2020 FIA World Rallycross Championship

I don't think we had a proper 2019 rallycross thread on the old forum, did we? With more news coming about the forthcoming World and GRC Europe Championships, I thought I'd start a thread up for all the 2019 rallycross Championships. 

Just seen the news that GRX have confirmed three cars for the World Championship in 2019:

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/article/10226/grx-taneco-launches-three-driver-programme

Full season for Gronholm and Timerzyanov with select drives for Nitiss. 

• Agree 1

I was completely out of the loop for the 2018 season, only picking up on the odd event. Will definitely make more of an effort this year!!

Yay!!!!!!!! Biggest thing for us in US is Mid-Ohio gets two rounds this year.Thats an hour drive for me ,i love it.Hope to get close to the action on brand new circuit.

How many entries are there now for 2019 WRX? I wonder what will happen if there is less than 12? It will make the qualifying a lot less exciting as it would only be for positions in the semi finals rather than an actual guaranteed place

Hmm, nice announcement for GRX. But I wonder why they not went for a full ERX programm with Nitiss. Then they could go for both WRX and ERX titles. 
Suprisingly no Loeb, so still the Peugeots than together with the Hansen family or his own team?
I also expect GCK to make an announcement (also 2+1) soon, plus hopefully. I wonder which suprises we still can get. Maybe Bakkerud, private Audi's?

51 minutes ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

I was completely out of the loop for the 2018 season, only picking up on the odd event. Will definitely make more of an effort this year!!

No works entries in 2019 @SirPhilMcKraken (so no Kristoffersson, Solberg or Ekstrom), but if they can get a decent complement of privateers it could be a very unpredictable season. 

34 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

How many entries are there now for 2019 WRX? I wonder what will happen if there is less than 12? It will make the qualifying a lot less exciting as it would only be for positions in the semi finals rather than an actual guaranteed place

Seven confirmed entries so far @RallyDriven: 

ES Motorsport - ? - Skoda Fabia 

GRX - Niclas Grönholm - Hyundai i20
GRX - Timur Timerzyanov - Hyundai i20 
Munnich Motorsport - Timo Scheider - Seat Ibiza 
STARD - Janis Baumanis - Ford Fiesta
STARD - ? - Ford Fiesta 
Xite Racing - Oliver Bennett - MINI Cooper 

Full list will be officially revealed in March, though I suspect we will get more announcements before then. 

31 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Hmm, nice announcement for GRX. But I wonder why they not went for a full ERX programm with Nitiss. Then they could go for both WRX and ERX titles. 
Suprisingly no Loeb, so still the Peugeots than together with the Hansen family or his own team?
I also expect GCK to make an announcement (also 2+1) soon, plus hopefully. I wonder which suprises we still can get. Maybe Bakkerud, private Audi's?

I'm not expecting Loeb, but the Hansen family have confirmed an entry in GRC Europe and are said to be putting something together for World Rallycross. Last I heard they were trying to acquire two of the 2019 Peugeot Sport 208's. 

Four of the EKS cars have gone to new homes now, but that still leaves four unaccounted for. If Bakkerud comes back this year then an EKS Audi is surely the most likely car. 

I wonder if Galli will commit in 2019, there is talk that he is working on the Kia again. 

25 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

No works entries in 2019 @SirPhilMcKraken (so no Kristoffersson, Solberg or Ekstrom), but if they can get a decent complement of privateers it could be a very unpredictable season. 

As much as its fun to watch those guys, they were the Red Bull/Merecedes AMG F1 of WRX so if we get a load of privateers then it could be nice and varied. Not just "Oh Johan has won again" lol

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Seven confirmed entries so far @RallyDriven: 

ES Motorsport - ? - Skoda Fabia 

GRX - Niclas Grönholm - Hyundai i20
GRX - Timur Timerzyanov - Hyundai i20 
Munnich Motorsport - Timo Scheider - Seat Ibiza 
STARD - Janis Baumanis - Ford Fiesta
STARD - ? - Ford Fiesta 
Xite Racing - Oliver Bennett - MINI Cooper 

Full list will be officially revealed in March, though I suspect we will get more announcements before then. 

I'm not expecting Loeb, but the Hansen family have confirmed an entry in GRC Europe and are said to be putting something together for World Rallycross. Last I heard they were trying to acquire two of the 2019 Peugeot Sport 208's. 

Four of the EKS cars have gone to new homes now, but that still leaves four unaccounted for. If Bakkerud comes back this year then an EKS Audi is surely the most likely car. 

I wonder if Galli will commit in 2019, there is talk that he is working on the Kia again. 

Thanks @tbtstt ! That's a good idea.

We can say that Guerlain Chicherit is already confirmed : https://www.instagram.com/p/BtonjbCAZ3C/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet and https://www.instagram.com/p/Btl2XKuBton/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

The big question is : with ou without the British Bomb ? 🙂

And for sure, we will see Loeb / Solberg and co during individual events (Lohéac, Hell or Holjes are definitely these events which we should see a full supercar entries). IMO 🙂

Edited by JamesMcAdam

9 minutes ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

As much as its fun to watch those guys, they were the Red Bull/Merecedes AMG F1 of WRX so if we get a load of privateers then it could be nice and varied. Not just "Oh Johan has won again" lol

Yep, absolutely. Although I am gutted Petter isn't driving this year I was actually glad when PSRXVW announced they wouldn't be back in 2019: with no other works teams to challenge them I think they would have walked this season. 

As an aside I also think it will be a good thing for Kristoffersson: I don't think he got anywhere near enough praise for his performance last year, he now has a different Championship to prove himself in. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMcAdam said:

Thanks @tbtstt ! That's a good idea.

We can say that Guerlain Chicherit is already confirmed : https://www.instagram.com/p/BtonjbCAZ3C/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet and https://www.instagram.com/p/Btl2XKuBton/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

The big question is : with ou without the British Bomb ? 🙂

And for sure, we will see Loeb / Solberg and co during individual events (Lohéac, Hell or Holjes are definitely these events which we should see a full supercar entries). IMO 🙂

Yeah, GCK will almost certainly be back, the question is with who! Doran, Marklund or someone else? 

I also wonder if they will use two or three cars this year. The third Megane was trashed at the end of last year. 

What do you think of spa @tbtstt? Me and a friend were kind of loosely talking about possibly going this year. The track looks like it could be decent. They’ve got rxlites and s1600’s there too.

Just now, RallyDriven said:

What do you think of spa @tbtstt? Me and a friend were kind of loosely talking about possibly going this year. The track looks like it could be decent. They’ve got rxlites and s1600’s there too.

I'm a bit pessimistic @RallyDriven. Eau Rouge/Radillon is a spectacular corner for F1 and WEC cars, but I'm not sure it will be as impressive with rallycross cars. Aside from that section of track the rest of the rallycross layout looks to be based in a car park so, if I'm honest, my expectations are pretty low.

I have done Mettet on multiple occasions, but I doubt I'll go to Spa this year. Might be more tempted once I have seen it on TV. My mates are thinking the same and without group interest it doesn't really work for me anyway (rallycross weekends are expensive on my own!)

At present I think I'll be doing Silverstone and Loheac this year. 

• Like 1

Yeah I was thinking similar, I’ll wait to see how the championship and track is looking closer to the time. Should hopefully be doing silverstone anyway. May is already quite a busy month for me anyway!

28 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

Yeah I was thinking similar, I’ll wait to see how the championship and track is looking closer to the time. Should hopefully be doing silverstone anyway. May is already quite a busy month for me anyway!

May has seemed to be the busiest month for motorsport the last few years now: Blancpain, British MX and two World rounds over four weekends! 

Silverstone is much better priced this year, plus it is a European Championship round, so should be worth a look. 

Loheac is an awesome weekend so definitely aiming to do that. 

6 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

May has seemed to be the busiest month for motorsport the last few years now: Blancpain, British MX and two World rounds over four weekends! 

Silverstone is much better priced this year, plus it is a European Championship round, so should be worth a look. 

Loheac is an awesome weekend so definitely aiming to do that. 

Yeah we were originally looking at Loheac last year, but I think my mate has been put off by all the manufacturers pulling out. May is busy for me because my sister is getting married!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

Yeah we were originally looking at Loheac last year, but I think my mate has been put off by all the manufacturers pulling out. May is busy for me because my sister is getting married!

If you can convince him to go its a brilliant weekend. Maybe not the best track, but it's good for spectating and the atmosphere there is always great. 

Is silverstone cheaper this year? I’ll definitely try and go as it’s only half an hour from me. It just annoys me that they are putting on the stupid festival later. They announced Sean Paul as the headliner the other day, a man who I would literally leave the country to avoid seeing

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RallyDriven said:

Is silverstone cheaper this year? I’ll definitely try and go as it’s only half an hour from me. It just annoys me that they are putting on the stupid festival later. They announced Sean Paul as the headliner the other day, a man who I would literally leave the country to avoid seeing

Yeah, it's much cheaper this year. Advance tickets are £70ish for the weekend, last year it was double that! If it's run like last year then you can watch the racing then get out of there before the music starts. If the European Championship round gets a decent entry then I think they may have to relocate the stage to the other side of the track or risk running out of space for the teams to set up (though, given that PSRXVW and EKS aren't there, they may have a bit more paddock space to play with).

3 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, it's much cheaper this year. Advance tickets are £70ish for the weekend, last year it was double that! If it's run like last year then you can watch the racing then get out of there before the music starts. If the European Championship round gets a decent entry then I think they may have to relocate the stage to the other side of the track or risk running out of space for the teams to set up (though, given that PSRXVW and EKS aren't there, they may have a bit more paddock space to play with).

Yeah we got out quite quick last time. I can’t imagine many people stayed for the music last year, don’t know how many will this year. I’ll wait until a little closer to the time until I get tickets, last year I waited and got them 20% off through the MSA

4 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

Yeah we got out quite quick last time. I can’t imagine many people stayed for the music last year, don’t know how many will this year. I’ll wait until a little closer to the time until I get tickets, last year I waited and got them 20% off through the MSA

Good call. I am hoping to be there as media again, but my mates bought tickets a month or so ago and got a discount. 

The few pictures I saw of the live music last year showed a pretty thin crowd. I would consider staying if they put someone on I really liked, but Sean Paul isn't that artist...

40 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Good call. I am hoping to be there as media again, but my mates bought tickets a month or so ago and got a discount. 

The few pictures I saw of the live music last year showed a pretty thin crowd. I would consider staying if they put someone on I really liked, but Sean Paul isn't that artist...

#NoFleetwoodMacNoBuy

Nothing would please me more than seeing Sean Paul performing to a crowd of 10 middle aged, drunk men

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Here's the Yas Marina circuit:

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/article/10233/yas-marina-circuits-world-rx

Uses some of the Formula 1 layout (Turns 5/6/7 for the Joker) along with the additional roads that make up other configurations.

Image result for yas marina rallycross circuit map

There is an onboard clip doing the rounds on Facebook. It looks like another CotA: flat, featureless and dull.

Edited by tbtstt

GCK confirm a four car (two Meganes & two Clios) entry into the 2019 World Championship:

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/article/10239/gck-launches-four-car-assault-on

Chichiret will be joined by Anton Marklund in the second Megane, Cyril Raymond and Guillaume de Ridder will be in the Clios.

I'm not sure how competitive that Clio is: would rather have seen Raymond in the Megane and Marklund in the Clio. Surprised not to see Liam Doran involved as well. 

That certainly gives the entry numbers a significant boost though!