Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Platy said:
APR193 said:
To be fair, after reading the quotes he makes some very very good points
Really? I must have missed them, please point them out to me.
What's the need to appeal to young people any more than they do? He's completely 100% right about the rolex/sponsor stuff. The companies sponsoring want to make profit, if they don't make profit they don't sponsor anymore, companies not sponsoring means less money for the sport.

Having massively expensive watches and banks sponsoring F1 doesn't make sense if the audience is young and in 9/10 cases can't afford to buy the sponsors products. I don't think they need to do anymore on social media either. I stopped following all the F1 teams and almost all the drivers ages ago cause I couldn't stand all the constant Q&A's and other junk they spam on there.

He's also bang on about the small teams being like women with credit cars, and how no-one cared until they went bust in my opinion.

APR193 said:
Platy said:
APR193 said:
What's the need to appeal to young people any more than they do? He's completely 100% right about the rolex/sponsor stuff. The companies sponsoring want to make profit, if they don't make profit they don't sponsor anymore, companies not sponsoring means less money for the sport.

Having massively expensive watches and banks sponsoring F1 doesn't make sense if the audience is young and in 9/10 cases can't afford to buy the sponsors products. I don't think they need to do anymore on social media either. I stopped following all the F1 teams and almost all the drivers ages ago cause I couldn't stand all the constant Q&A's and other junk they spam on there.

He's also bang on about the small teams being like women with credit cars, and how no-one cared until they went bust in my opinion.

Why appeal to young people? Because they are the future of the sport? They are the people who are going to be watching it in 5, 10, 15, 20+ years. As usual, Bernie is focused on how he can make money from the sport and that is what's going to damage the sport. This is the big thing that he's forgotten, F1 is a sport as well as a brand. People tune in every week to watch the sport, they don't care about the sponsors. I doubt that the viewing figures would go down if all the cars were blank and the sport was exactly the same.

F1 needs to do a lot on social media, and on their media in general. They've only just started with HD recently, something that every other sport has been doing for years. They really need to improve their online product, Twitter/Facebook included. They honestly need to produce an online network of some sorts. Some way that fans can watch the archives, etc, for a monthly fee. It obviously would be killed off in the UK because Sky exists. 

The F1 brand could be so much more, there's 50+ years of the sport that people don't have easy access to. Bernie is just proving he has no clue and would rather satisfy the pockets of his old, rich friends than care about the sport that millions of people enjoy.

If you truly think that he makes a good point that F1 should aim at old rich people because of who sponsors it then I'm really surprised.
APR193 said:
Just reaf they're McLaren are considering an approach for Grosjean
I'd be amazed if Grosjean isn't staying with Lotus, even more so since he tweeted that he was staying with them then deleted it straight away
well it wsa on one of Autosport's pages so I don't know how erliable that is but I'd rather them stick with Button or Magnusson as Alonso's partner
Platy said:
APR193 said:
Platy said:
APR193 said:

Why appeal to young people? Because they are the future of the sport? They are the people who are going to be watching it in 5, 10, 15, 20+ years. As usual, Bernie is focused on how he can make money from the sport and that is what's going to damage the sport. This is the big thing that he's forgotten, F1 is a sport as well as a brand. People tune in every week to watch the sport, they don't care about the sponsors. I doubt that the viewing figures would go down if all the cars were blank and the sport was exactly the same.

F1 needs to do a lot on social media, and on their media in general. They've only just started with HD recently, something that every other sport has been doing for years. They really need to improve their online product, Twitter/Facebook included. They honestly need to produce an online network of some sorts. Some way that fans can watch the archives, etc, for a monthly fee. It obviously would be killed off in the UK because Sky exists. 

The F1 brand could be so much more, there's 50+ years of the sport that people don't have easy access to. Bernie is just proving he has no clue and would rather satisfy the pockets of his old, rich friends than care about the sport that millions of people enjoy.

If you truly think that he makes a good point that F1 should aim at old rich people because of who sponsors it then I'm really surprised.
I think Bernie's forgetting the part where they grow up. ;)
Platy said:
APR193 said:
Platy said:
APR193 said:

Surely the best way to appeal to young people, or anyone for that matter, is by making sure the sport is exciting. Just because F1 has a twitter page or has some subscription riddled video service doesn't mean people are going to watch, it will make no difference whatsoever. People aren't going to pay unless they like the sport. You can't charge people to get them interested in the sport, it works the other way around. What could they do with a twitter account that would make people watch the sport. People aren't going to see a tweet from an official account saying the next race is in x days and then say yeah I'll tune in. If they were going to tune in they wouldn't need a twitter account to tell them what weekend the race is on.

I really don't get how having an account on a/b/c website is going to make people suddenly watch. An exciting sport on the other hand, I can see how that matters. If the action on track is awful people aren't going to not tune in because F1 hasn't got an enormous social media presence, they're not going to tune in because the racing is crap. And the other way around, if the racing is great people are going to say "but they don't have a twitter" and then not watch. It really makes no difference at all. Just like the fact they have "only just started with HD recently" doesn't matter. Who cares? Are they going to watch a sport that is exciting or a sport that is boring just because it has HD.

Exciting sport is what will bring in young fans, social media will not.
I agree with you that an exciting sport is what will bring in young fans. But why is having an exciting sport mutually exclusive? You can aim for making the sport exciting whilst doing more to please the current fans that are watching.

Making the things I suggest above will please current fans, who will be able to bring more fans in. Social media is just a small part of that, Bernie completely dismissing that shows how clueless he is on the current generation.

You're speaking like you think social media, etc will bring in new fans. It won't bring in many, but it'll keep the current fans wanting to watch. Having F1 in HD will keep fans who have to pay however much per month to Sky to watch it.

I think you may have mistaken what Bernie and I had said as ways to attract new fans rather than in the context of keeping the younger fans interested in the sport.
With regards to advertising, it definitely has some affect, literally earlier this week I went to the shops to get random uni supplies, deodorant being one of those things, I look at the shelf and just grabbed one. Wasn't until I'd got home I realised I'd picked up a can of Sure with the Lotus F1 branding on it.

Also I bank with Santander...

How long before I'm drinking Martinis?
Birds custard haha

I remember I used to go in Vodafone stores when I was tiny as they sponsored Ferrari and they often had something in there to do with Ferrari. Bernie needs to gtfo with his opinions on social media. Even if he says he doesn't want it, what is the harm in using it?! Stupid old git.
  • Codemasters Staff
Audi rumours pop up about once a month, I imagine at this point they have a full time PR guy dedicated entirely to denying them!

I would quite like to see Audi in F1 - I'm a fan of theirs in the WEC - but I don't believe it'll happen particularly soon.
  • UP100 pinned this topic