Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

No they don't they can just pull up and drive away, because I think Alonso did that in Bahrain in 2013, when he came in the second time.
That's what I'm not sure on. I know when Michael had it at Canada in 2012 they didn't, but I'm almost certain they changed Alonso's tyres both times.

Pre season test schedule, a lot later than normal and it's all in Spain.

fIsince08 said:
No they don't they can just pull up and drive away, because I think Alonso did that in Bahrain in 2013, when he came in the second time.
That's what I'm not sure on. I know when Michael had it at Canada in 2012 they didn't, but I'm almost certain they changed Alonso's tyres both times.

I suppose starting later means there is a smaller gap between the last test and the first GP
Juice29 said:
fIsince08 said:

I suppose starting later means there is a smaller gap between the last test and the first GP

fIsince08 said:

Pre season test schedule, a lot later than normal and it's all in 
Actually , no.  It ends 1 day earlier than last year.
Well, done a little bit of a search around and it seems, although the article is correct, it's somewhat worded to make it seem Honda will be at a heavy disadvantage. This season; Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari are able to develop 48% of their unit (32 tokens) and that would had to have been done by February 28th. The loophole only means that instead of hitting the 48% limit by February, they have all season. But it doesn't mean they can develop any more than they already could. Honda are basically a year behind so they will be in the same position next season. In 2016; Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault will only be able to develop 41% of the unit whereas Honda will be able to develop 48% and so on.
Basically, Honda probably won't actually be disadvantaged at all as they will still be in the same situation they would have been had the loophole not existed.
Well, done a little bit of a search around and it seems, although the article is correct, it's somewhat worded to make it seem Honda will be at a heavy disadvantage. This season; Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari are able to develop 48% of their unit (32 tokens) and that would had to have been done by February 28th. The loophole only means that instead of hitting the 48% limit by February, they have all season. But it doesn't mean they can develop any more than they already could. Honda are basically a year behind so they will be in the same position next season. In 2016; Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault will only be able to develop 41% of the unit whereas Honda will be able to develop 48% and so on.
Basically, Honda probably won't actually be disadvantaged at all as they will still be in the same situation they would have been had the loophole not existed.
Ah, that makes sense.
Renault have said (when the homologation was in effect) that the limiting factor with engine development was time, not tokens. So, in effect they can actually develop more than they could before, because they've now got the time to.  
VetteIfan said:
Renault have said (when the homologation was in effect) that the limiting factor with engine development was time, not tokens. So, in effect they can actually develop more than they could before, because they've now got the time to.  
This is true. But saying that, Honda will have used the 2014 season as a development year while the others obviously wouldn't have been able to so even that disadvantage will be somewhat negated. Plus, if the other teams are taking longer to develop they won't be reaping the full benefit of the extra 48% for the whole season. It wouldn't surprise me if most of them use their 48% before the season opener.

Saying all that though, I still think it's wrong that the FIA are allowing them the use of this loophole in the interest of fairness. It won't be encouraging many other manufacturers to supply engines if they know they can't develop to the same rules as the established suppliers.
  • UP100 pinned this topic