2019 FIA World Rallycross Championship

43 minutes ago, mats27 said:

Yeah, with OMSE it's really a case of finding customers for their cars, that's what they're focusing on now. Hopefully the slightly cheaper (and fast) Fiesta brings more competitors in.

It's looking like the Hansen team will take both titles at this rate, Hyundai look faster on certain tracks but Timmy can make the lap times happen when he needs them. Bakkerud, although still high up in the standings is just not able to pull it together, and a lot of the development on the cars seems to cause them major issues.

If a Hansen is gonna win I hope it'll be Kevin, really grown to dislike Timmy over the years

Definitely a good weekend of entertaining racing, don't forget that you can use a free easy vpn in chrome to see the live versions of finals in any country, that's how I see them all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Great weekend of racing and, once again, some different names on the podium which is exactly what was hoped for this season. 

Can't but help but think OMSE got their timing wrong returning to World RX: they really struggled last year but, despite some issues (and arguably home soil advantage) they were right in the mix in Holjes. Looks like they have reverted back to a conventional layout for the cars (with the cooling in the rear again)? I wonder how different the 2019 cars are to those used last year. 

Without meaning to sound like a social media conspiracy theorist, I did question some of the stewards decisions (or rather lack of decisions) in Sweden.  Timmy Hansen clearly pushed to pass in the semi-final, but nothing was said. Yet far lighter contact has been punished elsewhere? I am not keen on the lack of consistency. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Can't but help but think OMSE got their timing wrong returning to World RX: they really struggled last year but, despite some issues (and arguably home soil advantage) they were right in the mix in Holjes. Looks like they have reverted back to a conventional layout for the cars (with the cooling in the rear again)? I wonder how different the 2019 cars are to those used last year. 

Apparently they changed '19' things, whatever those are. 😂 The rads are in the back of the car now, they've cut a big hole in the rear (same as the Megane this year). The car struggled last year, although they did have to contend with the 3 factory teams, nobody could really get close to them.

The OMSE Fiesta indeed went back to the to the cooling in the back. Only the ES Fabia and the Munnich Ibiza have the cooling in the front this season.

I think there might be more reasons for this, (1) balance, (2) better cooling, (3) cooling in the front is complex, (4) more expensive, (5) and to sell cars, because in RallyX Nordic they not allow supercars with cooling in the front.

2 hours ago, JorritVD said:

I think there might be more reasons for this, (1) balance, (2) better cooling, (3) cooling in the front is complex, (4) more expensive, (5) and to sell cars, because in RallyX Nordic they not allow supercars with cooling in the front.

Cooling in the front is less complex: it's more akin a traditional engine setup and far less plumbing is required. Efficiency is a potential concern, but then there are potential efficiency pitfalls with a rear mounted cooling setup as well. Interestingly VW Motorsport hadn't ruled out switching to a rear mounted radiator setup when they first introduced the Polo, as they were concerned that the engine might struggle in higher ambient temperatures, but that never became an issue. 

Moving the radiators to the rear does improve weight distribution and moves that element out of harms way. 

I always thought that RallyX Nordic regulation stipulation was an interesting move. Given when it was introduced I wondered if it was done to prevent someone from buying a VW Motorsport Polo and dominating the Championship! (Not that VW Motorsport are very likely to sell a car on though)

3 hours ago, mats27 said:

(same as the Megane this year). 

I am still not entirely sure what Prodrive did there (my theory is that they were using vented radiator air/the rear of the car to act like a blown diffuser), but the regulations were changed very quickly after the Megane made it's debut: now air has to exit via the boot. 

2 hours ago, tbtstt said:

I am still not entirely sure what Prodrive did there (my theory is that they were using vented radiator air/the rear of the car to act like a blown diffuser), but the regulations were changed very quickly after the Megane made it's debut: now air has to exit via the boot. 

I think you're right about the Megane actually, that car's really interesting. This year it's not being supported by Prodrive as far as I know?

3 hours ago, mats27 said:

I think you're right about the Megane actually, that car's really interesting. This year it's not being supported by Prodrive as far as I know?

If I heard well, the Megane Baciuska was driving is still in last years Prodrive spec (and therefore maybe also faster 😛). I think the cars are now run by G-Fors? The same who build the Clio's? But i have no idea about this situation.

ya Prodrive is not involved anymore.

the livery on Baciuska's car is grrrreat by the way

would like to see the Clio in DR2 at some point actually, along with the Skoda. and the i20 obviously. 

also, 2019 liveries!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ianism said:

would like to see the Clio in DR2 at some point actually, along with the Skoda. and the i20 obviously. 

also, 2019 liveries!

Dude, you're right. We really need these 2019 liveries and cars. I'm ready to pay a lot for them. :classic_biggrin:

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, mats27 said:

Yeah, as @ianism said, Prodrive aren't involved this year. I have heard a couple of stories as to why, but I think funding is the most likely reason. 

16 hours ago, JorritVD said:

If I heard well, the Megane Baciuska was driving is still in last years Prodrive spec (and therefore maybe also faster 😛). I think the cars are now run by G-Fors? The same who build the Clio's? But i have no idea about this situation.

That would figure, as the Baciuska Megane has the old Prodrive steering wheel on it. Yeah, Fors Performance are running the cars now. To be fair the Meganes have been going pretty well this year. The Clios are bloody awful though, I feel sorry for De Ridder and Raymond: two talented drivers being wasted in two unreliable cars.

I see ES Motorsport are without a driver for Canada as Abbring is driving elsewhere. I wonder who they will get? 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, as @ianism said, Prodrive aren't involved this year. I have heard a couple of stories as to why, but I think funding is the most likely reason. 

That would figure, as the Baciuska Megane has the old Prodrive steering wheel on it. Yeah, Fors Performance are running the cars now. To be fair the Meganes have been going pretty well this year. The Clios are bloody awful though, I feel sorry for De Ridder and Raymond: two talented drivers being wasted in two unreliable cars.

I see ES Motorsport are without a driver for Canada as Abbring is driving elsewhere. I wonder who they will get? 

Would be cool if they got one of the ex-GRC guys in the car.

11 hours ago, ianism said:

also, 2019 liveries!

I wouldn't be suprised that in a possible season 3 and 4 a 2019 WRX DLC will come out.

F.e. in season 3
- Mini and i20 as cars (including their 2018 liveries)
- CotA and SA RX tracks

F.e. in season 4
- Skoda, SEAT and Clio as cars
- 2019 WRX livery pack
- Abu Dhabi and Spa RX tracks

Also still hoping for ARX cars, which maybe could be part of the seasons as well. 

And also hoping (again 😛) for the "older" Supercars, like the DS3, Polo, Focus, ...

2 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Deegan, Piquet, deJong, Ward, ...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

I wouldn't be suprised that in a possible season 3 and 4 a 2019 WRX DLC will come out.

F.e. in season 3
- Mini and i20 as cars (including their 2018 liveries)
- CotA and SA RX tracks

F.e. in season 4
- Skoda, SEAT and Clio as cars
- 2019 WRX livery pack
- Abu Dhabi and Spa RX tracks

same, but just one RX track per season, I bet. they're releasing two cars with each location, so if it's 2 RX cars, we'll get one RX track.

also, if 2/3 of the season 3 and 4 content is RX the user base for this game will go ******* nuts, and probably rightly so.

ultimately, if worst comes to worst people can still put 2019 liveries on racedepartment. someone has already done the RX Cartel ones.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tbtstt said:

To be fair the Meganes have been going pretty well this year.

the 6 fastest cars (the Hansens are running the early 2018 208s, which are slower, and their team is like 1/5th of what it was) and 3 of the fastest drivers aren't here. that'll help.

for me the most impressive has been Gronhölm.

hopefully OMSE sticks around for the rest of the championship. they're great!

[ps, sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone and can't edit an old post by adding a quote to it]

Edited by ianism

50 minutes ago, ianism said:

the 6 fastest cars (the Hansens are running the early 2018 208s, which are slower, and their team is like 1/5th of what it was) and 3 of the fastest drivers aren't here. that'll help.

for me the most impressive has been Gronhölm.

hopefully OMSE sticks around for the rest of the championship. they're great!

[ps, sorry for the double post, I'm on my phone and can't edit an old post by adding a quote to it]

Disagree about the earlier 208's being slower: I thought the earlier 208's looked more competitive than the evolution that followed. Timmy came close to success a couple of times in the first half of the season, but seemed more distant in the second half (at least to me anyway)

That is true with regards to the level of competition, though consider that the Megane is closer to the pace of many of the same cars it was fighting against last year (i.e. the Hansen 208's, EKS S1's and GRX i20's). 

I am gutted that Gronholm had to miss two rounds, as I was really hoping that he could take the title this year. I know it is still possible now, but as long as the Hansen duo keep posting consistent results one of them is surely going to win. 

1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

Also still hoping for ARX cars, which maybe could be part of the seasons as well. 

Well we already have one, so I hope more will follow... but it's the DS3 I desperately want! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianism said:

same, but just one RX track per season, I bet. they're releasing two cars with each location, so if it's 2 RX cars, we'll get one RX track.

also, if 2/3 of the season 3 and 4 content is RX the user base for this game will go ******* nuts, and probably rightly so.

ultimately, if worst comes to worst people can still put 2019 liveries on racedepartment. someone has already done the RX Cartel ones.

If your 1 track per season theory is correct I just hope that we get COTA and South Africa in season 3/4, wouldn't be able to stand if they left the 2018 season unfinished tracks wise

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

49 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Disagree about the earlier 208's being slower: I thought the earlier 208's looked more competitive than the evolution that followed. Timmy came close to success a couple of times in the first half of the season, but seemed more distant in the second half (at least to me anyway)

Rumour was that Timmy much preferred the first evolution of the car, and struggled with the second. I think the biggest change I've seen for the Hansen team is the fact the two brothers were building the garage at events themselves. :classic_tongue:

1 hour ago, ianism said:

According to those steam files 6 more locations will possible come in a possible season 3 and 4. 
My theory is that the two remaining Rally locations from DR1 will come, so Finland and Greece.
Than fits in perfectly for four more RX tracks, so the remaining 2018 tracks in season 3, and the two new 2019 tracks in season 4.

Maybe the Rally die-hard fans will go nuts indeed, but its quite logical that these 6 tracks it will be (also known than three of the four tracks are basically already in the F1 games).

It could also be that they might go to a smaller seasons. So seasons 3 has one rally and one rx location. and the same for season 4.
Than a seperate non season DLC for the 2019 WRX season. Maybe the die hard rally fans will than go less nuts?

Yeah, liveries on RD are only for non DLC cars and only for Steam. As a console user it is kinda useless.

59 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Well we already have one, so I hope more will follow... but it's the DS3 I desperately want! 

Yes, i think the DS3 is a populair car (as is the Focus) and it is still being sold as a road car and the DS3 RX car is also still widely used. Also have some footage of it on my YouTube.

1 hour ago, MattyH1812 said:

If your 1 track per season theory is correct I just hope that we get COTA and South Africa in season 3/4, wouldn't be able to stand if they left the 2018 season unfinished tracks wise

Yeah, agree. Although the Spa track seems to much cooler than those two.

48 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

I have some shots of those cars in action as well...

37171407951_2d716f3043_b.jpg

29841848825_c36f726680_b.jpg

...watching Solberg consistently smoke his tyres on the last corner at Loheac is one of the reasons I love the DS3 so much!

• Like 1

Whilst Incan see the point being made to include COTA to "complete" the season.  I 110% disagree about even starting to include it.

It's a horrendous track that was an instant fail the moment they started trying to race on it.

I'd much rather they didn't do anything re that atrocity but if they wanted to add another track, my vote is for the shock success that was this year's Spa RX.

It's a million times more interesting visually, technically and should be fun to drive than the boring plains of cota.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Whilst Incan see the point being made to include COTA to "complete" the season.  I 110% disagree about even starting to include it.

It's a horrendous track that was an instant fail the moment they started trying to race on it.

I am seriously torn on CotA: one half of me wants to see them to complete the whole 2018 season, but the other half doesn't care because the track was rubbish! 

• Like 1

Hmm, Maybe the CotA track not looks that well, but it’s pretty technical and fast which makes it a challenge. Overtaking is pretty difficult and starting on the outside is a big advantage. I think it might be surprise you positive well if it’s the game. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

Hmm, Maybe the CotA track not looks that well, but it’s pretty technical and fast which makes it a challenge. Overtaking is pretty difficult and starting on the outside is a big advantage. I think it might be surprise you positive well if it’s the game. 

Yeah, Silverstone is definitely more fun to drive then it is to watch, so perhaps CotA might be the same.

• Agree 1