Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I can live with 10 proper and well prepared overtakes per race. Don't need 80 artificial, DRS-assisted ones.

But I understand those who want more. Even though I never understood how one car passing another like taking candy from a baby is more exciting than 2 or more drivers stalking each other for a few laps before finally going for that risky move which might or might not work out.

Maybe it's because I was used to that from the late 90's onwards.
To each his own. I think looking at F1 for only the sounds is even more narrow than looking at it for the tech. Yes for me it's all about the tech and the racing. And currently we have pretty good racing and fast cars. The reason why 2014 is only marginally slower than 2013 isn't due to the engine at all. I has to do with the aero and fuel restrictions. (which I think are stupid).
But can you tell me what these engines have done except push 2 teams out of the sport and remove the noise ? F1 isn't even the most technologically advanced form of motorsport. The WEC is doing a better job at that.
To each his own. I think looking at F1 for only the sounds is even more narrow than looking at it for the tech. Yes for me it's all about the tech and the racing. And currently we have pretty good racing and fast cars. The reason why 2014 is only marginally slower than 2013 isn't due to the engine at all. I has to do with the aero and fuel restrictions. (which I think are stupid).
But can you tell me what these engines have done except push 2 teams out of the sport and remove the noise ? F1 isn't even the most technologically advanced form of motorsport. The WEC is doing a better job at that.

I'd argue it's Ecclestone's money distribution that's the problem, not the engines tbh. And most of WEC's tech came from F1. Williams sold their flywheel KERS to Porsche.
Definitely not just the engines that pushed two teams out. Money distribution and poor funding to begin with had a lot more to do with them folding than the engines.

And yeah WEC are doing a much better job at it than F1... but they certainly aren't reverting back to old engines. This year WEC has been just as, if not more, interesting than F1 and I expect that to continue if F1 doesn't do something. But that something isn't going back to an outdated formula. 
I do love the sound of the V8's but during the race at Silverstone this year I didn't stand there thinking about sound to be honest. I'd rather have Mercedes, Renault and Honda in the sport than V8's back really. In some ways it was quite nice to hear the crowd during the races due to lower engine noise.
You know a BBC ID is free right? :p Takes like a minute to make one. Too late now anyway, voting has closed, and because no one cares abour F1 he probably won't win :(
Yeah but, I can't be bothered to do most things aha :p I really hope he wins, about time we had an F1 winner again! He deserves it in my opinion, obviously!
You know a BBC ID is free right? :p Takes like a minute to make one. Too late now anyway, voting has closed, and because no one cares abour F1 he probably won't win :(
Yeah but, I can't be bothered to do most things aha :p I really hope he wins, about time we had an F1 winner again! He deserves it in my opinion, obviously!
Oh yea for sure he does, but the average person in the UK thinks F1 is stupid, or boring. The amount of times I've tried to talk to people about F1 and for them to say something along the lines of "But they just go around in circles" is annoying. 

Like my mum was over earlier while I was watching Race of Champions, and she said "Can we watch something else? This is really boring." To which I replied "Yea well I find Strictly Come Dancing, The Apprentice, and X-Factor boring but I don't complain when I'm at yours and you're bloody watching them" :p And that's why Hamilton won't win.
  • UP100 pinned this topic