2019 FIA World Rallycross Championship

Saw this thread coming by.. and i just have 2 questions..  someone told me that all RX supercars are gonna be fully electric from 2021 is this correct? and if it is how do you guys feel about this? to me 2 things come into mind 1: lots of traction and silence.. which i dont think is the best combo. 

43 minutes ago, thatDutchguy83 said:

Saw this thread coming by.. and i just have 2 questions..  someone told me that all RX supercars are gonna be fully electric from 2021 is this correct? and if it is how do you guys feel about this? to me 2 things come into mind 1: lots of traction and silence.. which i dont think is the best combo. 

Latest word is that the deadline for manufacturers to sign on for electric has passed and no one has signed up, so the introduction will likely slip further back than 2021: or be completely abandoned. 

12 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Latest word is that the deadline for manufacturers to sign on for electric has passed and no one has signed up, so the introduction will likely slip further back than 2021: or be completely abandoned. 

Shocking...

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

That would be a really good thing imo! 

• Agree 1

Hard to say. I mean, lets try something with a separate league and then, will see how it goes before thinking to replace Supercars.

I like this consensus.

Considering heading to Silverstone for the WRX at the end of May. Whats the viewing like there?

1 hour ago, SquadBruce said:

Considering heading to Silverstone for the WRX at the end of May. Whats the viewing like there?

Actually pretty good. It's not as open as Lydden (few tracks are!), but it's much better than I was expecting. There are grandstands on the outside of the start line/turn one, you can view from the exit of turn one to turn two behind high fencing and the entire section between turn two and the jump just has a low fence, so you can view and take pictures all the way along there. 

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I have written a preview for the 2019 season: 

http://fueltopia.co.uk/world-rallycross-championship-2019-preview/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

agreed, great article. I'm quite disappointed about losing Montalegre. it's my favourite track in DR2.0

does anyone know anything about Estering being added? it's listed at the end as Round 0, with the date of August 17, 2019, which would make it Round 8. it's listed as being part of the Euro RX and Super 1600s championships, so maybe it's just those and not World RX?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ianism said:

does anyone know anything about Estering being added? it's listed at the end as Round 0, with the date of August 17, 2019, which would make it Round 8. it's listed as being part of the Euro RX and Super 1600s championships, so maybe it's just those and not World RX?

Yep, that's right @ianism, Estering is a standalone European Championship only round. 

There have been hints at a split of the World and European Championship coming for a few years now and I thought that Estering this year was the first sign that was happening. With the recent developments concerning the electric future of the Championship though, I wonder if that is less likely now. 

I am actually a little bit disappointed by the RX Cartel livery: looks a bit plain. 

My money is on Bakkerud for this weekend though! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I like the purple/blue thing they have going on. there aren't enough purple cars in motorsports, and it's a great colour.

but on the other hand, yeah they're a bit boring.

I'm into the GCK one though. the split is neat, though I do prefer the ones from last year... the back half of this one is a little uninspired

imagesource.php?image=12744.jpg&maxwidth

Edited by ianism

Ok so, this track is the worst RX track I have ever seen.

Please, Rallycross God, bring me back the old school tracks in the World RX. Thank you ! 🙏

• Agree 1

Despite my reservations I tried to watch Q1 with an open mind. The circuit seems utterly bland so far, hopefully there will be some closer races in Q2 to make things more interesting.  

• Agree 1

It’s ok, the first few corners seem to provide a bit of action, but then it just seems to turn into a line of cars just following each other. Probably a fun track to drive, but not great racing to watch and it needs a proper off-road section, not just some dust

• Agree 1

***** what was bakkerud thinking?! He was never making it around that corner even if Timmy wasn’t there! I was quite a big fan of Andreas but he’s really disappointed me this weekend with the comments to Kevin Hansen and now this. Hope they’re both OK, but I can’t see either cars going again today.

Big shame for Bennet, really not what he needed. Dorian looks reasonably quick but as usual he’s just over driving and losing time in battles

7 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

***** what was bakkerud thinking?! He was never making it around that corner even if Timmy wasn’t there! I was quite a big fan of Andreas but he’s really disappointed me this weekend with the comments to Kevin Hansen and now this. Hope they’re both OK, but I can’t see either cars going again today.

Big shame for Bennet, really not what he needed. Dorian looks reasonably quick but as usual he’s just over driving and losing time in battles

that was CRAZY.

he forgot how many laps there were. 3 or 4 other people did too in other races, which was very weird.

based on this weekend it looks like the Hansens and Bakkerud will dominate the podium at the end of the year, with Gronholm and 1 or 2 of the GCK guys fighting for the top 5. Nitiss looked super good too. everyone else? at least it looks like the races will be close, but it feels like the overall level of the field is a LOT lower than the last 2-3 years.

I think Doran went from being the unluckiest driver since the start of the World RX in 2014 to the luckiest in this event. he's been quick in the past, but I think he needs more time with the car to really become competitive for the podium. glad he got on it this time.

There must have been official lap readout problems, like you said, several others throughout the racing had penultimate lap issues, including the final with two together going straight on at the first corner.

It wasn't a great start to the racing, but the heats definitely got better racing as they went on, the track developed enough to be more exciting towards the end.

10 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

Bakkerud has always been overly aggressive, that said I thought he looked genuinely shaken when interviewed at the start of Q4 so I am inclined to believe it was a genuine mistake. 

I am not a massive fan of Timmy Hansen, but that was a rubbish way for his weekend to end. 

As for Bennett I admire what he is doing but, even with deep pockets and an all-privateer field I think he is out of his depth. I still think he should have gained more experience at a National level before attempting the World Championship. 

• Agree 2