Jump to content

2019 FIA World Rallycross Championship

Recommended Posts

Interesting what i found out about the cooling exits at the back of the Megane R.S. RX. I can't remember that i heard that the Meganes had issues with cooling or something, but interesting how it has been changes in 3 very differents specs last year.

For the first five round, the Megane's were running with a closed bonnet and an almost open "Diffiuser" (if i can say it like this)

image.thumb.png.8cf565d9530c842e2bc9598c0f71fd32.png

At Round 6 - Holjes (Sweden) a change came. The Diffuser became completly open (same as the test car, see at the end of the post) and in the trunk two holes were made. Probably to have a better airstream from the side airintake for the cooling that takes place in the back. Another idea is that they maybe wanted to change the airstreams away from the diffuser, so that it creates less downforce and change the balance of the car.

image.thumb.png.051302e0607aff70d903bf22f3e00468.png

Now the interesting part is, for the next round (7) at Canada, they closed the "diffuser", only have cutted away space for the exhaust. This spec they also used for France (round 8).

image.png.371f50236f17c52055d2f85a5cd49fa6.png

In round 9 (Riga) another change came, Now they actually opened up the complete trunk area for better cooling probably and the Renault badge also has been gone now. I can also understand it they did it to get a better inner car flow, to reduce drag (parachute effect). Maybe this also helps the car for better top speed in Canada this weekend as currently this is also the spec the team still uses. So it seems they are happy with this configuration. 

image.thumb.png.a7a6de0f35a16f2d33aa9821c2098e85.png Afbeelding kan het volgende bevatten: auto en buiten

Btw, the test car at the beginning of 2018 also had a little different lay-out again, but that was a test car, and therefore not was in competition spec

29060467_1892559034087692_1885244675238974533_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQnSwRe587VU8npAkAnbyOutADD2t4dbXgku1x7fPKmeijM4qQ89GT0_3rcYhrzg5zA&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=793e59d9a58beb7beefc69b968f434c8&oe=5DE3B978

 

I also checked other aero parts of the car, but it seems this hasn't been really changed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a weekend!! World RX and ARX were awesome

Both championships are wide open now, bring it!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Interesting what i found out about the cooling exits at the back of the Megane R.S. RX. I can't remember that i heard that the Meganes had issues with cooling or something, but interesting how it has been changes in 3 very differents specs last year.

For the first five round, the Megane's were running with a closed bonnet and an almost open "Diffiuser" (if i can say it like this)

image.thumb.png.8cf565d9530c842e2bc9598c0f71fd32.png

At Round 6 - Holjes (Sweden) a change came. The Diffuser became completly open (same as the test car, see at the end of the post) and in the trunk two holes were made. Probably to have a better airstream from the side airintake for the cooling that takes place in the back. Another idea is that they maybe wanted to change the airstreams away from the diffuser, so that it creates less downforce and change the balance of the car.

image.thumb.png.051302e0607aff70d903bf22f3e00468.png

Now the interesting part is, for the next round (7) at Canada, they closed the "diffuser", only have cutted away space for the exhaust. This spec they also used for France (round 8).

image.png.371f50236f17c52055d2f85a5cd49fa6.png

In round 9 (Riga) another change came, Now they actually opened up the complete trunk area for better cooling probably and the Renault badge also has been gone now. I can also understand it they did it to get a better inner car flow, to reduce drag (parachute effect). Maybe this also helps the car for better top speed in Canada this weekend as currently this is also the spec the team still uses. So it seems they are happy with this configuration. 

image.thumb.png.a7a6de0f35a16f2d33aa9821c2098e85.png Afbeelding kan het volgende bevatten: auto en buiten

Btw, the test car at the beginning of 2018 also had a little different lay-out again, but that was a test car, and therefore not was in competition spec

29060467_1892559034087692_1885244675238974533_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQnSwRe587VU8npAkAnbyOutADD2t4dbXgku1x7fPKmeijM4qQ89GT0_3rcYhrzg5zA&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=793e59d9a58beb7beefc69b968f434c8&oe=5DE3B978

 

I also checked other aero parts of the car, but it seems this hasn't been really changed. 

The first change was forced on GCK/Prodrive, as the regulations were changed after the Megane was unveiled. 

I don't know for sure, but I think Prodrive were using the air from the radiators for aerodynamic gain. My best guess is that they had the rear setup like a blown diffuser, but I don't know that for certain. 

The regulations now state that air from the rear cooling package must exit the car via the boot and not the boot floor.

There have been numerous changes nade this year as the FORS engineers are attempting to refine the Prodrive design.

Front aero (round the arches if I remember rightly) and the rear wing have also changed slightly. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MattyH1812 said:

What a weekend!! World RX and ARX were awesome

Both championships are wide open now, bring it!

Yeah. Was hoping that Kevin wouldn't make the final so the Championship would close up even more, but I am still pleased to see the gap has been slashed.

Gutted that Niclas didn't make it through, as that would have pushed him further up the standings as well. 

Long overdue win for Bakkerud. Fantastic drive from Baumanis as well. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah. Was hoping that Kevin wouldn't make the final so the Championship would close up even more, but I am still pleased to see the gap has been slashed.

Gutted that Niclas didn't make it through, as that would have pushed him further up the standings as well. 

Long overdue win for Bakkerud. Fantastic drive from Baumanis as well. 

my thoughts exactly. super impressive Niclas is 4th overall now even though he missed.. what, 2 events? 3? enough to put him in 1st or 2nd overall for sure.

just to add: disappointing to see Doran go out like that. something almost always goes wrong for him (though admittedly this time it was kind of his fault).

I'm really glad it's more competitive this year, even though we're missing 4 of the best drivers (5 if you include Block haha). wish OMSE were involved in every event, they were amazing in Holjes!

Edited by ianism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ianism said:

wish OMSE were involved in every event, they were amazing in Holjes!

Can't help but think they picked the wrong year. They struggled last year and, although they had issues in Sweden, they surely would have been far more competitive this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Can't help but think they picked the wrong year. They struggled last year and, although they had issues in Sweden, they surely would have been far more competitive this year. 

for sure! I think several of us have thought this independently hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Can't help but think they picked the wrong year. They struggled last year and, although they had issues in Sweden, they surely would have been far more competitive this year. 

Agree with this, although the car still does have some serious issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, anyone knows who will race at NRX this year? Its on 17 August.
it looks like the “complete” ARX will drive + Pastrana + maybe Block.

The WRX cars are now in North America, But with Loheac taking place two weeks later at the end of August, it’s quite a big risk and logistical challenge. The damages that Bakkerud and Hansen had at Abu Dhabi you can't get, otherwise the France round will be a non-starter.

Also there is ERX that weekend at the Estering the same weekend and RallyX Nordic a weekend later in Finland, which might make it more complex in case of extra chassis availability. Though f.e. Ekstrom could still go with an Cometoyou Audi from Enzo Ide like last year he did. Maybe Doran could get his DS3 back out, the Hansens maybe can find another 208 somewhere and maybe OMSE could promote their new Fiesta well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mats27 said:

Agree with this, although the car still does have some serious issues

Yeah, I know there were still issues in Holjes (and they did perhaps have a slight home advantage), but they seemed a long way from their disappointing 2018 season. 

Looks like they (OMSE) have abandoned the idea of front mounted cooling and reverted to a traditional Supercar design. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JorritVD said:

Btw, anyone knows who will race at NRX this year? Its on 17 August.
it looks like the “complete” ARX will drive + Pastrana + maybe Block.

The WRX cars are now in North America, But with Loheac taking place two weeks later at the end of August, it’s quite a big risk and logistical challenge. The damages that Bakkerud and Hansen had at Abu Dhabi you can't get, otherwise the France round will be a non-starter.

Also there is ERX that weekend at the Estering the same weekend and RallyX Nordic a weekend later in Finland, which might make it more complex in case of extra chassis availability. Though f.e. Ekstrom could still go with an Cometoyou Audi from Enzo Ide like last year he did. Maybe Doran could get his DS3 back out, the Hansens maybe can find another 208 somewhere and maybe OMSE could promote their new Fiesta well.

Yeah, I'm expecting no more than nine cars. I hope that a World driver or two gives it a look but, given the budget that most of the teams are running on this year, I'm not overly optimistic we will see any of them. As you say, Loheac is the priority and the potential for an expensive repair bill is high at Nitro!

I wonder what car Block will compete in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, I'm expecting no more than nine cars. I hope that a World driver or two gives it a look but, given the budget that most of the teams are running on this year, I'm not overly optimistic we will see any of them. As you say, Loheac is the priority and the potential for an expensive repair bill is high at Nitro!

Last year Hansen en Ekstrom used a different chassis. Also last year I had the feeling Red Bull was mostly paying the bills of those two entries

2 hours ago, tbtstt said:

I wonder what car Block will compete in. 

Yeah, possible Pecoy's car, but actually i expect Pecoy will be racing. But the Loenbro team got a third M-Sport chassis at their workshop. Though a while ago it was not more than a rolling chassis. The two Focus RS were not even rolling chassis. Than there is still the Ghymkhana 10 used Focus RS, which is an option. Although with the suspension issues the Focus had last year, I wonder if that car is at all an option.

 

Also was wondering if maybe Petter Solberg might consider the event with his Polo in his farewell tour.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a brilliant weekend. 

We have a french expression saying : « j’ai pris un pied monstre » which means something like - it was f*****g brilliant 😃

So happy for Andreas, he deserves it.

Doran style may be too agressive for that kind of tracks.

Sad for Chicherit (cocoricooo ! 🇫🇷). I have the feeling that there is always something to the GCK team to avoid them from a win.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic weekend of racing in Canada, also great that it's the one event where everything happens at a decent hour for me!

What did Timur say after his Semifinal win that he apologized for?  I couldn't really make it out.

Looks like I'll be going up there next year for the WRX weekend with media credentials so that will be fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mwoodski said:

What did Timur say after his Semifinal win that he apologized for?  I couldn't really make it out.

I think he said something like "riding it doggy style" (talking about the way the car was driving), then he apologised! 

2 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Last year Hansen en Ekstrom used a different chassis. Also last year I had the feeling Red Bull was mostly paying the bills of those two entries

Yeah, I agree. Wonder if they might at least provide the funding for Timmy again? Would expect them to use an older car and not the current World cars though. 

2 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Yeah, possible Pecoy's car, but actually i expect Pecoy will be racing. But the Loenbro team got a third M-Sport chassis at their workshop. Though a while ago it was not more than a rolling chassis. The two Focus RS were not even rolling chassis. Than there is still the Ghymkhana 10 used Focus RS, which is an option. Although with the suspension issues the Focus had last year, I wonder if that car is at all an option.

I wondered if Block might use his own Fiesta or if he'll use the second Loenbro car. I'd be very surprised to see the Focus in competition use again. 

2 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Also was wondering if maybe Petter Solberg might consider the event with his Polo in his farewell tour.

Would be awesome if he did as Petter talked about doing X-Games years ago, but couldn't fit it in. I'd say the decision for Nitro would be in the hands of VW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty certain I hear Coley say the focus running gear was in their cars raced in the ARX this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Pretty certain I hear Coley say the focus running gear was in their cars raced in the ARX this weekend.

Yes, a lot of stuff tranfered from the Focus to the Fiesta. It is a Fiesta chassis with the Focus driveline. 

Btw, got an reply on Instagram that Block and Arpin will be racing the Fiesta at NRX. So no Pecoy than 😕 
On the websites of Bigham and Foust there is also mentioned they will attent NRX, but still with the old date from september 2019.
Subaru comes I expect with 4 Impreza. With their regular ARX drivers and Pastrana.
I not expect Oliver Solberg and David Higgins as their focus in on rally and I think that might be a week later already again.

I would also thought this event might be something for Chicherit, but with their third Megane being raced by Baciuska I don't think it is an option. Or G-Fors has a spare Clio available from their French RX programm. Although, in all respect, I don't think those Clio's will be strong/reliable enough for the NRX event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen that the GCK megane are coming back to France for the Lohéac event (instagram stories). So, no Chicherit in NRX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice pictures as usual.

I am not fan of the titans car shapes. It lacks some personality IMO. Maybe the Audi A1 shape is a bit better.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JamesMcAdam said:

nice pictures as usual.

I am not fan of the titans car shapes. It lacks some personality IMO. Maybe the Audi A1 shape is a bit better.

I agree. The Audi and Mercedes bodies looked OK, but the rest looked really ungainly. 

I think they would be better if they had just one decent looking body (like the RX Lite) and then had more colorful liveries to tell the drivers apart. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The proportions of the TitansRX cars looks very strange. The Merc and Audi shapes look a bit better, also because the nose of the Hyundai seems double long if you see it from the side. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×