Dirt rally 2.0

How is multiplayer going to work? I seen staggered starts in a gameplay video. Are cars live on the track with you where you can pass and be passed? What other things are new to 2.0 in the game play area? (Not content, just new features) 

After the previois 2 titles on the fence about this one. Especially with paid for dlc. I understand companies need to make money. But I'm sure there hasn't been any price points set forth yet Have there?

Thank you

Hey up @LOSTVENGENCE96, nice polite post 👍

Don't take this as gospel but what I've pieced together on multiplayer:

- First off, the 'staggered start' that you've seen is an effect at the start of a stage. Don't expect to catch or be caught by them during the stage; with the longer stages with more detail they have that's not currently possible (not to mention the added complexity of AI behaviour). You will pass by cars stranded on the road in single player though.

- Multiplayer on Day 1 will allow anyone to create or join single games in the lobby - this can be custom rallies, a custom rallycross calendar or a mix of both and 8 players max per lobby. I don't know if stage deformation is factored in at all, but I don't think so to start with.

- There will also be similar daily challenges as in DR1, dailies, weeklies, that sort of thing. I don't know if the wager format will return.

- Clubs (D4) / Leagues (DR) will be added shortly after launch; expect it to be weeks or days rather than months. It's not yet confirmed if these will function any differently.

- They've talked about eSports and obviously (eventually) had a successful competition in DiRT 4, but more details on that will come later.

---

So that's multiplayer, but you're asking about new gameplay features:

- Stage deformation and running order is a thing, so the stage will be in a different condition (loose gravel for early runners, rutted surface for later runners) based on your starting position.

- Tyre compounds and wear are in; so 'soft', 'medium' and 'hard' tyres will have different properties and wear at a different rate. Having to make choices will also have an effect with the new weather variables.

- The offline championships appear to be an upgraded version of those from DR1, with hiring a team and competing in whatever car you like.

- There are a few nifty new options like an AI difficulty slider and a 'hardcore' damage mode (no 7 second penalties for going off a cliff and no continuing after you hit a tree).

- Also seem to be a lot more graphical options and upgrades to visuals like trees and spectators; the footage looks a lot more immersive IMO.

- It feels like the game is a natural evolution of where DR1 could have gone; a lot of small items improved and upgraded.

---

You were also asking about DLC:

- Codemasters were asked for DLC loads in DR1, so it seems this time they've built a game infrastructure to allow it. This means we can expect features and patches for at least six months as there will be two packs added to the game as a minimum. IMO, this is a great step and I hope we see more.

- The first DLC has been confirmed to be rally content only, so if you're into rallying more than rallycross it may be your lucky day.

- I'm guessing from some 'fan favourite' hints that some of the DLC content will be hugely upgraded and reworked version of the original locations.

- Price points will depend on region obviously. Check out the difference between the 'standard' and 'deluxe' version wherever you are to get an idea of the price.

Any more questions, please ask away - I hope we see you on the leaderboards!

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

- I'm guessing from some 'fan favourite' hints that some of the DLC content will be hugely upgraded and reworked version of the original locations.

Just curious Rodger, what makes you think they'll be hugely upgraded and reworked?

@RodgerDavies Useful post 👍🏻

Regarding Multiplayer Lobbies, how will things work exactly?

Rallycross makes sense, it’s like a normal race in any other game.

For Stage Rallies however, will all drivers start a stage at the same time and be ghosted throughout the run, with live Leaderboards along the way? I did a little bit of Multiplayer in DiRT 4 (enough to get the Achievements) and I think that’s how it functioned.

3 minutes ago, ShodanCat said:

Just curious Rodger, what makes you think they'll be hugely upgraded and reworked?

Because if they do, they'll have to have new textures (to match the new palette), new models (the trees are all new and weather dependent spectators), introduce surface degradation and obviously update the AI. Modelling the 3D environment may be done, but everything else would need doing.

There's also a chance they'd have to amend the layouts to make sure they're not 100% replicas this time, seeing how the new stages all seem to be a little different to the ones they're based on.

18 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

@RodgerDavies Useful post 👍🏻

Regarding Multiplayer Lobbies, how will things work exactly?

Rallycross makes sense, it’s like a normal race in any other game.

For Stage Rallies however, will all drivers start a stage at the same time and be ghosted throughout the run, with live Leaderboards along the way? I did a little bit of Multiplayer in DiRT 4 (enough to get the Achievements) and I think that’s how it functioned.

Same as D4 I assume - I can't remember if there were ghosts or not, but all starting simultaneously - I thought it worked well TBH, although mildly disappointed if it is only 8 players.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Agree 1

Thanks for thr replies. Nothing new that makes things that much different. Glad to know I can save my money for a sale 3 weeks after release.

9 minutes ago, LOSTVENGENCE96 said:

Thanks for thr replies. Nothing new that makes things that much different. Glad to know I can save my money for a sale 3 weeks after release.

Nice to know you opened this thread with an open mind.

16 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

Nice to know you opened this thread with an open mind.

I honestly had no hopes but gave it a shot. I was either going to be pleasantly suprised or no worse off then I was. No loss. 

2 hours ago, LOSTVENGENCE96 said:

I honestly had no hopes but gave it a shot. I was either going to be pleasantly suprised or no worse off then I was. No loss. 

So you were "on the fence" - what would have made you come down on the other side of the fence? PSVR / Vive users aside (which will hopefully be fixed with time), it seems the game is a step forward from Dirt Rally in every regard. I am working under the assumption that you enjoyed DR1, so apologies if I'm wrong there.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

So you were "on the fence" - what would have made you come down on the other side of the fence? PSVR / Vive users aside (which will hopefully be fixed with time), it seems the game is a step forward from Dirt Rally in every regard. I am working under the assumption that you enjoyed DR1, so apologies if I'm wrong there.

No dr1 was a dumpster fire. D4 was better but only because of physics. Even then they still were sloppy imo. Still didn't seem like a full game. Multiplayer is a big point and imo its still wrong. And no full custom stages. 

13 minutes ago, LOSTVENGENCE96 said:

No dr1 was a dumpster fire. D4 was better but only because of physics. Even then they still were sloppy imo. Still didn't seem like a full game. Multiplayer is a big point and imo its still wrong. And no full custom stages. 

In what way was Dirt Rally 1 a dumpster fire ?

And Fully custom stages ? Maybe in 50 years or if you want to be a developer yourself..

Edited by paint21

30 minutes ago, LOSTVENGENCE96 said:

DR was bad in a few points, but still better than most games by the time, WRC titles included. I did fell indeed it was a incomplete game, since it had so much potential, but it was still an experimental project for CM, so it gets forgivable in many aspects. Lousy physics and damage model aside, DR was a great game and seemed like a whole new IP for CM, since it was also very distinguishable from previous titles.

D4, on the other hand, is just plain bad. Physics got fixed and all the rest was screwed deeply. Poor team management, mostly repeated car list entries, shameful campaign and pathetic course generating tools and resources are some points that state the lack of effort put into the development of this game.

48 minutes ago, paint21 said:

In what way was Dirt Rally 1 a dumpster fire ?

And Fully custom stages ? Maybe in 50 years or if you want to be a developer yourself..

He physics were absolutely garbage. Ruined the entire game. Custom stages were done way back on ps1. I've covered this numerous times. 

22 minutes ago, DreamyGhostZ said:

DR was bad in a few points, but still better than most games by the time, WRC titles included. I did fell indeed it was a incomplete game, since it had so much potential, but it was still an experimental project for CM, so it gets forgivable in many aspects. Lousy physics and damage model aside, DR was a great game and seemed like a whole new IP for CM, since it was also very distinguishable from previous titles.

D4, on the other hand, is just plain bad. Physics got fixed and all the rest was screwed deeply. Poor team management, mostly repeated car list entries, shameful campaign and pathetic course generating tools and resources are some points that state the lack of effort put into the development of this game.

Didn't take much at the time to be better then other rally games at the time. 

Still, with all the copies that were sold, 0 updates, 0 communication about the future of the game. Nothing. Thats not forgivable. 

Dirt 4 wasn't much better as far as communication. One one minor update that didn't mean anything. 

So why would anyone think dirt 2.0 is better then before? 3rd times a charm ? Maybe. But, its not a day 1 buy like the other 2 were. Ill get it on sale or used. 

I agree with you on the points about lack of support - Dirt 4 was a huge let down - I would have been happier if they'd come out early and said "sorry; we got this completely wrong, we're ripping up the paper and starting on something new".

But we've been asking for ongoing support and now hey, here we are - minimum of 6 months of support on the new game with more to come if the interest is there to continue supporting development. That's one of my main hesitations answered (without that I would not be interested in the game for a long time either). Like several other things in this game, it appears to be a direct response to what we've been asking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOSTVENGENCE96 said:

Still, with all the copies that were sold, 0 updates, 0 communication about the future of the game. Nothing. Thats not forgivable. 

Dirt 4 wasn't much better as far as communication. One one minor update that didn't mean anything. 

So why would anyone think dirt 2.0 is better then before? 3rd times a charm ? Maybe. But, its not a day 1 buy like the other 2 were. Ill get it on sale or used. 

I didn't buy D4 on launch, just on a sale to have on my Steam library, along with all other DiRT titles released, which I own. Still, I pre-ordered DR2.0 on Steam because I did put some faith on it and because the deluxe edition was extremely cheap on our region.

It may be dumb, but I want to support CM despite all that has happened before. Call me crazy, I don't mind, but I love rallying since my child days and will not accept these lame WRC titles to be our only source of games for the sport.

1 hour ago, LOSTVENGENCE96 said:

0 updates inDiRT Rally? You have to be a console user.  One who never visited the forum before the console release.

9 hours ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

0 updates inDiRT Rally? You have to be a console user.  One who never visited the forum before the console release.

Yes console. Why would I care what happens on pc? They abandoned dirt rally almost as soon as it released. With radio silence on what was going on and coming out and saying "hey. This is all the games going to ever be. Were starting on something new to try. Bare with us"

10 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

I agree with you on the points about lack of support - Dirt 4 was a huge let down - I would have been happier if they'd come out early and said "sorry; we got this completely wrong, we're ripping up the paper and starting on something new".

But we've been asking for ongoing support and now hey, here we are - minimum of 6 months of support on the new game with more to come if the interest is there to continue supporting development. That's one of my main hesitations answered (without that I would not be interested in the game for a long time either). Like several other things in this game, it appears to be a direct response to what we've been asking for.

While 6 months is better then anything in the last 2, just how much support? Will physics change if needed? Or is it just throwing us (paid) dlc to try and make people happy? Time will tell. 

4 hours ago, LOSTVENGENCE96 said:

Yes console. Why would I care what happens on pc? They abandoned dirt rally almost as soon as it released. With radio silence on what was going on and coming out and saying "hey. This is all the games going to ever be. Were starting on something new to try. Bare with us"

Because DiRT Rally was an Early Access game, released on pc a year before it was released on consoles, it came with only 3 countries. During that year Codies released monthly updates which included everything from new stages, new cars, VR support and a new handling system. Each update was beta tested by forum members and their feedback was used to tweak countless parts of the game. All of this was detailed, in advance, in the DiRT Rally Roadbooks which were posted on the forum/twitter/facebook and the videos that were released on Youtube by Codies. Anyone who read the forums at that time knew exactly what as going on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Because DiRT Rally was an Early Access game, released on pc a year before it was released on consoles, it came with only 3 countries. During that year Codies released monthly updates which included everything from new stages, new cars, VR support and a new handling system. Each update was beta tested by forum members and their feedback was used to tweak countless parts of the game. All of this was detailed, in advance, in the DiRT Rally Roadbooks which were posted on the forum/twitter/facebook and the videos that were released on Youtube by Codies. Anyone who read the forums at that time knew exactly what as going on.

Probably the best way to approach these seasons. The "whole" community was involved and the game turned out to be great for its time and budget. I remember the hype of waiting for the next DR update, and the satisfaction once it was downloading and we were playing it. With DR2.0 being like this, it will keep the game alive for quite a while, better yet when eSports are mixed in.

Edited by AIPacino
  • Agree 2