2019 FIA World Rallycross Championship

Will be an interesting weekend. I would also hope Bakkerud gets the championship, but looking back to the two last years, it will be a big challenge:
- Bakkerud never managed to get in the final in South Africa.
- Fout finalists from last year (Kristofferson, Ekstrom, Loeb, Solberg) are not competing, meaning Kevin would be 1st, Timmy 2nd and Bakkerud 3rd.
- Both Timmy and Kevin have competed twice (in different spec 208 though) in South Africa. From the Audi squad, only Bakkerud has experience with the track. Both Szabo and Doran it is their first attempt.

Still it is a bit unclear. It seems Robin Larsson is also in South Africa, but not really know his role with it. Also I have no clue if boss Ekstrom will be at the event. 

7 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Seems RX Cartel is planning to be back in 2020. 

Just listened to the interview. Seems like they want to come back, but nothing is confirmed yet. 

• Agree 1

I don't really mind who wins. I like all 3 drivers. I'm just happy it was close all the way to the end and that we got so many different event winners this year 🙂

How the loading screen of Killarney will kinda look like 😛

506943324_SARX.thumb.jpg.f8e874232f67b3e7c5a473db2c5491ab.jpg

Interesting is that Google Maps (with 2019 images) doesn't show the RX lay-out.

image.thumb.png.f66ef18e7ff16c39076d5337812763be.png

Edited by JorritVD
  • Confused 1

I can't wait to do that final chicane, I hope they've got the camber and elevation change right cuz it'll feel amazing if they have

• Agree 1

Interview during qualifying four stating that the two TBA rounds for 2020 are one old venue and one new venue. Russia and Latvia? 

I was thinking about that too, I hope the new one is purpose built and not another F1 track conversion, we're getting too many of those now

• Agree 1

The Q session are finished. It looks like it is heading the way of the Hansen brothers. Still anything can happen (I believe Bakkerud has still new sets of tyres, but they (Hansens) just seem to have a speed advantage over Bakkerud unfortunately. I think Bakkerud/EKS have created this themselves also a little bit with more technical issues compared to Hansen team (which might be a budget thing) but also with mistakes in Abu Dhabi, Hell and Loheác. Class act so far also from Gronholm. Just showing he would probably have been champion (and might confince Hyundai/Loeb to enter a third car).

The GCK Megane just keep dissapointing. Marklund is not the best driver, but if he would have kept the points from Hell and the car would have had less technical issues, than he might have been an outsider for the title. If Prodrive would have kept the development, than I guess the season would have been better for them. 

• Agree 1

I cant imagine that people still miss the Volkswagen team (and it’s illegal WRC car) after this season. 

11 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

Well that was a pretty mental final wasn’t it?

Just a bit, gonna be an interesting afternoon refreshing twitter...

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

I cant imagine that people still miss the Volkswagen team (and it’s illegal WRC car) after this season. 

Illegal car? 

39 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

Well that was a pretty mental final wasn’t it?

Bonkers! I celebrated when Timmy stuffed it into the wall, then got sad when I worked out the numbers as Timo retired. 

With four wins I'd say Timmy has earned the Championship, but I still am yet to warm to him as a driver. Gutted for Bakkerud, a whole season and it is decided on countback. 

The real champion though? Niclas Gronholm: damn his appendix!

• Agree 1

Just now, tbtstt said:

Illegal car? 

image.png.21eb989160c50b9d229e90c5d9fd867e.png 

Probably they found a trick, but it is not allowed according to the technical regulations. 

11 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

image.png.21eb989160c50b9d229e90c5d9fd867e.png 

Probably they found a trick, but it is not allowed according to the technical regulations. 

I thought that might be what you were referencing: that is a regulation I questioned in the past, as multiple European rallycross cars (used in the European and World Championship) have been based on WRCar shells. 

The European regulations actually originally included a line that said that World Rally Cars could be used (from 2000 to 2002), then this was reversed and the line that you have quoted was added in. The best theory is that the FiA didn't/don't want any car that is "obviously" a WRCar being used in anything other than the WRC, which is why they reversed that wording @JorritVD

Many recent builds have been based on WRCar shells - some of the M-Sport Fiestas, the Prodrive MINIs, the VW Motorsport Polos, the GRX i20's, multiple DS3's - plus a load of older 90's and 00's European Championship cars. It is really just the shell that is the "WRCar" part though: virtually everything else is different in the rallycross car.

There have been some questionable cars in the last few years: the Polo definitely isn't one of them. It's just a fantastic bit of engineering.

• Agree 2

I will be disappointed if there is any action with the investigation. It was purely a racing incident, Andreas was wide, Timmy went for the gap and the made contact. Yes it cost Andreas the lead, but he had already lost the lead when he went wide, it just meant that gronholm went into first rather than Timmy. Plus Timmy came of worse (in regards to the race, not as it turns out in the championship).

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

I will be disappointed if there is any action with the investigation. It was purely a racing incident, Andreas was wide, Timmy went for the gap and the made contact. Yes it cost Andreas the lead, but he had already lost the lead when he went wide, it just meant that gronholm went into first rather than Timmy. Plus Timmy came of worse (in regards to the race, not as it turns out in the championship).

He wasn't wide, he was going for a late apex to get the car straight quicker, in my opinion of course

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, RallyDriven said:

I don't entirely agree with you, but I would be surprised if there is any change now. 

Yes Andreas was wide, but the gap wasn't big enough for Timmy to pass cleanly and, if Timmy had got past at that point it would have been "push to pass" and, exactly as it was for Kevin/Niclas at Abu Dhabi, the result would be corrected.  The crucial element was that Andreas was forced onto the barrier by the contact with Timmy and slowed enough to allow Niclas through. If Bakkerud had retained the lead then he would have had enough points to win...

...but, as said in my first line, I seriously doubt that the results will change now. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

...but, as said in my first line, I seriously doubt that the results will change now. 

It's a strange one, I'd like them to give a penalty because in my view Timmy made no attempt to make the corner, but having a championship decided by a penalty? I don't know whether that's ok

I'd hate to be a steward right now, good luck Tommy Rustad

Gronholm / Kevin Hansen at Abu Dhabi
https://youtu.be/nt39gyRdONo?t=170

Kevin Hansen / Gronholm at Hell

Kevin Hansen / Marklund at Canada
https://youtu.be/9cTAkaXCsYQ?t=132

Larsson / Szabo / Hansen at Riga
https://youtu.be/gR_ixf2SW3g?t=1057

Penalties have been given to similar or smaller incidents. if consistent = now also penalty. Basically a DQ for Timmy imo, as Kevin got a similar penalty at Canada and Larsson basically already got it for what was a race incident at Riga. Even Timmy should have been agree with this, as he wanted Larson get a penalty and said that was correct. 

Edited by JorritVD
  • Agree 2

a little 2020 news. The ducth comentator said that the 2 remaining TBC events for 2020 is that it is about Latvia, Russia and Finland.

Other news, front running Euro RX supercar driver Karai has a new build Audi, with EKS design (if inspired by it, or they got info/parts from EKS, i'm not completly sure).
His 2019 Audi was also strong, so this might be a potential championship contender.
https://www.facebook.com/karaimotorsport/
I
t is interesting, as they now have a Karai build Audi, a Karai build Audi V2 (EKS design) and they run an ex-Larsson Audi for Vass. 

14 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

a little 2020 news. The ducth comentator said that the 2 remaining TBC events for 2020 is that it is about Latvia, Russia and Finland.

We know that Kymiring will be ready for MotoGP that's 1 week before the first TBC round so I would bet my money on that. Also that there is no EuroRX for the first TBC round could be explained by a national championship at the same weekend.

• Agree 1