Jump to content Jump to content

The Formula 1 Stuff Thread

Good for him, lets see what he can do in what will hopefully be a fully season. I would think that their other driver would be Alexander Rossi? Or perhaps Max Chilton could come back?
I thought Max Chilton was going to Indy Lights or something he tested with Carlin

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117472
Yeah I knew he did that but with an F1 race seat available I wouldn't be surprised if he still ended up at Manor.

In other news, Lotus have signed Carmen Jorda as their development driver for 2015.

Obviously great to see another girl involved in a team's development programme but have you seen her GP3 results and times? Absolutely rubbish and in her three seasons she finished 28th, 30th and 29th with a best finish of 13th in Valencia 2012. Her next best finish was 17th.

There are waaay more other drivers who deserve that kind of position.
Yeah I knew he did that but with an F1 race seat available I wouldn't be surprised if he still ended up at Manor.

In other news, Lotus have signed Carmen Jorda as their development driver for 2015.

Obviously great to see another girl involved in a team's development programme but have you seen her GP3 results and times? Absolutely rubbish and in her three seasons she finished 28th, 30th and 29th with a best finish of 13th in Valencia 2012. Her next best finish was 17th.

There are waaay more other drivers who deserve that kind of position.
I know, F1 teamslooking for potential female related sponsorship? :wink:
Jorda is absolutely dreadful. Then again, so is Wolff and she's done a pretty good job by actually having acceptable pace in a F1-car. By that definition, cash-strapped Lotus will feel justified to give that position to someone who will attract as much attention as possible.

Although it is a shame that valuable time in a F1-car isn't given to a driver who actually has a shot at making it in F1, but you gotta do what you gotta do to survive I guess.
mike96 said:
Jiggy said:
"Quick, pretend to work on the engine to make her look more like an actual race car driver!"
Hmmm, I wonder what's the man at the far left doing? ;)
I have what I think is a fantastic reply to this message, but I feel that as a moderator I probably shouldn't! :P
mike96 said:
Jiggy said:
"Quick, pretend to work on the engine to make her look more like an actual race car driver!"
Hmmm, I wonder what's the man at the far left doing? ;)
I have what I think is a fantastic reply to this message, but I feel that as a moderator I probably shouldn't! :P
Well, I am not a mod, so let's see if we're on the same page here.

Is this the joke-thread?
Sky just confirmed it ;)

The FIA have just released an updated entry list for the 2015 F1 World Championship and Manor have been included.

Two conditions are added to the team formerly known as Marussia’s entry. ‘Full compliance with the 2015 Technical Regulations required’ is listed beside the team name while Will Steven’s position as driver is subject to him holding a valid super licence.

The entry’s company name is still listed as Manor Grand Prix Racing Limited, but the team name has been revised to include the Marussia title. They will be known as Manor Marussia F1 team as the chassis will still carry the Marussia title, despite the sponsorship deal ending

But you can't complain about it or else you'd be a sexist pig. Not that women's rights isn't something worth fighting for, but I doubt Jorda is going to help much looking at her track record.

But at the same time, who knows, if she somehow manages to be anything but a complete disaster, maybe it'll open up spots for women who can legit drive.
Susie Wolff's record in lower categories hasn't been amazing either but her laptimes were half-decent last year whenever she got a chance to get into the car...
That is very much true. I think it's because of this that Jorda is given a chance here. If Wolff turned out to be 5 seconds off the pace, no way that Lotus would go for Jorda. So in a way, just by driving at a respectable pace, Wolff already is paving the way for future female drivers. That can prove valuable when one of them pops up with legit talent to go very far.
And you don't need to be a worldy as a developmental driver apparently. Wolff exceeded expectations greatly and got promoted as the team's reserve driver.

A big issue however is the difference in reactions between Jorda's and Wolff's announcements. I don't think people criticized Wolff as much, if she even got any, as they are criticizing Jorda. She's being slaughtered. If it's mostly simulation work, then there is no problem, but if Lotus put her on a track and her times are absolutely dreadful, then it might even set female drivers back in the worst-case-scenario.
criticized Wolff. I don't care what gender a driver is, if they don't have a good record behind them then I don't think they should be in Formula 1.
It's supposed to be the best drivers in motorsport right? If a driver hasn't won any races since karting then I don't believe they should be in a Formula 1 car. I'm looking forward to the new FIA Super License regs next year so that we don't get drivers who are there because they have money, or because they're good for marketing.
  • UP100 pinned this topic