 pinned this topic