Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

I agree, his fans are some of the most stupid. Although tbh I've never been on a German or Spanish forum so I can't really compare it with Vettel or Alonso fans. 
The thing that bothers me too is his celebrity appearance. He isn't like Vettel or Alonso in that regard. He always wears sunglasses, he is a wannabe American, he takes his dog to race weekends, he wears a snapback for his official hat, he always wears gangster stuff.

I feel like if testing was open at all times, Vettel and Alonso would be out on track (Like Schumacher) a lot and Hamilton would do a few laps, then change into some swag and go hang out with his celebrity friends for the rest of the day. 
AMS97KRR said:
I agree, his fans are some of the most stupid. Although tbh I've never been on a German or Spanish forum so I can't really compare it with Vettel or Alonso fans. 
The thing that bothers me too is his celebrity appearance. He isn't like Vettel or Alonso in that regard. He always wears sunglasses, he is a wannabe American, he takes his dog to race weekends, he wears a snapback for his official hat, he always wears gangster stuff.

I feel like if testing was open at all times, Vettel and Alonso would be out on track (Like Schumacher) a lot and Hamilton would do a few laps, then change into some swag and go hang out with his celebrity friends for the rest of the day. 
Tbf Hamilton's fashion style is terrible...
Liam12d said:
I don't knock any sport, because I know different people enjoy them to the same levels we enjoy F1. Having said this, when you compare all the sports, 3 main things stick out. How much talent you need to be good at it, the level of fitness required and how much effort you need to invest when playing/competing. 

Comparing F1 to golf in these regards blows golfing out the water. Golf at the end of the day isn't anywhere as challenging as F1 or most sports, its a game about technique and precision rather than physicality. Although if Rory would have won he would have deserved it, he took on everyone in his field and beat them incredibly.    
I'm guessing you don't play golf?

Out of the 3 things that stick out for you, I'd agree that F1 blows golf out of the water in terms of the level of fitness required. But to be the best in the world at anything you need a hell of a lot of talent and you need to invest a hell of a lot of effort.

Its quite funny to see the irony in this thread of everyone dismissing golf in the same way golf fans are dismissing F1. The world is funny sometimes.
Platy said:
Liam12d said:
I don't knock any sport, because I know different people enjoy them to the same levels we enjoy F1. Having said this, when you compare all the sports, 3 main things stick out. How much talent you need to be good at it, the level of fitness required and how much effort you need to invest when playing/competing. 

Comparing F1 to golf in these regards blows golfing out the water. Golf at the end of the day isn't anywhere as challenging as F1 or most sports, its a game about technique and precision rather than physicality. Although if Rory would have won he would have deserved it, he took on everyone in his field and beat them incredibly.    

Out of the 3 things that stick out for you, I'd agree that F1 blows golf out of the water in terms of the level of fitness required. But to be the best in the world at anything you need a hell of a lot of talent and you need to invest a hell of a lot of effort.

Its quite funny to see the irony in this thread of everyone dismissing golf in the same way golf fans are dismissing F1. The world is funny sometimes.
Golf started it :p 
I think we should blame Nicole for Hamiltons 'fashion sense' these days :p 

When he's at a race weekend or on track in the team kit or overalls I'm a big fan. But outside of that, all the stupid articles about how he's dodging tax, or buying bling, none of them pique my interest in the slightest. I'm a fan of what he does on a race weekend, not what he wears on his day off.

When he's at a race weekend or on track in the team kit or overalls I'm a big fan. But outside of that, all the stupid articles about how he's dodging tax, or buying bling, none of them pique my interest in the slightest. I'm a fan of what he does on a race weekend, not what he wears on his day off.
This. All the tax dodging claims are haters, many people choose to live outside of the UK. Haters are so extreme, I read an article after he won at Silverstone blasting him for shouting England over the radio.
His snapbacks are amazing though.

The thing with Hamilton is that he expresses himself in such a bashful manner that it easily appears like he's showing off with it and nobody likes a showoff. A lot of his personality traits and antics can be compared with Kimi Raikkönen, who wore the flatcap snapbacks before anyone else and was notorious for his playboy lifestyle. The difference is that Kimi involves absolutely nobody except for the people around him with it. Hamilton seems to be in need of an audience at all times. Like he's The Rock 24/7 and his behaviour seems to be designed to generate attention, which makes sense looking at how active Hamilton is on social media and stuff.

In a way, I feel he is like the embodiment of the modern day social man, acting like a live museum, with their life as an exhibition, sharing as much as possible with as many people as possible. Which would be nothing out of the ordinary in a place like America, but in Europe, it can be seen as a bit too much. I also suspect that, as a McLaren-junior, his life was really led by them from a young age, thus meaning he only started to "act out" at a relatively late age, when their relationship already started breaking down in F1.

I ended up doing some half-assed amateur psychology here ffs....

Yet you hate hate Vettel's off track personality ? 

Platy said:
Liam12d said:

I don't think that was the point people are making though . We all recognise it takes immense effort to get to the top of any sport. What we're getting at is the fact that golfers are saying F1 isn't a sport , yet golfing is much less physically demanding than F1.

Platy said:
Liam12d said:

I don't think that was the point people are making though . We all recognise it takes immense effort to get to the top of any sport. What we're getting at is the fact that golfers are saying F1 isn't a sport , yet golfing is much less physically demanding than F1.
Actually, no :p I've said I like Vettel, and how he comes across as someone really likeable and funny to around when he's away from a racetrack, but dislike how his personality switches on a race weekend. I've actually posted that here a couple of times before ;)

Platy said:
Liam12d said:

Actually, no :p I've said I like Vettel, and how he comes across as someone really likeable and funny to around when he's away from a racetrack, but dislike how his personality switches on a race weekend. I've actually posted that here a couple of times before ;)
That makes no sense. How can you dislike Vettel for being more focused and determined on a race weekend when there's so much more pressure on compared to any other day? I'm pretty sure every F1 drivers personality changes on a race weekend compared other days. 
I dislike him on a race weekend because he turns into a brat when something doesn't work in his favour :p Yes all drivers do change personality over a race weekend, but screaming "Do something!" at his team after being overtaken by a Caterham just rubs me the wrong way. Then of course we have Malaysia 2013...
I dislike him on a race weekend because he turns into a brat when something doesn't work in his favour :p Yes all drivers do change personality over a race weekend, but screaming "Do something!" at his team after being overtaken by a Caterham just rubs me the wrong way. Then of course we have Malaysia 2013...
Lewis does that as well. As does Alonso , you're just not looking for it.
I don't recall hearing Hamilton or Alonso screaming at the team when they're overtaken by one of the slowest cars on the grid. Probably because they haven't been overtaken by a Caterham ;)
I don't recall hearing Hamilton or Alonso screaming at the team when they're overtaken by one of the slowest cars on the grid. Probably because they haven't been overtaken by a Caterham ;)
Stevens.
  • UP100 pinned this topic