Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

The Tweets I'm seeing are that the best car won SPOTY, and that Rory McIlroy deserved it more...
Seems they forget the challenge Rosberg put up, and the fact that with 7 races remaining out of 19, Hamilton was 29 points behind and had to fight to win it in the end. 

As for McIlroy, yes it takes skill to hit a small ball with a stick, and yes you have to be pretty smart to get it in the hole a few times a year. Though the worst conditions he'll face is a bit of rain while he stands under his umbrella. Plus there's the fact that golf can't be too taxing on the body when golfers can still be competitive into their 50's and 60's and get driven around in golf carts that do 20mph.

That's a little different to 200mph. The current average retirement age in F1 is mid to late 30's because of the stress the forces of the car have on the drivers body, despite how intense the training is they do. Then there's the fact that they're in that car for roughly 6 and a half hours, 19 times a year (123.5 hours) over 9 months, and that's not including any testing or promo runs. And I think I can point to the Japanese Grand Prix and say a golfer doesn't have to face those kind of conditions, and doesn't have to face the possible consequences that getting it wrong in a Formula 1 car has.

I know the BBC award is about personality, but saying McIlroy deserves more recognition than Hamilton is just plain BS in my opinion. Thinking about it, golfers are lazy and I'm not sure how they're even called sportsmen compared to an F1 driver. Would you call a chess player a sportsman? Because that's what I'd compare golf to.
The Tweets I'm seeing are that the best car won SPOTY, and that Rory McIlroy deserved it more...
Seems they forget the challenge Rosberg put up, and the fact that with 7 races remaining out of 19, Hamilton was 29 points behind and had to fight to win it in the end. 

As for McIlroy, yes it takes skill to hit a small ball with a stick, and yes you have to be pretty smart to get it in the hole a few times a year. Though the worst conditions he'll face is a bit of rain while he stands under his umbrella. Plus there's the fact that golf can't be too taxing on the body when golfers can still be competitive into their 50's and 60's and get driven around in golf carts that do 20mph.

That's a little different to 200mph. The current average retirement age in F1 is mid to late 30's because of the stress the forces of the car have on the drivers body, despite how intense the training is they do. Then there's the fact that they're in that car for roughly 6 and a half hours, 19 times a year (123.5 hours) over 9 months, and that's not including any testing or promo runs. And I think I can point to the Japanese Grand Prix and say a golfer doesn't have to face those kind of conditions, and doesn't have to face the possible consequences that getting it wrong in a Formula 1 car has.

I know the BBC award is about personality, but saying McIlroy deserves more recognition than Hamilton is just plain BS in my opinion. Thinking about it, golfers are lazy and I'm not sure how they're even called sportsmen compared to an F1 driver. Would you call a chess player a sportsman? Because that's what I'd compare golf to.
While this seems harsh, its true. 
  • Codemasters Staff

If it were called 'Sports Achiever Of The Year' I'd agree. But if it's about 'personality' then I don't think any of this really applies.

It's all done via public vote though isn't it? I guess the two are hard to distinguish when it's all just a simple popularity contest. In that context it's heartening to see how many people will still vote for F1 drivers!
@Britpoint Nah, I do agree with your first point, but my post was mainly directed at people on Twitter saying Hamilton didn't deserve it because F1 isn't a 'real sport' and golf is :p 

in my view F1 is moer of a sport than Golf is as most of the time in golf al your doing is chasing a bal around a course till it goes in a damned hole. I enjoy playing golf on computer now and then but in reality I think based on physical and mental stress F1 is much tougher. Also the popularity of F1 is much higher than golf as I read once that F1 is the 3rd most popular sport in the world after the Olympics and Football (Soccer to any Americans that maybe wondering what I'm talking about.)
Liam12d said:
Is it just me who doesn't get the crap about Lewis not having a personality? 
The two speeches/interviews he gave were great, didn't show anything that pointed towards a lack of personality imo.  
I'm not a fan of his but I've never understood what it is that people seem to passionately hate about him
They don't even chase the ball Sharpie, they get sedately driven to it :p 

I've no idea how either sport ranks in popularity, but, and I'm risking offending any golfists we may have here, it's simply a much more sleep inducing and boring sport than F1 in my opinion.

they still have to go after it though that's what I meant and just keep hitting it till they get it in the damn hole.

Even Joey Barton's criticised whether Lewis is even eligible for it. I'd say he's deserving of it though he's worked hard to put himself in the position he's in. Not many Brit's can claim to be a double world champion Lewis can.

Some crap footballer for a terrible team has called Hamilton a tax exile and says he should be banned, yet forgets to mention Gareth Bale was nominated too.

And then someone said this to him...
https://twitter.com/nellyweather/status/544419349239717888
I don't knock any sport, because I know different people enjoy them to the same levels we enjoy F1. Having said this, when you compare all the sports, 3 main things stick out. How much talent you need to be good at it, the level of fitness required and how much effort you need to invest when playing/competing. 

Comparing F1 to golf in these regards blows golfing out the water. Golf at the end of the day isn't anywhere as challenging as F1 or most sports, its a game about technique and precision rather than physicality. Although if Rory would have won he would have deserved it, he took on everyone in his field and beat them incredibly.    
fIsince08 said:
Some crap footballer for a terrible team has called Hamilton a tax exile and says he should be banned, yet forgets to mention Gareth Bale was nominated too.

Joey Barton is hardly qualified to say what makes a sports personality anyway. He's just a moron that aches for attention.
fIsince08 said:

Joey Barton is hardly qualified to say what makes a sports personality anyway. He's just a moron that aches for attention.
Couldn't agree more, the man is a halfwit oaf.
I quite enjoyed seeing F1-fans unite against attacks on Hamilton's and/or the sport's credibility regardless on whether they like Hamilton or not over these last few days.

I wasn't even aware of this idea that autosport is an easy thing to do, but I guess the general public is even more stupid than I thought was possible. People should remember that the next time they think they're Schumacher on a public road and end up hitting a random object, or even worse, a person. But looking at how angry people are getting at Hamilton's victory, that just brings a smile to my face.
APR193 said:
Liam12d said:
Is it just me who doesn't get the crap about Lewis not having a personality? 
The two speeches/interviews he gave were great, didn't show anything that pointed towards a lack of personality imo.  
I'm not a fan of his but I've never understood what it is that people seem to passionately hate about him
80% of my dislike for him now mainly lies with his fans. He does encourage them by using several of the gayest hashtags on twitter, however it's not completely in his control, so I try to put that factor to one side. 

The other 20% is mainly because of the showbiz lifestyle factor. It's his life to live of course, but I like to support someone who I can relate to. Sometimes it just seems like he cares more about being a celebrity than a driver. And while this hasn't affected his driving, it's just a mentality that you see everywhere in him which I can't bring myself to love, from being the happy go lucky kid we saw in 2007. 

Credit where it's due though. The petulant outbursts are getting ever rarer, and since he moved to Mercedes he's seemingly much more humbled and grown up than he was in the Mclaren days on the race scene. There's the odd dumb comment here and there still, but I think with someone with the "heart on the sleeve" attitude of Lewis they're always going to exist. That attitude being one of the things I do admire about him. 
  • UP100 pinned this topic