Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

Am I the only one who thinks they are terrible? The noses are awful, the shark fins are just as disgusting as they are on the LMP cars and then other than the rear wing and fatter tyres they look the same as they have done for the last 4/5 years. There was far too much talk of drastically different cars before the reveals. Shame as the livery on the Sauber and Renault are quite nice. And how Williams can consistently make such boring looking cars out of Martini sponsorship is beyond me.

And it's part of the reason I hated that generation of cars, it's horrid. It's like the designers got drunk halfway through, so just drew a straight line.... It just looks so out of place compared to the front of the car, obviously you guys prefer modern cars with bits hanging off of them,  rather than clean sleek looking cars. 

My mate thinks it's an unpopular opinion to like them, so obviously it's not widely loved like it seems to be on here. 

https://twitter.com/AlexCoatesy/status/834105243545767937

Hughesy said:
And it's part of the reason I hated that generation of cars, it's horrid. It's like the designers got drunk halfway through, so just drew a straight line.... It just looks so out of place compared to the front of the car, obviously you guys prefer modern cars with bits hanging off of them,  rather than clean sleek looking cars. 
The trouble with clean sleek looking cars is they don't always look fast *swishy fast italics*

That was one of my fav things about the 06-08 cars, they genuinely looked fast even when they were standing still :p And so far both of the 2017 cars we've seen have brought back that feeling again for me.

The shark fins are like the stripes on the F of the F1 logo, they make them look quicker. Personally I think that it's a great, aggressive design trait. I've just done a tech article for Read Motorsport and described them as marmite though :p 

Thank you, Mercedes.
They always had the best looking noses since the 2014 shake up. (Which in a way is surprising, 'cos they're noses before that were horrid IMO.) Too bad their livery always fell a bit short. It wasn't ugly, but always a tad boring.

Now I'm just hoping Ferrari nailed it this year. The last properly good looking car from the Scuderia was their 2008 challenger.

Hughesy said:
No way that's real, but if there's small chance it is then its awesome. They are using a Orange logo for their young driver programme, but that could just be trolling. 

It hasn't got the 2017 spec front or rear wing, so it's obviously not real. 
Well rumour is the livery is gonna be mostly orange and white, and I'm hoping that's true! Only 2 days to find out though :)

Really looking forward to the Merc tomorrow now though after how poop to FI was.

Hughesy said:
Well at least Hamilton has a nice helmet design
https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/834418726283902976

Shame he chose one so similar to his normal design.

There's a bunch here that look way way nicer than the one he went for. http://media.f1i.com/seasons/19359-quelle-decoration-pour-le-casque-de-hamilton-cette-annee.html

I don't think it matters what any of them look like,  every single one are ruined by the stupid shark fins. It's the kind of ridiculous thing boy racers would stick on their cars... Or it makes an F1 car look like an estate car rather than a compact single seater. 

Silverstone in the wet, this is what the cars will look like 

Hughesy said:
Well at least Hamilton has a nice helmet design
https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/834418726283902976

Really? I think it's a bit of a mess tbh, way too much going on. Shame, because I saw a lot of really awesome designs from his competition which he could've chosen from. 

So far the Sauber is easily the best looking car for me. Really dig the blue and gold combo. 

Tbf to Seb, Vettel's helmet looks a lot better than this colorful mess Lewis has chosen. I much prefer his 2016 helmet, but nothing beats his early McLaren helmets. Simple yet easily recognizable. The new one looks like a mental patient was given the chance to design a helmet.

• The topic was pinned