Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

f1since08

VetteIfan said:
AMS97KRR said:
Well, I started disliking Renault in 2010, because of the reliability of the Red Bull, they've been on and off since, 2012 it cropped up again.

They could do that, but it would take a couple of years for anyone other than Red Bull to use it. I reckon what RBR might do is give it to STR for the first year and then use it once the issues are sorted if they made their own engine
You do realise only 1 retirement for Red Bull in 2010 was caused by the Renault engine being at direct fault? 2012 they had the alternator problem yes, but it would've been a lot easier to cure had RB started using the new spec alternator straight away after the first failure. 

I believe you're making mountains out of molehills when discussing your dislike for Renault. I'm just as big a fan as Red Bull as you are, but there's no point chucking toys out of the pram over tough times after all the great times they've had. They've been a loyal servant to Red Bull and I'd hope that at least buys them a bit of patience. 
I'm not chucking toys out the pram at all, I just don't like them that much and I'd have chosen Mercedes back in 2010 if I'd had the choice. 
I hope they sort it out too, but if they don't then RB seriously need to reconsider using their engines.

I don't think Renault are far behind where I expected them to be; they've been the least powerful supplier for V8, but the most torqued. That didn't matter so much last year because it was aero dominated. Had power been a factor last year Mercedes and Ferrari would have been much closer. Renault will improve, but so will Ferrari and Merc.

VetteIfan said:
AMS97KRR said:
Well, I started disliking Renault in 2010, because of the reliability of the Red Bull, they've been on and off since, 2012 it cropped up again.

They could do that, but it would take a couple of years for anyone other than Red Bull to use it. I reckon what RBR might do is give it to STR for the first year and then use it once the issues are sorted if they made their own engine
You do realise only 1 retirement for Red Bull in 2010 was caused by the Renault engine being at direct fault? 2012 they had the alternator problem yes, but it would've been a lot easier to cure had RB started using the new spec alternator straight away after the first failure. 

I believe you're making mountains out of molehills when discussing your dislike for Renault. I'm just as big a fan as Red Bull as you are, but there's no point chucking toys out of the pram over tough times after all the great times they've had. They've been a loyal servant to Red Bull and I'd hope that at least buys them a bit of patience. 
Didn't Magnetti Marelli make the alternator on the Red Bull ? Could be wrong though.

fIsince08 said:
Apparently McLaren might sign Grosjean next season if Button retires and they can't get Alonso. REALLY?
I'd say Vettel is more possible to happen than Grosjean. http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/38317/f1-la-honda-vuole-newey-vettel-e-anche-horner

And Grosjean isn't too bad, he really has improved from being "first lap nutcase"

mike96 said:
fIsince08 said:
Apparently McLaren might sign Grosjean next season if Button retires and they can't get Alonso. REALLY?
I'd say Vettel is more possible to happen than Grosjean. http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/38317/f1-la-honda-vuole-newey-vettel-e-anche-horner

And Grosjean isn't too bad, he really has improved from being "first lap nutcase"
Yeah, but McLaren have Stoffel Vandoorne...

fIsince08 said:
mike96 said:
fIsince08 said:

Yeah, but McLaren have Stoffel Vandoorne...
I don't think the Magnussen/Vandoorne duo will work for next year. Maybe they should try to find another team for Vandoorne and see what he is capable of.

Grosjean is a good driver, he has calmed down and is putting in the performances, I think he is quality.

Not sure about Vettel to McLaren, but I'd love to see him win in a different team to silence the people who for some reason think you have to win a title in 2 teams.

Sorry for the double post, but Autosport's reporting that F1 is considering removing in-season testing and cutting pre-season testing down to two tests to reduce costs. Really? Introduce mid-season testing one year, remove it the next, and call that cost cutting? Who on earth is making these decisions?

I head-desked so hard when I read that report. Have they all forgotten Silverstone last year that quickly. Pretty much sums things up with how F1 is run at the moment that the teams are kicking up about having to go to Bahrain for essential testing but not kicking up a fuss about having to go there for a race and in turn all the other races which are more often than not bore-fests. At least India and Korea are gone.

Helmut Marko told BILD that at the end of the season, RB are going to ask for financial compensation from Renault for all the problems they had this year.

This team is more arrogant than I thought if this is all true.
If that's the case  then Lotus should get at least 50% of the Renault industry for free :P

Lukedfrt said:
fIsince08 said:
Hope Button doesn't retire. He's certainly holding his own against Magnusson atm considering K Mag is supposed to be the next best thing.
I agree I think if Button wants them enough I'd say he's got at least 2 or 3 more good seasons left in him at this level before that but that's if he wants them though. I know he's one of the oldest in the field so is probably next in line to retire but I think he's got a little more time yet

Just a quick update, I now dislike Magnussen even more than Vettel or Hamilton. After the comments he made about Raikkonen, as Montoya would say.. Yep you know the rest. This is why I like Bottas, he's fast but he doesn't talk rubbish all the time.

Magnussen and Raikkonen are making an unfortunate habit of coming together regularly. Personally, already as a fan of Magnussen, I like to see a rookie with a bit of fire in his belly and not be afraid to say something uncomplimentary about one of the top guys in the sport. Plus I can't help but feel if it had been the opposite way around Raikkonen would've probably had something to say about the incident. 

mike96 said:
Yeah exactly. Kimi just reversed onto his front wing!
If you saw his comments about that he said "Yeah, I don't really care that much since my race was either way screwed."

Really? You took someone off and you don't care?
That statement's somewhat out of context- it was actually in response to why he tried the initial overambitious overtaking attempt and not the subsequent reversing bit.

Was still poor form from Kimi though, it was obviously his mistake and he was in eighth which is still four championship points.

Edit: Still don't know what it was that Magnussen said...

@yugin96 http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/Formel1/2014/05/25/204152.htm

If you translate it from Chrome:

"- I do not know if he had been drinkingHe certainly had not seen that stayed right behind him. He simply backed up over my forewing, and kept on top of my car."

mike96 said:
@yugin96 http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/Formel1/2014/05/25/204152.htm

If you translate it from Chrome:

"- I do not know if he had been drinkingHe certainly had not seen that stayed right behind him. He simply backed up over my forewing, and kept on top of my car."
So not so much Montoya than Webber then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLrI5Q33SXU

Formula 1 changing to a more reliable fuel flow sensor for the 2015 season, looks like they may be finally admitting there is a issue with the sensors.
If i were Red bull i would be challenging the decision again for what happened to Ricciardo.

F1 times
I think they'll just accept that the decision has been made now anyway and just forget it happened

Mercedes' version of the Hamilton-Alonso ad from McLaren back in 2007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKG7h1hrNb8

Bet Lewis is regretting that little kickabout after complaining about Rosberg's pre-quali keepy-uppy routine.

Also, Nico causing yellow flags at 0:24 :P

• The topic was pinned