2019 FIA World Rallycross Championship

Yeah, the more you watch the ends of heats, you more you realise Bakkerud seriously thought it was the finish-line sprint.

I feel like the joker merger is to blame too. Not putting all the blame on it, but that merger is a serious design mistake.

Well yes, and no.  The commentators even said there are a few other tracks where they merge like that - there is generally no issue so long as everyone knows what lap they're on.

They have spotters, and usually good lap counters, but for whatever reason, they had massive lap counting issues the whole race meet.

It was a genuine mistake from Andreas, as others have said he wasn’t the only one to make that mistake, but it had the worst consequences. I think the issue could be partially solved if there was a temporary barrier outside the corner so that they couldn’t go straight on after the race had finished. I hope the Peugeot can be repaired as it looked like it had sustained heavy rollcage and chassis damage. It was heartbreaking watching Kevin helping Timmy out of the car, especially as someone who also competes in motorsport with their family.

As soon as I saw those if kerbs I knew someone was going to have an accident on them. It was a shame to see Bennet go over, but I agree that he is definitely out of his depth here. Overall not a great start to the championship this weekend. I was out watching other motorsportso I didn’t see the finals live, but I thought Niclas’ penalty seemed a little harsh, and I’m a fan of Kevin

• Agree 1

His penalty was basically to dock him the place, it seems fairly appropriate, he started to push him, giving Kevin no options, and he kept the boot down, that's straight up a rules violation.

• Like 1

oh so gronholm got penalized in the end? good, he deserved to be on the podium, but not the top step imo. that was a little too far over the line.

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, RallyDriven said:

***** what was bakkerud thinking?! He was never making it around that corner even if Timmy wasn’t there! I was quite a big fan of Andreas but he’s really disappointed me this weekend with the comments to Kevin Hansen and now this. Hope they’re both OK, but I can’t see either cars going again today.

@RallyDriven Which comments from Bakkerud to Kevin Hansen are you refering to ?

What a crazy and weird Abu Dhabi RX weekend. So much thoughts in my mind between sadness and enjoyable things.

Sadness

- The track

- Bennett

- Bakkerud's behaviour

- Gronholm vs Hansen's battle concludes with that unecessary move from Gronholm.

- GCK's starts...

- Those orange things in each curve.

Enjoyable :

- What a pleasure to see the World RX back.

- Competition is here and makes me feel great for this year.

- Hyundaï are here.

- Baumanis is here.

- Szabo is here.

- The Skoda looks promising.

- The Ibiza is here !

Edited by JamesMcAdam

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JamesMcAdam said:

@RallyDriven Which comments from Bakkerud to Kevin Hansen are you refering to ?

I think that he is talking about the press conference from Friday @JamesMcAdam

A comment about bumpers and the next time they were in the cars Andreas ploughed into Timmy! As I said in my previous post I have never really warmed to Timmy and, although it was a rubbish way for his weekend to end (and I wouldn't want to see him injured), it's hard to feel that sympathetic for him when he torpedoed that Megane at Estering last year.

I thought there was some smart driving from Liam, the move he pulled on Timerzyanov in the semi-final was great. Let's hope it lasts.

The landing from the jump looked really hard on the cars. I know there was a clip of Bennett nosing in on the landing during the press day, so I guess they had made some changes, but it still looked pretty rough.

I read some interesting comments with regards to the track design over the weekend, I didn't know there was more than one company involved in the design of the various "new" rallycross tracks, would explain the difference in quality between some of them!

Edited by tbtstt
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, tbtstt said:

A comment about bumpers and the next time they were in the cars Andreas ploughed into Timmy! As I said in my previous post I have never really warmed to Timmy and, although it was a rubbish way for his weekend to end (and I wouldn't want to see him injured), it's hard to feel that sympathetic for him when he torpedoed that Megane at Estering last year.

I thought there was some smart driving from Liam, the move he pulled on Timerzyanov in the semi-final was great. Let's hope it lasts.

The landing from the jump looked really hard on the cars. I know there was a clip of Bennett nosing in on the landing during the press day, so I guess they had made some changes, but it still looked pretty rough.

I read some interesting comments with regards to the track design over the weekend, I didn't know there was more than one company involved in the design of the various "new" rallycross tracks, would explain the difference in quality between some of them!

Wah.. that is not really good from him.

This was not a really good weekend for him. And he started the meeting with a weird joke during the begining press conf last thursday. Really weird from Bakkerud.

Edited by JamesMcAdam

I thought his comments about Kevin and his bumper were stupid before his incident with Timmy. It was hardly a big hit, and even if you are running on a budget you’ve got to expect some body damage over the course of the weekend. Yes it’s annoying to happen early on, but you can’t get pissy every time someone gives you a tap. Maybe get angry if they’re doing it constantly, but once isnt really an issue 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

I thought his comments about Kevin and his bumper were stupid before his incident with Timmy. It was hardly a big hit, and even if you are running on a budget you’ve got to expect some body damage over the course of the weekend. Yes it’s annoying to happen early on, but you can’t get pissy every time someone gives you a tap. Maybe get angry if they’re doing it constantly, but once isnt really an issue 

Yeah, especially not if you're a driver who hasn't been shy about trading paint in the past...

Edited by tbtstt
  • Like 1

So, the first weekend of World RX 2019 has passed, and pretty much I enjoyed it. Day 1 (friday) was quite calm, while day 2 (saturday) was a bit to exciting.

Track

I think the track is pretty good. If the track would be in the area of Hell, than everyone would loved it. So it is pretty much how you see it. Also quite some people were attending the event on Saturday. Though I not see anything rallycross potential yet. Not even a local 'top' driver rented a seat, so yeah.

Yes, the track has its flaws, and that are the stupid orange curbs. The joker merge itself is good i think, the problem is that the finish line is there as well and therefore influence the race on two sides, (1) the joker tactics (its faster to take the normal lap in the last lap) and (2) can cause crashes when someone think its the last lap. If the finish line would be after the first hairpin, the crash of Bakkerud/Hansen would never happened.

I think its fair that Bakkerud got a DQ from the event, though he pretty much couldn't do much about it to be confused about it (I think he had a lot of pressure with getting a programm together), and also a lot of others did.  

I think if they move the finish line to a different position, this problem will be solved.

The **** curbs, that made Bennett role and made Nitiss fly and made some punctures, is a bigger concern. It created some spectacular images, but I think especially Nitiss had been made very unlucky with punctures and flying. He had great speed and possible could had been on the podium. 

Drivers

Audi
Szabo - made a good impression, i think his lack of experience resulted in being next to the podium. But he was the most consistent of the Audi drivers imo.
Doran - improved with every session. At the right moment he was there and snathed a podium. 
Bakkerud - had a solid friday, and started well in Q3 as well till the incident. The speed is there i think, but I think the incident will hunt him the rest of the season and will not get the title.

Ford
Pal Try - One word 'legend' 😛 
Baumanis - Imo he was to much aggresive and lacked respect. In the final he missed the first corner as Szabo, but he took completly advanytage of it. The new STARD MK8 Fiesta seems better than the OMSE version of last year. Still could give some suprises during the season.

Hyundai
Timerzyanov - Cas has speed. Just if I see him driving, i just question myself how he ever became european champion. 
Grönholm - Car has speed, Grönhol has speed. He had some luck on his side in the semi-final. Should had been more patient and tactical in the final. If he keeps this up, he can fight for the title. 
Nitiss - Unlucky weekend where he showed he had speed for sure to go for a podium. Hope he gets more weekends, but I understood he will just do three events. 

MINI
Bennett - Not the weekend for him. 

Peugeot
Timmy - Speed and title contender. Unfortunate Bakkerud crashed into him.
Kevin - Solid, but it seemed he was full under pressure when Grönholm was behind him in the final. Hope the event gave him confidence.

Renault
Chicherit - A little bit of a quiet weekend. Was he actually there? Need to step up his game if he wants to fight for the title.
Marklund - Team leader at the moment. Unlucky in the semis, although he maybe was partially to blame to push Nitiss on the curb. Difficult to judge.
De Ridder - Needs time.
Raymond - Despite some issues with the car, i think he could make some suprises during the year.

SEAT
Scheider - Impressive showing overall. unfortunate a technical issue prevented him from the podium. But he could be an outsider for the title if he and the team can find a bit more speed and can be consistent during the season.

Skoda
Baciuška - Best supercar rookie. Car was not as fast as the top guys. That could be be partially Rokas, but also part the Fabia. Unfortunate an technical issue prevented him to be able to fight for a final spot. 

• Like 1

Personally I thought the track was ok. The merge wasn’t too bad, although I think they were lucky there were no collisions from merging (not including Hansen/bakkerud. There were a few close calls other than that. I think realistically the two most important things they need for next time is a proper off road section and something to stop them going straight on after the finish, either a different finishing position or a barrier across that part of the track

14 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Bakkerud - had a solid friday, and started well in Q3 as well till the incident. The speed is there i think, but I think the incident will hunt him the rest of the season and will not get the title.

Very good analysis @JorritVD

And +1 for Bakkerud. Too much pression and he strangely seems to not resist to it.

Kevin Hansen looks like he can challenge his brother. he's not quite as quick, but he's closer than almost everyone else in the championship. I think they will both be top-3 at the end of the season, unless they get as unlucky as Timmy was last year....

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, ianism said:

Kevin Hansen looks like he can challenge his brother. he's not quite as quick, but he's closer than almost everyone else in the championship. I think they will both be top-3 at the end of the season, unless they get as unlucky as Timmy was last year....

I hope Kevin does well this year, as he has frequently found himself in inferior machinery the last couple of years. 

I thought the 208 was fastest car on track last year, it just wasn't reliable. If they have resolved the reliability issues then the Hansen MJP cars are going to be the ones to beat this year, just hope they don't run away with it. Spain should be very interesting as I think it will give a better gauge as to the relative performance of all the teams.

Edited by tbtstt

27 minutes ago, b0yc1e said:

Just a heads-up, new BakkerudLIFE on YouTube !

Nice pile of bodywork at Ekstroms workshop 😂

Quick load up the tranny, no ones about !

I bet a little bit of wee came out when the flooded track grabbed him :classic_laugh:

Second British Rallycross round of the year on Lydden Monday, entry looks pretty decent so looking forward to that. 

PS: Awesome choice of avatar image @b0yc1e!

16 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Second British Rallycross round of the year on Lydden Monday, entry looks pretty decent so looking forward to that. 

PS: Awesome choice of avatar image @b0yc1e!

I'll have to keep a look out, The Retro rallycross is looking stronger than ever this year as well, can't beat a bit of nostalgia. (As for the avatar, got to give respect were its due,the bloke was a nutter behind the wheel and a genius in the workshop)

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, b0yc1e said:

I'll have to keep a look out, The Retro rallycross is looking stronger than ever this year as well, can't beat a bit of nostalgia. (As for the avatar, got to give respect were its due,the bloke was a nutter behind the wheel and a genius in the workshop)

Yeah, the Retros took a while to get going at Silverstone, but the semi-finals and finals were great. The entry looks really solid again at Lydden, Liam (Doran) is out in the Retros this time so I am hoping we get to some sideways antics!

110% agree with you: it's a shame that Martin is most known to the mainstream for "that" incident at Finland, but he was hugely talented on and off the track. 

10 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, the Retros took a while to get going at Silverstone, but the semi-finals and finals were great. The entry looks really solid again at Lydden, Liam (Doran) is out in the Retros this time so I am hoping we get to some sideways antics!

110% agree with you: it's a shame that Martin is most known to the mainstream for "that" incident at Finland, but he was hugely talented on and off the track. 

You say liam is doing retro, don't suppose you know if he's driving Rosie ?