2019 FIA World Rallycross Championship

21 minutes ago, ianism said:

really like those Clios. hope we get them in DR2.0 at some point, along with the i20

Yeah. Real shame that they seem to have so many issues: really wish that GCK had approached Prodrive with the Clio instead of the Megane!

• Agree 1

Not a bad ARX event. Suprised that Speed won again.

- The Mid-Ohio tracks looks quite a good track.
--- The first turn is a bit .... it causes at least some chaos. The transition to a loose surface is.
--- Overall the transisiton from tarmac to loose looks good. 
--- After that the first turns there is a nice fast flowing section which loosk pretty awesome with split second decisions to take the joker. 
--- Than the big hairpins, unfortunately not really possible to take more lines, but a mistake costs a lot of time.
--- Than the fast gravel section with a tricky braking point. and after that a long straight again.

Unfortunately not an increase of entries. 
- Actually this ARX event had the lowest entry record so far. Last year there were 10, 8, 9, 9 entries at the respective rounds. Now just 7.
- Overall the Impreza, Beetle and Fiesta are on the same level. 
- Bingham and Pecoy made quite a good debut imo, especilly when knowing they were not the top guys in ARX2 last year.
- Sometimes i do miss the GRC events, as there were more entries, but also more cars in the finals and not capped to just 6. 

I will be interested when Solberg will replace Sandell or Atko. Speed just enters the team and is immediately the fastest.

Although there is a base now with entries. I wonder how they will try to gain more entries. 
- Looks like Ken Block might still enter an event or two. His name and number is again on the Loenbro truck in the new colors (but maybe that is just pure markering, "look, we are friends with Ken")
- I think adding ARX3 is a good idea and people can now easier enter on a lower RX level. 

• Agree 1

I had real fun at Midohio ARX.Gotta meet all the guys and enjoyed the overcast ,as i didnt "fry" this way.Speed is beast, and i love how he races like its an all tarmac circuit.So tidy.

Was lot of fun.

Asked on the Loenbro IG page if Block will return in ARX this year. It seems he will be and it seems in a Fiesta. 🙂

just a heads up, this weekend is the World Rx championship round in Hell, Norway. today was the first two qualification races and Rx2, tomorrow (Sunday) are the remaining races including the semi-finals and final. 

you can stream all the races LIVE, for FREE, completely 100% legally on the world Rx youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFD78OTzB27H5HD4cjMp2JQ

1 hour ago, Tranzitive said:

just a heads up, this weekend is the World Rx championship round in Hell, Norway. today was the first two qualification races and Rx2, tomorrow (Sunday) are the remaining races including the semi-finals and final. 

you can stream all the races LIVE, for FREE, completely 100% legally on the world Rx youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFD78OTzB27H5HD4cjMp2JQ

pretty sure everyone here knows already, but thanks for pointing it out just in case

depending on the country, you might not get the semi-finals. these days the qualifiers are live for free, and they upload the final, but you only get highlights of the semis if you're in a country that doesn't have a TV deal with the FIA World RX Championship.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

What an insane weekend. Wah. So mad. This is why I love RX.

So disappointed for Marklund and GCK. Even if the rules are the rules, it's not fair for that team.

Kevin Abbring is the real surprise for me. What a nice drive.

Deception from the RX Cartel. I was waiting for a team strategy during the semi, Doran could have forced to slow cars behind him and secure a place for Bakkerud but no... and spotters were not at the highest level this weekend ! 🤔

By the way, the most fun RX weekend so far from long time. My little son was sleeping on my chest during the semis and the Final. You could easily imagine his lack of rest during this time :classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Edited by JamesMcAdam
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 6/17/2019 at 11:44 AM, JamesMcAdam said:

Deception from the RX Cartel. I was waiting for a team strategy during the semi, Doran could have forced to slow cars behind him and secure a place for Bakkerud but no... and spotters were not at the highest level this weekend ! 🤔

I actually think he was doing just that, seemed to be parking it on the apex to hold the others up, but maybe that's just me. 🙂 Bakkerud was struggling all weekend, the car setup was looked really bad. Understeer everywhere, shame.

Despite the DSQ for Marklund, it was still a great weekend of racing, looking forward to Holjes! Some great wildcard entries coming.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/10/2019 at 9:55 AM, JorritVD said:

Not a bad ARX event. Suprised that Speed won again.

Yeah, there are obviously a lot of factors at play, but it does make you question the situation at Subaru the last few years: has that car been closer to race winning pace than many thought and was it just the driver(s) holding it back? 

On 6/14/2019 at 3:48 PM, JorritVD said:

Asked on the Loenbro IG page if Block will return in ARX this year. It seems he will be and it seems in a Fiesta. 🙂

As much as the Focus seemed to be a fan favourite it still, despite a lot of effort, seems to be inferior to the Fiesta. I hope Block (and Arpin) manage to secure some decent results this year. They really need Block out there to push the numbers up as well.  

On 6/17/2019 at 11:44 AM, JamesMcAdam said:

What an insane weekend. Wah. So mad. This is why I love RX.

So disappointed for Marklund and GCK. Even if the rules are the rules, it's not fair for that team.

Kevin Abbring is the real surprise for me. What a nice drive.

Agreed with regards to Abbring, first time I think we have seen the true potential of that Fabia (and that must be reassuring for the team to see given how much money ES Motorsport have thrown at that car). 

I am not a Marklund fan, so I must admit I wasn't that sad to see him get disqualified. Bit of a blunder from the team there, I was debating the possible technical positives (or negatives) of their error after reading about it. 

I thought the penalty for Kevin Hansen was a bit strong, but then I thought the same when they penalised Gronholm in Abu Dhabi, so they are 1:1 now. Such a shame that Gronholm has missed two rounds as, even with multiple wins, it's going to be very difficult for him to close in on the leaders. 

Massively disappointed for Liam. I know he isn't everyone's favourite, but his drive in the semi and final was superb, such a shame the car let him down. 

• Like 2

Abbring was put really much as the "Rally man", but has quite a background in RX with his family and on his own. Ofcourse no recent experience or in Supercars. Next to that he has done some cup/gt racing and he is an instructor at GP Elite. So he has some racecraft. Don't know really whaty happened in the final, same as in the semi-final he lost time in the last time. This could be due to overheating tyres and tyre pressures or something. Will be interesting to see how he will be performing at Holjes. 

1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

Abbring was put really much as the "Rally man", but has quite a background in RX with his family and on his own.  

Yeah, Abbring did a lot of test miles in the ES Motorsport Fabia, so he knows that car better than most. Although he has no competition experience I'd say he's a lot more experienced with car setup than Rokas was in the Fabia. 

yeah, it was a great weekend!

don't forget Doran was very lucky to have gotten into the semis in the first place... though he's one of my favourite drivers so I was quite disappointed to see him go out the way he did.

thought the penalty on Kevin was fair. he really did block Gronholm quite badly, and ultimately it was only a 1 second penalty.

to completely disqualify Marklund kinda sucks though, because he compiled quite a few championship points over the weekend, which are now all gone. he was brilliant in the final. I'm not really a fan of his either, but I feel like it would've been enough to relegate him to last in that race and that's it, but I'm not the one who makes the rules now, am I?

Posted (edited)

Anyone know what the bumper mounting infraction was? I have to assume it was safety based for how seriously they took it, it certainly wasn't a performance thing which might otherwise explain them wiping out his points haul for the weekend.

Edited by F2CMaDMaXX

On 6/22/2019 at 7:01 PM, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Anyone know what the bumper mounting infraction was? I have to assume it was safety based for how seriously they took it, it certainly wasn't a performance thing which might otherwise explain them wiping out his points haul for the weekend.

It was thickness of material, rather than mounting. The regulations say that the maximum material thickness is 1.5mm, the GCK bumper was made from material that was 1.96mm.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

live qualy today, starts in about 90 mins from writing this post:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

Live watching is even better. It is going to be a great weekend.

jealous

all evening I rewatched the Q1, Q2 and Q3 (Euro RX) shows. Pff, plenty of action and crazyness happened so far. In World RX its crazy in the standings due to the changed conditions in Q2.

Bakkerud seems to have a small advantage due to be almost the only driver with two good runs (well, did a good job with damage limitations in Q2). But between positions 2 and 20 there is just 10 between it. Even Doran with his dreadfull day still only 11 points behind number 12. 

image.thumb.png.bc9dc3924ff1db32357b9d35eeadf794.png

De Ridder, Gehrman and Bennett had all day problems, but with their talents and/or cars i don't expect to see them able to fight back to the top 12 with this grid. 

Also with seeing the updated OMSE MK8 Fiesta going quite well, I think Bennett would do himself a favor and go with that the OMSE MK8 Fiesta next season in World RX or maybe even switch this year to the MK8 Fiesta already and maybe get a good deal with OMSE with also being part of testing. The MINI looks awesome, but it is just to unreliable. In the livestream they said OMSE will try to get the price of the Fiesta MK8 on 350.000 euro. Still a lot of money, but a factory car costs 500-600k, which are not being produced, nor being sold.  

It was a great weekend, with a bit of a surprise winner, but deserved. Special thumbs up for Reinis Nitiis for a great comeback after his roll in heat 1.

And offcourse a great effort from my fellow countryman Kevin Abbring with that low budget car. Low budget compared to other teams in the final that is.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What another great weekend. 

I have been watching every round in english with Andrew Coley's commentaries for 3 rounds now. What a big difference of intensity compared to the French ones.

It's so enjoyable and again this weekend, the spectacle was here.

Such a disaster for Bakkerud. Happy to see that Eriksson won in front of the Hansen's cartel (which really begins to annoy me).

This is this little issue in the Q2 that has been advanced. Bakkerud raced under rain. Hansens under dry condition. Weird, I may be paranoïac but it's something weird.

Funny to see the final podium with Eriksson without any sponsor in a unshaped suit ! :classic_biggrin:

Look forward to the next round.

#Mega

Edited by JamesMcAdam
  • Agree 1

I caught the final, it was a close one 🙂

It’s up on the WorldRX YouTube now (country restricted probably).

Haha, it was a chaos weekend. But good racing. Still need to see the semis. Bakkerud was overall the best driver, but the Audi's seems to be sometimes a bit unreliable this season. Could ofcouse be due the limited budget they run with. Awesome to see Sebastian Eriksson win the event. OMSE really improved that car (every time they mentioned that 19 of the 21 points of the cars are fixed 😛). F.e. the cooling of the car went in the back again (in comparising to last year spec car, which is also in DR2.0, and has the cooling like the Polo in the front). Hopefully with some good backing we see them full time back next season, or maybe in ARX to promote their car 🙂.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Haha, it was a chaos weekend. But good racing. Still need to see the semis. Bakkerud was overall the best driver, but the Audi's seems to be sometimes a bit unreliable this season. Could ofcouse be due the limited budget they run with. Awesome to see Sebastian Eriksson win the event. OMSE really improved that car (every time they mentioned that 19 of the 21 points of the cars are fixed 😛). F.e. the cooling of the car went in the back again (in comparising to last year spec car, which is also in DR2.0, and has the cooling like the Polo in the front). Hopefully with some good backing we see them full time back next season, or maybe in ARX to promote their car 🙂.

Yeah, with OMSE it's really a case of finding customers for their cars, that's what they're focusing on now. Hopefully the slightly cheaper (and fast) Fiesta brings more competitors in.

It's looking like the Hansen team will take both titles at this rate, Hyundai look faster on certain tracks but Timmy can make the lap times happen when he needs them. Bakkerud, although still high up in the standings is just not able to pull it together, and a lot of the development on the cars seems to cause them major issues.

• Agree 1