Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I can't believe this...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2014/12/11/ecclestone-says-f1-governors-handed-power-to-top-teams-for-40-million/

The FIA sold the strategy group the rule making rights, whilst Bernie is proposing a return to the V8s AGAIN!

VetteIfan said:
fIsince08 said:

Aye, Ok Bernie, let's go back to prehistoric engines that aren't even fuel injected when we've created a technology that is the future. No bloody thank you!

Aren't even fuel injected? Pretty sure the V8's didn't run carburetors.... port injection is still a type of fuel injection y'know. 

Sorry, I meant direct injection.

Verstappen and Sainz are using numbers 33 and 55 next season.

I don't care about new technology, it's not as if I as a fan feel good about more fuel efficiency or anything like that.

I felt good about the sound of real monsters. Back in the days my not so F1 interested-friends were blown away by the sound of the cars. Today I'd feel ashamed if they saw the look of the cars and listened to their sound.

If I was to say I'd be happier with the current engines than with the v8's or v10's I'd be lying. When I think of the sound of F1 I immediately think of the v10's , then the v8's. I can barely remember what the current v6's sound like just a month or so after the last round. Plus he's only saying he wants to go back to a v8. Not necessarily the same v8's. F1 has never been about innovation for road cars. The only reason I see for the current engines is to attract large manufacturers like VW to F1.
If I was to say I'd be happier with the current engines than with the v8's or v10's I'd be lying. When I think of the sound of F1 I immediately think of the v10's , then the v8's. I can barely remember what the current v6's sound like just a month or so after the last round. Plus he's only saying he wants to go back to a v8. Not necessarily the same v8's. F1 has never been about innovation for road cars. The only reason I see for the current engines is to attract large manufacturers like VW to F1.

He did say the same V8s.

There's no point having big screaming engines if there are no manufacturers to make them. Times change and it's pointless living in the past.

It's not as if manufacturers and F1 can't live without one another.

The best times in F1 have been without any manufacturers at all or at least with only 1 or 2.

Manufacturers are partly to blame for the current situation and the fact that it's so hard to make proper changes to the sport.
It's not as if manufacturers and F1 can't live without one another.

The best times in F1 have been without any manufacturers at all or at least with only 1 or 2.

Manufacturers are partly to blame for the current situation and the fact that it's so hard to make proper changes to the sport.
I'm on about engine manufacturers though. Renault and Mercedes have already said they'll pull out if the V6s aren't kept, Honda probably will as well. There's no way only 1 engine supplier can keep up that much demand. I do agree with the last part of your statement though.
So basically all the complaints about the v6 engines is they don't sounds as cool as the v8, 10, or 12s? That's kinda silly. F1 isn't about the sounds, it's about the tech... The sound was just a side effect of the then current tech. The current tech now just happens to be quieter, get over it. Going back to old engines is a stupid idea. 

Everyone keeps pushing for F1 to be more modern, they complain about Bernie being out of touch and too old... Yet they want old engines because they sound better? That's backwards. 
So basically all the complaints about the v6 engines is they don't sounds as cool as the v8, 10, or 12s? That's kinda silly. F1 isn't about the sounds, it's about the tech... The sound was just a side effect of the then current tech. The current tech now just happens to be quieter, get over it. Going back to old engines is a stupid idea. 

Everyone keeps pushing for F1 to be more modern, they complain about Bernie being out of touch and too old... Yet they want old engines because they sound better? That's backwards. 
Saying F1 is about the tech is a very narrow way of looking at it. It may be about the tech for you but it's not for me. It's about wheel to wheel racing in the fastest , loudest cars in the world which look awesome. Not about a car that sounds like a hoover and looks like a mans genitals. 

Saying F1 is about the tech is a very narrow way of looking at it. It may be about the tech for you but it's not for me. It's about wheel to wheel racing in the fastest , loudest cars in the world which look awesome. Not about a car that sounds like a hoover and looks like a mans genitals. 

These cars are faster and much more raceable though... The genitals problem has been addressed too.
I agree with Dan. I too feel like I've tried my best to love them, but it's difficult. Noise is a fundamental part of motor racing. When there's none of it, I can understand why some fans might turn off. The expenditure for them has driven at least two teams off the grid. I also don't think the racing is really considerably better this year than past years. Plus even if you think it is, do you really think it's directly as a result of the new rules. If you think back to some of the best races this year - Canada, Hockenheim, Hungary for example - a lot of them had cars out of position coming through the fields or big abnormalities occurring with some of the front runners. So these would've been exciting races in any season. 

Plus, even coming from the non executive chairman of Mercedes (Niki), the cars are too tame now. When a 17 year old can jump in one at two different race weekends and be on the pace almost immediately, that's evidence enough. When Seb Vettel recalled about his first time in a V10 Williams in 2005, he said he got out and was completely broken and lost from driving it. In the words of Mr Newey, I think a lot of the appeal of F1 for a fan is to be able to sit down on a Sunday afternoon and think the drivers are super heroes being able to drive F1 cars. This generation of cars don't do that. 

I understand the manufacturers requirements about leaving etc, so the engines will be in F1 for many years to come whether we like it or not. But after a season of viewing these engines, put me down in the "dinosaur era" category. 
To each his own. I think looking at F1 for only the sounds is even more narrow than looking at it for the tech. Yes for me it's all about the tech and the racing. And currently we have pretty good racing and fast cars. The reason why 2014 is only marginally slower than 2013 isn't due to the engine at all. I has to do with the aero and fuel restrictions. (which I think are stupid).
To each his own. I think looking at F1 for only the sounds is even more narrow than looking at it for the tech. Yes for me it's all about the tech and the racing. And currently we have pretty good racing and fast cars. The reason why 2014 is only marginally slower than 2013 isn't due to the engine at all. I has to do with the aero and fuel restrictions. (which I think are stupid).
The aero restrictions are what makes the racing better :p 
fIsince08 said:
The aero restrictions are what makes the racing better :p 
But not the lap times  :p
  • UP100 pinned this topic