Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

I've always disliked how much Hamilton goes on about how hard he's had to work to get into F1, we get the message Lewis.
Pretty sure Alonso & Vettel started with nothing, and i wouldn't be surprised if Hulkenburg, Grosjean and others didn't have a luxurious life.

Bit of a confusing theory there from Lewis. I personally don't really see how where they come from affects their personal hunger, but hey ho. 

These supposed "mind games" are a bit over exaggerated if you ask me. I think both of them are too intelligent and professional to let it affect them. 

Lukedfrt said:
I've always disliked how much Hamilton goes on about how hard he's had to work to get into F1, we get the message Lewis.
Pretty sure Alonso & Vettel started with nothing, and i wouldn't be surprised if Hulkenburg, Grosjean and others didn't have a luxurious life.
it's just playing mind games with Rosberg he knows Nico is his main threat for the title this year not Alonso or Vettel it's just his way of shooting one accros the bows just like a lot of Football managers do to each other even I do sometimes on my Football manager games

Lukedfrt said:
it's just playing mind games with Rosberg he knows Nico is his main threat for the title this year not Alonso or Vettel it's just his way of shooting one accros the bows just like a lot of Football managers do to each other even I do sometimes on my Football manager games
I don't just mean this though. He's banged on about his tough life throughout his career. 

Lukedfrt said:
Lukedfrt said:
I don't just mean this though. He's banged on about his tough life throughout his career. 
I don't see the problem with people who managed to come thus far despite a difficult childhood mentioning this every now and then. This usually offends those who didn't make anything out of their opportunities, even if they had more of them.

Lukedfrt said:
Lukedfrt said:
I don't see the problem with people who managed to come thus far despite a difficult childhood mentioning this every now and then. This usually offends those who didn't make anything out of their opportunities, even if they had more of them.
Hamilton mentions it so much more than anyone else though, as i've said Alonso and Vettel haven't had it easy but i can't really recall them going on about it every few weeks. Whereas Hamilton seems to revel in the whole he did everything the hard way story.

I'm reading his book My Story at the moment, and all it's all about how hard he's had it in life. It's like he thinks he's the only driver on the grid who's worked hard.

I generally don't hear Fernando or Seb talk about their childhood that much, so no surprise they don't mention that.

At the end of the day, this is a non-issue imo. Let him mention his difficulties every now and then and deal with it is all I can suggest.

I also refuse to believe he would publish a book only consisting of his difficulties in early life. Sounds like you're exaggerating a bit, but I stand corrected on that.

Anyway, I wonder if we would have these kind of debates if it was let's say Hülkenberg mentioning his difficulties compared to Perez' early years. Probably not.

Btw, did anyone mention Rosberg's arrogance after Malaysia and Bahrain in this forum, when he claimed he would win the next two races (and failed to do so)? No?

Did anyone mention Alonso being a whiny b*tch for asking Ferrari to worship him as much as other teams do a few days ago? No?

I wonder why that is.

But when Lewis says he is hungrier for success due to his early life it's worth being discussed.

I generally don't hear Fernando or Seb talk about their childhood that much, so no surprise they don't mention that.

At the end of the day, this is a non-issue imo. Let him mention his difficulties every now and then and deal with it is all I can suggest.

I also refuse to believe he would publish a book only consisting of his difficulties in early life. Sounds like you're exaggerating a bit, but I stand corrected on that.

Anyway, I wonder if we would have these kind of debates if it was let's say Hülkenberg mentioning his difficulties compared to Perez' early years. Probably not.

Btw, did anyone mention Rosberg's arrogance after Malaysia and Bahrain in this forum, when he claimed he would win the next two races (and failed to do so)? No?

Did anyone mention Alonso being a whiny b*tch for asking Ferrari to worship him as much as other teams do a few days ago? No?

I wonder why that is.

But when Lewis says he is hungrier for success due to his early life it's worth being discussed.
Perez is from Mexico. Hulkenberg can't exactly complain much , can he.

I wonder why that is.

You do realise Perez is being funded by Mexican oil tycoons ever since the start?

I wonder why that is.

You do realise Perez is being funded by Mexican oil tycoons ever since the start?
I know , I was only joking. (Although it was a bad one)

Lukedfrt said:
Growing up in Stevenage is hardly a "difficult childhood". 

VetteIfan said:
Lukedfrt said:
Growing up in Stevenage is hardly a "difficult childhood". 
When your dad works two jobs and you live on his sofa it is.

As if the location is the only ingredient for a difficult childhood...

But ok, maybe "difficult childhood" is too harsh. Let's just agree on Lewis reaching the Top under much more difficult circumstances than Mr. Rosberg jr.

Btw, same goes for Vettel, Alonso, Schumi, etc...

But ok, maybe "difficult childhood" is too harsh. Let's just agree on Lewis reaching the Top under much more difficult circumstances than Mr. Rosberg jr.

Lewis has had Mclaren's backing pretty much the whole way. Not exactly much harder than ''Mr.Rosberg Jr''

Either way, people are too keen to point fingers at Hamilton when he says something in a press conference that could be perceived to be wrong whereas when Rosberg says that he's faster than Hamilton no one finds anything arrogant about that.
That's because everyone assumes he has a good sense of humour.

Lewis has had Mclaren's backing pretty much the whole way. Not exactly much harder than ''Mr.Rosberg Jr''
McLaren backing = pay for Lewis to have the opportunity to take part in lower class formulas. Means he still needs to perform well to be promoted to the next level.

Rosberg Sr. backing = buy a Formula BMW team and make sure your son's gonna be their driver, regardless of how he performed in the lower classes

No doubt he's in F1 because of his talent, but a few doors on the way have been opened easier for him than for other drivers. Apart from that, Lewis didn't just get McLaren's backing because of being Lewis Hamilton, but because he won the british karting championship before that.

Nico Rosberg got his Formula BMW-seat because of being Keke's son. Just as an example.

McLaren backing = pay for Lewis to have the opportunity to take part in lower class formulas. Means he still needs to perform well to be promoted to the next level.

Rosberg Sr. backing = buy a Formula BMW team and make sure your son's gonna be their driver, regardless of how he performed in the lower classes

No doubt he's in F1 because of his talent, but a few doors on the way have been opened easier for him than for other drivers. Apart from that, Lewis didn't just get McLaren's backing because of being Lewis Hamilton, but because he won the british karting championship before that.

Nico Rosberg got his Formula BMW-seat because of being Keke's son. Just as an example.
Yes , but it get's to a stage where you can't afford to buy a whole team. Williams didn't sign him because of being Nico Rosberg... anyway , why are we even discussing this , there's way more interesting stuff to talk about.

Is JEV's time at Toro Rosso up? I know he's been unlucky this season, but Kvyatt does seem the better driver and that is sort of the point of Toro Rosso. Da Costa there next season and Vergne to Sauber?

I'd like to see Da Costa and Kvyat at STR next year. 

I'd really like to know if my Twitter name was one of the many used on Grosjeans helmet in Monaco 2014, there doesn't appear to be any good images...

fIsince08 said:
Is JEV's time at Toro Rosso up? I know he's been unlucky this season, but Kvyatt does seem the better driver and that is sort of the point of Toro Rosso. Da Costa there next season and Vergne to Sauber?
He seems like a very good driver, deserves to stay in F1 but Kvyatt is something else. 

fIsince08 said:
That's if Sauber even makes the grid next year.

Seriously, they're in the [watch your language please Mex - Lee]  at this juncture. Not only have they been passed by Marussia in the WCC, they're under threat from Caterham as well. Ericssons's 11th place equaled Sauber's best finish, so if they pick up another 12th place then Caterham will be ahead of Sauber on countback.

Given the team's financial state, this race has probably sealed their fate and signed their bankruptcy notice. Both Sutil and Gutierrez were in a position to score points and they screwed up big time.

I am worried for Sauber, great team and have given many good drivers their break into F1 such as Massa, Raikkonen, Heidfeld etc. 
Both drivers now behind Ericsson as well. What are the chances of Haas buying Sauber? Already has everything in place.

I really do hope Kvyat wins stuff, the Russian anthem is awesome. 

For next season, what are the chances of Hulkenberg to McLaren, Bianchi to Force India? 

AMS97KRR said:
I am worried for Sauber, great team and have given many good drivers their break into F1 such as Massa, Raikkonen, Heidfeld etc. 
Both drivers now behind Ericsson as well. What are the chances of Haas buying Sauber? Already has everything in place.

For next season, what are the chances of Hulkenberg to McLaren, Bianchi to Force India? 
Sure Haas ruled out buying a team a month or so ago. Think he's planning running the operation out of the US for whatever reason

Mexicola said:
fIsince08 said:
That's if Sauber even makes the grid next year.

Seriously, they're in the [watch your language please Mex - Lee]  at this juncture. Not only have they been passed by Marussia in the WCC, they're under threat from Caterham as well. Ericssons's 11th place equaled Sauber's best finish, so if they pick up another 12th place then Caterham will be ahead of Sauber on countback.

Given the team's financial state, this race has probably sealed their fate and signed their bankruptcy notice. Both Sutil and Gutierrez were in a position to score points and they screwed up big time.
would think they'll pick up points at some stage so I don't think they'll be behind Marrussia for long at least at the end of the season would expect they'll take their spot back ahead of them

AMS97KRR said: 
Very slim I would've thought. If Mclaren wanted to get the Incredible Hulk he would've signed last year. Mclaren have now promoted Magnussen and have Vandoorne waiting in the wings, and are also keeping their eye on Alonso. I think the most likely top team Hulk will end up in is Ferrari. 

In other news Tony Fernandes has reportedly put Caterham up for sale for £350 million. 

VetteIfan said:
AMS97KRR said: 
Very slim I would've thought. If Mclaren wanted to get the Incredible Hulk he would've signed last year. Mclaren have now promoted Magnussen and have Vandoorne waiting in the wings, and are also keeping their eye on Alonso. I think the most likely top team Hulk will end up in is Ferrari. 

In other news Tony Fernandes has reportedly put Caterham up for sale for £350 million. 
Looks like it true regarding Caterham, its on a few other sites aswell.

To be fair Caterham (or back then "Lotus") entered the sport under the assurance that costs would start coming down in F1. That hasn't happened, and in fact looks no closer to being accomplished than it did 5 years ago. 

If I was Fernandes I'd be pretty pissed though. All the money he has thrown at Caterham, and at QPR has yielded close to nothing except embarrassment. Okay, I know QPR got promoted back to the Premier League on Saturday, but they should've been winning the championship comfortably with the wonga available to them. Back to F1 though, I don't think it's much of a coincidence this news has come out less than a day after Marrusia have scored their first points. Especially considering Caterham came so close in the same race. Let's face it as well, leaving even Monaco aside, Marrusia have been ahead of Caterham for some time now. 

If that article from F1 times is accurate though, as harsh as it sounds to say they will be no loss if a manufacturer such as Honda or Ford comes and fills their spot (in terms of being good for F1). 

AMS97KRR said:

Sure Haas ruled out buying a team a month or so ago. Think he's planning running the operation out of the US for whatever reason

Haas is using his already existing facilities in the US, which makes sense because it'd probably be a pain in the ass moving everything to Europe.

• The topic was pinned